If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

By the way, @lrdgck, do you know the name of the song that starts at 24:17?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    "Droga do Warszawy" ("A Road to Warsaw") by Feliks Konarski. Written at some point between March and May of 1942 on the trail from USSR to Persia.
  • lrdgck wrote: »

Arachno-communism is a system of political and economic government where the people are governed freely and fairly by giant spiders. Though arachno-communism has never been successfully put into practice, it has been portrayed in several successful and unsuccessful films, such as Starship Troopers and Starship Troopers 2; the documentaries Arachnophobia and Eight-Legged Freaks

--edit--

Any of you guys follows Fuck No TV Tropes on tumblr? I have a vague impression I already saw some of the tumblr handles showing up in there.

Saw it linked a few times here and there, seems to be legit criticism mixed with some of SA's old moral panic and a hint of handwringing about problematic minutiae. 
  • edited 2015-09-02 13:25:36
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'm asking 'cause they brought up that one review I wrote when in a mood for some trollery. It would be fun, were I to find out one of you guys dissed me for it.

--edit--

Oh, and by the way. Yes, I was quite pleasantly surprised one can run a TVT-dissing blog without the stupidity the guys at SA did.

• Well, after all the SA thread did have a good run early on, before it turned into nerds-making-fun-of-nerds.
  • edited 2015-09-03 04:32:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So, today, I threw starfish.

Don't throw starfish.

Alternatively, I did something I should not have done, and certain consequences occurred as a result.

A feature for locking one's Android phone is a "knock code".  Setting a knock code (which involves touching various parts of the screen, like a staccato version of the pattern) prompts the user for a PIN, in case the user messes up the knock code too many times.  It is possible to proceed without setting a PIN.

If the user chooses to do so, then does mess up the knock code too many times, the phone asks for a "backup PIN".  This is a PIN that neither one's carrier nor the phone's manufacturer knows.  The only known way to get around this is to do a hard reset.

I am not sure if other locking features, such as pattern-drawing, also ask for but don't require a PIN.

I don't feel like finding out, currently.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, I met an uncle of mine (as in, older male relative not of direct line of descent). He's one of those people who stop leveling once they max out, he must've maxed out around seventy. Told us how he used to pick up Jewish chicks at discos before the war. You know, I kind of wonder how did stuff look like, back then. There were more than enough problems, for sure. But stories like that make me feel it was... more colourful, perhaps?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfermium_Wars

Well, that's a spiffy name for an odd thing to argue about.
    Is StarOffice much used anymore these days?

Holy shit, what did I just watch.

One of those monster movies. Involved man-eating bats bred by a mad scientist, if I got it right (they ate him out of revenge at the end). Made them super-intelligent and teamworking and omnivorous, so they could survive anywhere. Of course, omnivorous meant mostly humans. He also made them look like bad animatronic puppets of some demonic bat from a horror movie or whatnot. Since they menaced a Texan town, the fight against them came down to a hot female bat scientist and a handsome local sheriff, or something like that.

• edited 2015-09-12 14:34:36
    Diet NEET
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/11/terrorist-troll-pretended-to-be-isis-white-supremacist-and-jewish-lawyer.html

Honestly, if it wasn't for the dude's belief that SJWs pose a serious threat and the tackiness of stooping to concrete threats of violence, I'd buy him a beer. Especially because of the fact that he wrote ironic hate pieces on his own race that will surely make the /pol/ peeps even more paranoid about Jewish infiltrators than before.
  • edited 2015-09-13 15:27:02
    Things I need to tell flatmate:
    1. Don't put the brush or the sponge up onto the drying rack.
    2. Don't dump significant pieces of cheese into the drain strainer.  In fact, you should have eaten them in the first place.
    3. In general, since you cook with butter, be wary of spreading grease everywhere.
    4. If you've used butter, make sure to either quarantine where the butter goes, or wash the skillet handle with detergent.
    5. Don't wipe your greasy hand onto the towel on the counter.
    Had to clean up after flatmate (or, well, simply neglect everything and then possibly have grease everywhere and have my towel smell).

I would have been late to church.  So instead I just didn't feel like it and been sitting here for about half an hour working off feeling upset at him.
  • Be more blunt, then watch him not pay attention to any of it unless you promise to dump dirty items on his bed until he cleans it. 
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    It sounds like your life has become a real life version of one of those "two people who are incompatible move in together" sitcoms.
  • edited 2015-09-14 05:24:01
    He's actually pretty apologetic and...I'm not sure the right word, but maybe "concessional"? about it.  As in, at least he has acknowledged that he's in error and willing to correct it.

