If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2013-06-15 16:32:40
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Solved "Counting to 100" in 71 cycles, "Three" in 28 24 symbols, and "Precious Oxygen" is... I don't even know what the fuck. (Though to be honest, I was sort of hedging my bets on this type of challenge showing up, where I can play to my strengths and focus more on merely solving the puzzle than optimizing it.)

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-15 14:28:21

You...solved a puzzle that requires 100 fusions to output a single atom, and has to do that 10 times...in less than 100 cycles?  Sure you didn't forget a couple zeroes?

EDIT: OH GODDAMMIT WILDM.  MOTHERFUCKING FUCK.  STUPID ELEMENT THETA.  >:[

Well 3100-ish is a great solution if you don't know that...

I killed a whole sheet of paper trying to map out a function map for Precious Oxygen in one waldo (and of course, then had an epiphany when I didn't have paper and wrote the correct one in a text file).  Conceptually, I can do it without having to do a horrible 10-direction array or anything -- the control flow is actually less intimidating than it sounds if you get creative on how to come out of the splitter properly -- but space will be a concern because there are a lot of subsections.  I've identified like seven key areas that all have to have their own pathing.

• Man, if I didn't know better I would never guess Spacechem is a videogame just by seeing people talk about it. It's kind of weird.

• Okay, now that I know that thing about Element Theta, I got in the right range.

• Been playing a little inFamous 2 (second run, Hard mode, Evil karma) and a LOT of Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.  I can get pretty lost in my strategy RPGs....

• Whelp, been on a Hedgehog binge with Colors, 3&K and Generations. I is having lots of fun.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You may be interested in this: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete_(hack)

(FYI, Tiddles, one of the devs of it, is a common acquaintance of mine and Monsoon's, hailing from the Caves of Narshe.)

• On Wii Virtual Console.

And fuck this Special Stage 6. I don't need Super/Hyper Sonic that badly.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-16 00:19:24

I don't remember ever having that much trouble with the S3&K special stages themselves, but I do remember they seem to have forgotten to put any of the damn giant rings anywhere other than Mushroom Hill and the first half of Sandopolis.

Didn't help that the deadline to get all the emeralds in S&K was only four stages in.

• Eh, I suppose I'll grab them after beating it normally.

oh GOSH, Hugo Fact controls NOTHING like Yunica (who controls like an Adol clone).

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-16 16:26:52

If you're playing as Hugo, get very, very used to carpal tunnel syndrome.  He rather desperately needed a turbofire.  When I did Nightmare Boss Rush with him and his Ex-version, it actually killed my wrist for the better part of a week and a half.  This is the second time in my life I have ever physically injured myself playing a video game.

Also, the Spacechem tourney first round results are up!

OH GOD PSEUDODUDE WHAT DID YOU DO

Torchlight will be free on GOG until Thursday (morning in the US, afternoon/evening elsewhere).

Even if you already have the Steam version, this one's worth picking up for the soundtrack and other goodies.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-21 00:43:03

Grr...I'm stuck at 28 symbols for Three.  I get the feeling you used the same loop I did to prepare each isocyanic but managed to twist the one hydroxyl without adding a kink onto the other path.  That or you dysync'd it and killed repeated inputs.

EDIT: I'm also completely dead in the water on Precious Oxygen, at least for one waldo (wasn't anything particularly horrible with two for participation points, but the winners will all have one).  Maybe if the reactor was another two slots taller, but as is I can't get enough space to use the sensor like I need to.

• I'm at Ostorea Castle in Knight of Lodis.  In this game, all of your characters start with 0 MP and normally gain a small amount every turn. Now that I have three summon spells, this is 99% of my strategy:

1) Get melee units in front of summoners

2) Use Fluid Magic on my summoners (fills their MP)

3) Profit.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

That feel when you work out a one-waldo solution for Precious Oxygen the day after the level is introduced, but hesitate to actually tell anyone that you've done so.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-21 15:46:58

hahaha >:(

The depressing part is I could probably do it pretty easily if I just knew where to place the devices.  Right now I have the fuser top-middle, splitter a bit lower, and bonders for waste and the sensor to use the waste as flags at the bottom.  I have a V sensor leading to a 3-bounce set up to store/grab sulfur and deliver oxygen from each side at the end of the sequence, and I can get as far as splitting the gadolinium without much trouble.  The problem is there's not QUITE enough vertical space to get the germanium to the splitter in the MIDDLE of the process.

Week 3 of the tourney is underway, and ooooh boy. Particle smashing. Here we go.

(The challenge level is neat, though. A first foray nets me a 436/54 solution.)

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-22 00:44:19

The fill-in-the-blank one?  I'm about 2/3 through that.

I've got...ideas for the first two.  I already have the critical section's framework, so mostly it's a matter of streamlining the path and overlapping actions.

Here's a great essay, from Christine Love (famous for her Analogue: a Hate Story visual novel), about the Super Game Boy, a peripheral for the SNES that allowed people to play Game Boy games on the TV.

http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-game-boy-introduction

Yes, despite the article's name, it actually goes into quite great detail talking about how the SGB produces color, and produces the multitude of colors it does -- it's not limited to 4 colors at a time for a reason, and that reason is quite a bit of creativity on the part of the designers.  A few other things are covered too.  And you get to see examples of games that used the SGB well...and ones that didn't, too.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

This is the greatest thing and I don't even play Animal Crossing.

• (famous for her Analogue: a Hate Story visual novel)

>Not Digital: A Love Story

Week 2 results are in! Nowhere close to the top 8 for Counting to 100 or Precious Oxygen (though my radioactive generator was highlighted), but picked up first place for Three somehow:

• The more I play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the more I want to just give up and replay Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. 

• Grats!

I was very surprised to see I placed at all on that round, much less twice.

• Jeezus, you guys make Spacechem look easy.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-06-23 03:41:59

It's one of those things that once you start seeing it in the right ways, it becomes easier than it looks, and if you don't, the easiest things look impenetrable.  Usually.  Some puzzles are exactly as much of a bitch as they look (dioxin, L-DOPA).

For instance, seeing the first six cycles of Blueeyedrat's approach made me feel very silly about mine and all the hours I spent trying to desync it properly to cut symbols.

I sort of fumbled through the story mode on my own, but most of the really useful stuff I know about the game I learned from the previous tournament.  Competing in this one and actually placing in a few puzzles, sometimes above the very people I learned tricks from in the first place, is a very odd feeling.  High-level competition in this game very much works on eureka moments, and those can hit anyone, anywhen -- I've had more than a few coming out of a sound sleep at 5 AM, and I seriously doubt I'm the only one.

Alternately, you can stay up until 5 AM beating your head against something, go to bed, wake up later, stare at the terrifying mess of waldo ganglia you created last night in a sleep-deprived stupor, and think "what the fuck was I doing???"  That's like the quintessential Spacechem moment.

• >Death Egg Zone

>Stuck at Upside Down Conveyor of Death and Missiles

>No rings

Yay.

• edited 2013-06-24 21:53:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The Security System battle in Energy Breaker is the hardest battle I've fought so far.  Unlike most battles, you have attacks coming at you from all four directions.  And the boss gets three ranged attacks per turn.  And you do nearly jack damage to the boss and its two main elite mooks.  And you can't step on a certain part of the map.

You REALLY need to think this one through before going in.

• Spacechem Round 3.

I've got Synthesis below 150 and Templates below 400.  The hydrogen glitch one I...can't even get working.