If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I am about 3/4ths finished with Antichamber (I have the red gun). I also managed to get into the Prototype Gun Room without really meaning to. Apparently that's a bonus of some sort.

I like the game for the most part but the block-sliding puzzles they start handing out after you get the yellow gun are kinda tedious. I also have to really pound on my mouse's scroll wheel to get it to middle-click, but that's hardly the game's fault.

I do have to say I feel the game was oversold, but that's not the game's fault either.

I downloaded an old puzzler called SubTerra. It's pretty alright.

• edited 2013-05-01 10:07:06
    To be or not to be? That is the question.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/ SHADOWRUN RETURNS.

Also, someone give me a reason to get a Vita besides Ys: Memories of Celceta / Foliage Ocean in Celceta.

From what I've seen of Gravity Rush, it looks like an amazing game.

That said, I don't own the console, and thus have not played it myself.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-02 05:02:39

I just picked up Edge again, going for the prisms and achievements I missed.

I had preemptively given up on the one for S+ on all normal levels on account of them being ridiculous enough already, but once I realized you're supposed to cheese edge time every time you ascend or wait for moving blocks it became surprisingly plausible.  I'm half done.

EDIT: On another note, QUBE had an update recently with some new achievements and a couple new puzzles.

The problem is, they also changed the way it saves your game, and something got borked in converting the new stuff across.  Lots of people are getting corrupt save files that refuse to update or track stats, which makes it impossible to get one of the new achievements.

EDIT 2: On a more unnerving note, I just got an email that seems to indicate my WoW account got hacked.  The really eyebrow-raising thing about this is I haven't touched the account for nearly two years and it was one of the few things I didn't use a duplicate password for, so I get the feeling it was a security breach from their end.

• As expected, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a hoot. 

I like that I didn't need to get the original game.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Deviljho, get out of my missions. Not that it'll do you any good now. You've already crossed the line with your continuous spiteful appearances. But now I'm going to relish when I can take you on in your own G-Rank mission. Just you and me, a good weapon and no interferences. Then I'm going to shove my switch axe down your throat, all the way to your fetid genitals, and activate the burst. 

I don't give a damn if you attack me, but ensuring that I miss a contract deadline? You made me look unprofessional, Deviljho, and now I'm going to make you perish. A lot. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've been playing a whole lot of Fire Emblem Awakening over the past few days.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a tactics game (or maybe even a JRPG) more than this one.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I like that I didn't need to get the original game.

You should, though, because it's really good.

Deviljho

Is this actually pronounced "Devil Joe?" Because that's how I've been reading it.

• Definitely not gay.

Should I get Sleeping Dogs?

switch axe

>not dual blades

Alex, I am disappoint. 

Is this actually pronounced "Devil Joe?" Because that's how I've been reading it.

It is pronounced "Devil Joe". I think. I'm not sure there are always correct pronunciations for Monster Hunter creatures. How would you pronounce "Lagiacrus"? Or "Rathian"? Probably much differently to how I do.

But I say "Deviljho" like "Devil Joe". Or sometimes "Lucy". 

>not dual blades

Dual blades are like, my lowest priority. If I'm not switch-axing or longswording, I'm greatswording or hammering. If I'm not using those, I'm probably using a sword and shield, or one of the lance types. Then the hunting horn. Then the bows and bowguns.

Then I might think about using dual blades. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Should I get Sleeping Dogs?

Admittedly I'm not intimately familiar with it, but it seemed kind of bland to me.

• Definitely not gay.

Barry-oth

Jiggy-nocks

Wrath-ian 

Wrath-a-lose (rhymes with "toes")

Tiger-ex

Ludd-roth

Devil-joe

Laggy-uh-cruise

See-a-deus

Dire Mee-rah-lis

• Definitely not gay.

it seemed kind of bland to me.

Sometimes innovation isn't always a requirement for a good game. Plenty of great games are about delivering the most solid experience possible, not creating something new. 

• edited 2013-05-02 13:51:57
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, I'm well aware of that.