Though it is true that he is of a pretty different character from me -- much more chatty/hyped/etc. than I am.  And not as much of a clean freak.  And he does spend far more time watching/playing stuff than I do -- it may seem odd coming from me, but it's certainly true.  He just spent an entire couple days playing Dark Souls, and was watching We Bare Bears (or however that's called) right before going to bed.  He has his phone everywhere he goes, constantly producing anime or J-pop or some western cartoons or Zero Punctuation or Magic the Gathering commentary.  Contrast that to my distractions, which are almost all text-based.  (I pride myself on having low-bandwidth hobbies, then turn around only to realize that I've just made it horribly easy for myself to procrastinate.)  Also has different tastes in J-pop -- he prefers "cool" stylings while I'm more into heartwarming emotional stuff.  (Though I think we both enjoy epic/grand songs.)

He also has less homework hanging over his neck, so he probably has reason to feel more lively.

Edit: And I just noticed, he's got a greater variety of these "geeky entertainment" hobbies than I do.  He basically shares my hobbies with me (TF2, 100% OJ, Ys games, etc., plus watching anime in general, though he does more of that) and then has a bunch more.  I even remember him mentioning Hearthstone.  I think the only hobbies of mine he doesn't share is my passion for music and my interest in politics.

That said to be honest we also go about the shared hobbies in slightly different ways, like how I spend far more time talking about the game industry and also get into the weeds of my favorite games while neglecting the popular ones, while he's more of a generalist in keeping up with the news but not focusing as much on particular games as I do.
  • edited 2015-09-16 18:19:32
    Diet NEET
    http://www.themarysue.com/tv-tropes-restores-rape-tropes-but-disturbing-questions-remain/

We made it, fam, link gives the image that we're all self-confessed pedophiles(mods in the comments are already correcting them). Also they link the Hitler thread, so I'm secretly hoping Mary Sue writers trawl the archives on the regular for making their nerd newszine and are thus forced to read through all of my asinine posts. 
  • What's the deal with that site, anyway? I hadn't heard of if ever until a few months ago, and now it seems to be the go-to SJ news source.
  • edited 2015-09-16 18:29:16
    Diet NEET
    It has been a feminist nerd site for years now, probably recently saw a spike in popularity due to muh nerd culture wars. Comparing their items to DailyDot and the Verge and zines like that, they really don't seem that unique. 

[Fuck, it's from 2012, now I've edited my post in that linked thread to be extra offensive for nothing]
    Dining hall had Hispanic Food day.

I missed the Costa Rican empanadas.  And something else.  Only things left when I got here (at like 9:30 PM) was Guatemalan ceviche, and fruit punch.
    I was using the bathroom in a public space just now and noticed that the flush pump was solar-powered.  It's not even in a place with sunlight, yet it's solar-powered.  Well, more like light-powered.  I suspect it's that even the intermittent indoor lighting is enough to power something that comparatively small and intermittently-used.

So what could be easily powered by photovoltaics?  Something that uses relatively little power, or uses it intermittently, such that simply sitting in daylight can easily charge it to full.  Would have the advantage that it could be used even when the mains go out.  So basically, I'm thinking of a low bar that doesn't even yet include stuff that's "must be on" -- i.e. excluding baseload demands.

How about:
    * electric garage door (on a standard modern suburban house)
    * lawn sprinkler timer
    * streetlights and door lights
    * heck, a little weird to think this way, but...those switch timers that you put on lamps to make it look like you're still home even when you're on vacation by having them turn the lights on/off automatically.
    Heck, you could probably even do this for a few other things like electric razors.

Availability, cost, and safety of materials for both the photovoltaic cells and for the power storage battery might be a bigger concern though, depending on how they're made.
  • Flush pump? You mean the mechanism inside the toilet's tank? That doesn't need energy at all.

If you mean the pump that pumps water from a reservoir to toilets (or whatever), I wonder why they're indoors. That said, it's making good use of the fact that the energy is stored right there in the toilet's tank, which as I understand is a big limitation for homemade power.

I figure you can similarly use that to fill a rooftop reservoir. Maybe?
    Well yeah as I understand it the flush itself just needs to be set off, but is otherwise all powered by, ultimately, water pressure.  The mechanism to set it off can be photovoltaic-powered and uses very little power.
    I have just discovered that the dimensions of at least one version of a standard Chinese restaurant zodiac placemat are 10 inches by 14 inches.

Sometimes folks you're mildly distancing yourself from come up with something that you just can't help but laugh:

"This weird illness [the discussion involved a possibility of illegal immigrants spreading diseases] is Islam."

"What is it treated with?"

"Pork."

(I tried to translate it word-for-word
    to convey the sentence structure and overall flow, so if it feels awkward, you know why. The bracketed explanation is mine, in case somebody needed that clarified.)

I'm too busy browsing the internets to play a video game.
  • There's been a fucking bird perched next to home that flies down and screeches to my left ear (it's always the left ear) whenever I go out.
    Are you sure it is not a reincarnated politician?