When I say "it seemed kind of bland to me" about a game, I don't mean that it seems unoriginal. Just that it seems boring.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Sleeping Dogs is a great game. Short though. Combat system reminds me of Arkham Asylum/City.

• edited 2013-05-02 13:53:59
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

I pronounce "Rathian" and "Rathalos" with a difference "Rath". "Rathian" is "Wraith-ee-an" to me, while "Rathalos" is "Wrath-a-loss". 

"Lagiacrus" is either "Lah-gee-ah-crus" or "Lag-eye-ah-crus" depending on nothing at all. 

"Gigginox" is "gig-i-nocks". I can't stand the "j" sound at the beginning because the thought of Gigginox getting jiggy with it already haunts my nightmares, and my waking thoughts are usually free of that image. 

"Plesioth" is "Please-ee-oth", with the sound derived from "Plesiosaur". 

Combat system reminds me of Arkham Asylum/City.

As solid as the system is from a polish and accessibility point of view, I feel as though the combat in those games is easily their weakest element. Especially considering how excellent the stealth and general tomfoolery with technology is. 

• edited 2013-05-02 13:54:37
    Definitely not gay.

Well...yeah, from what I've seen of it it's pretty much a GTA/Saints Row clone. But is it a good Saints Row clone? 

Mind you, I've only seen the PS3 version, and we all know that PS3 version is worst version.

Gigginox getting jiggy with it

That should have been its taunt animation. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Sleeping Dogs is an amazing game with a beautiful city and awesome story
  • edited 2013-05-02 14:16:34
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Well...yeah, from what I've seen of it it's pretty much a GTA/Saints Row clone. But is it a good Saints Row clone?

I found it pretty fantastic. They put a lot of detail into their Hong Kong, and the plot is basically a send up to every awesome Kung-Fu movie ever. Though the combat is a tad unpolished.

Also, Dual Blades are great in Monster Hunter simply for how mobile they make you and how effective they are at applying elemental damage and status effects. The Sword and Shield is similar, and much safer due to being able to block and use items unsheathed, but sacrifice lots of damage in the process.

• While Sleeping dogs does have some things that are unpolished it is an amazing game that you should play. It a very good GTA clone with a heavy emphasis on story that you will want to complete. It is more serious than Saints Row but it does not suffer because of it. Just skip all DLC beyond Zodiac Tournament, Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake unless you really want a costume. 

• You can change. You can.

Man you gotta love the fact that the first thing you see and hear in SOTL is Hendrix’s star spangled banner while a ripped US banner is flying in the wind

truly subtle

Also, Dual Blades are great in Monster Hunter simply for how mobile they make you and how effective they are at applying elemental damage and status effects. The Sword and Shield is similar, and much safer due to being able to block and use items unsheathed, but sacrifice lots of damage in the process.

My biggest gripe with the dual blades is that they use stamina to get the most out of their DPS. That, and the fact that you can't block in combination with not having range. Insofar as poison status is concerned, I think the sword and shield has the most efficient weapon path for that (Gigginox, wouldn'tcha know). The next upgrade up from what I have has something insane, like 360 poison per each (very, very quick) attack. Which leaves paralysis (possibly) to dual blades, plus elemental damage. 

Then again, I think long swords tie or nearly equal dual blades for elemental damage. They tend to have really, really high elemental damage in relation to their speed. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^When I was talking about status effects, I was mostly talking about Slime. There is a reason why the Dioes Sclicers are considered gamebreaking even compared to other slime weapons. Though poison can be pretty effective depending on the monster (like the Deviljho, it also can be easily tricked into eating meat hint hint).

Also the stamina expenditure isn't as bad as you make it seem, especially with the recently added Archdemon mode. All you need is one good combo in Demon mode to fill up the bar and get the benefits of demon mode outside of demon mode. The bar decays pretty slowly so it's actually really easy to keep demon mode bonuses for an entire fight and not have to constantly go into stamina-drain mode.

• I really like Sleeping Dogs, but I feel that much of it is bogged down by what a sandbox game "needs" - for example, guns. Guns are boring when you have the Dim Mak, the punch of death.

Other than that, it's fairly interesting, and I consider the combat to be what a true kung-fu game needs; lots of different viable options for different opponents.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Also, King Mission is best mission.

When I was talking about status effects, I was mostly talking about Slime. There is a reason why the Dioes Sclicers are considered gamebreaking even compared to other slime weapons. Though poison can be pretty effective depending on the monster (like the Deviljho, it also can be easily tricked into eating meat hint hint).

Slime isn't as optimal on average as a properly-chosen elemental or affinity weapon (with Critical Eye), though. The commonality of slime weapons can be put down to how easy they are to get in relation to their power rather than their raw power itself, and really, anyone who uses dual swords to any considerable degree ought to have a set for each element. No monster has slime resistance or slime weakness, so the application of its explosive damage is equally random for every monster (only variable by the weapon you're using). 

If you really want to get down to it, the most efficient way to deal damage in the game is probably a purple-sharpness greatsword, with an armour set that has Focus on it. Level 3 greatsword charges get really forgiving damage modifiers (for the user) compared to other weapons, and the speed they can come out with Focus makes the damage potential pretty insane. 

• edited 2013-05-02 23:38:28
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Slime isn't as optimal on average as a properly-chosen elemental or affinity weapon (with Critical Eye), though. The commonality of slime weapons can be put down to how easy they are to get in relation to their power rather than their raw power itself, and really, anyone who uses dual swords to any considerable degree ought to have a set for each element. No monster has slime resistance or slime weakness, so the application of its explosive damage is equally random for every monster (only variable by the weapon you're using). 

If you really want to get down to it, the most efficient way to deal damage in the game is probably a purple-sharpness greatsword, with an armour set that has Focus on it. Level 3 greatsword charges get really forgiving damage modifiers (for the user) compared to other weapons, and the speed they can come out with Focus makes the damage potential pretty insane.

1. I wasn't talking about raw damage, I was talking about overall usefulness. And Slime is overall more useful not just because of how damaging Slime is, but because it's ability to stun monsters. And the faster the weapon the more applications of the stun.

2. While Focus is good, I think Critical Draw + Fast Sheathe is better for the Great Sword since it relies so much on the unsheathing attack.

I wasn't talking about raw damage, I was talking about overall usefulness. And Slime is overall more useful not just because of how damaging Slime is, but because it's ability to stun monsters. And the faster the weapon the more applications of the stun.

I can see that making a difference on the dual swords, because they're usually so terrible at staggers, but heavier weapons already stagger monsters pretty often. Plus, if you have traps, barrel bombs, flash bombs and whatnot, it's already quite doable to keep monsters where you want them without relying on the random slime application. 

While Focus is good, I think Critical Draw + Fast Sheathe is better for the Great Sword since it relies so much on the unsheathing attack.

Without Focus, you're spending about twice the time on that initial draw charge. And besides, that's comparing two skills against one (and insofar as greatsword is concerned, they're still not that useful compared to Focus because the greatsword already has one of the fastest sheathing animations in the game). If you want a combination of two skills, then Focus with Critical Draw would be the best, because a level 3 charge is 30% extra damage and then the Critical Draw is another 25%. The greatsword's combos shouldn't be underestimated, either; a lot of people spend entire fights charging and sheathing and missing a lot of opportunities to get extra combo hits on a monster after the charge, or are so insistent on getting a level 3 charge that they miss opportunities for damage wholesale. 

My ideal greatsword skill list is probably this:

• Focus (duh)

• Critical Eye (more universally applicable, especially when you exceed 50% affinity)

• Razor Sharp (to reduce the severity of sharpness reduction when blocking)

• HG Earplugs (so as not to miss charge opportunities while a monster is roaring)

This stuff also goes well with Handicraft and Punishing Draw, the latter being really good if you want Critical Eye and a draw attack buff that doesn't conflict with the previous skill. 

• You can change. You can.

So I played a good chunk of Spec Ops The Line.

Now, I don’t want to sound overtly gushy

but I do believe this is the best game in the history of games. Or things. Or game things