If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2013-02-27 00:16:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Without any spoilers, is this true

I honestly find the plot of DDD really dumb. Really, really dumb. Not just the time-travel, the random stuff, all of it. KH has never done a plot that had these type of things happen and I actually take it seriously but DDD has kinda ruined that for me. I'd say it could be saved, but the things have already happened and from now on I have to live with these plot points. I should've seen the complications that came with each game doing this eventually but it was still really surprising.

It doesn't exactly undo anything BBS did, but it doesn't advance anything either.

I think KH2 has a more FF inspired style to it, unlike KH and CoM which were very Disney inspired with a bit FF in their visual style.

All these floating around and thousand-hit combos are kinda taking some of the fun out of the games for me.

Flowmotion is not exactly the worst thing to happen to KH, but I feel like they should've gone with perfecting BBS's style.

I just want to fight alongside Donald and Goofy as Sora again. Is that so much to ask?

Judging by the last couple of games, seems so.

Also, Difficult Boss is still not 70 Health Bars+You'll die if you get hit twice!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Another fucking Slenderman game got Steam Greenlit >:/

• edited 2013-02-27 00:20:00
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Another fucking Slenderman game got Steam Greenlit >:/

"Another"?! When the fuck did The Eight Pages make it in?

• Have any of them (after the original) even been any good?

^^I don't know that it did, but one of the first batch of Greenlit games was a Slenderman game.

^To me, whether they're good in and of themselves is almost irrelevant. The first one looks pretty good for a game meant to be played in the short-term, but it would have been better (or at the very least not worse) with any other monster at all.

• edited 2013-02-27 01:16:15
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

None of the Slendermen games have been good.

Closest thing to a good Slenderman game is Lasting. Which doesn't star Slenderman, but might as well.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So I played the first few hours of Ni No Kuni today and I'm trying pretty hard to like it. I've never been a fan of the "it gets better later" thing, but I really, really want to enjoy a game with all the Ghibli trappings. 

There's a lack of synchronicity between the game's content and the actual game system. With all the Ghibli elements you'd expect and one hell of a lot of early handholding, you'd think a game system targeted towards children would be the go. But the game system itself is actually reasonably complex, necessitating a lot of tutorial content (although not as much as the game actually has). It also suffers from a lot of classic JRPG flaws, like railroading the player into walking back and forth pointlessly between locations to accomplish something that could have been executed by just letting it happen in location A to begin with. 

The combat is also pretty lacking. It operates in real time, including locational movement, but everything has to be selected through a menu. The silly thing about this is that there's plenty of buttons on the controller that go entirely unused, and the menu scroll controls are the D-pad -- right next to the left control stick, which is your movement. Perhaps the developers were all mutants with two left thumbs? 

Don't get me wrong. Everything you might like about Ghibli films is out in force, but it seems that the game design got left behind in the process. A shame, too, since there's lots of interesting ideas, like you and all your mons sharing HP and MP bars, and your mons operating on timers before you have to switch out. But only the main character, Oliver, has access to items and, so far, healing spells, so he's by far the most efficient choice when it comes to maintaining survivability. Being the main character, he also has no timer, so you can use him for entire battles. He's not the best choice absolutely all the time, but he's always a safe fallback and has good offensive abilities via his magic. 

But perhaps it gets better later? I hope so. Ni No Kuni is no doubt going to be a wonderful time for those who want to indulge in Ghibli-isms for a few dozen hours, but its game systems leave a lot to be desired. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Just finished Journey.

Wow.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-27 23:21:24

Ys Origin 3rd story update: the Flooded Prison!

Fighting Hugo on Nightmare is fun as hell, because he's a pompous ass with ungodly amounts of firepower and you're a Tasmanian Devil on crack that dashes around it like it's nothing while you beat his smug face in.  It's incredibly satisfying.  Also the way you have to dodge his fire lasers on Nightmare is just perfect: he turns too fast to dash away from now, so when he first conjures the lasers around you, you dash forward through him and then he's all "WHAAAA??" and has to turn all the way around when he tries to aim them.  And then you do it again.

Nygtilger is less fun, primarily because you have no ranged attack whatsoever and thus have no safe way to finish him.  I wound up having to play keep away through two trips up and down his column waiting for clean hits on the head in between the poo minefield, and eventually finished by Thunder Clawing him from the side as he left a cartwheel attack.  It was kind of a ghetto kill, but whatever.

Up next: Shion (who was enough of a pain on Normal with his ridiculous meth lasers) and Gelaldy (who's not only a tedious cockwallop, but maybe not possible at all on my system if Thunder Claw doesn't hit wide enough to catch his minions before my framerate tanks -- if any of them survive the first half second, I'm dead).

EDIT: Update again: Guilty Fire!

Shion is a pain in the ass.  Most of his attacks are trivial to dodge, but his three different bullet attacks take completely different positioning to do smoothly, so you have to correctly predict when he hits his phase transitions or you get cornered and wasted (his salvos hit you continuously and don't knockdown, so you die in about one second).  This is exacerbated by wonky scripting on his timing -- you barely have enough time to get in his face after each attack, and if you're even a split second too slow he just fires the next one in your face and kills you instantly instead of staggering while you hit him and then retreating (this is almost impossibly tight with his second bullet attack).  This is exacerbated further because if he starts moving before all six or so hits of your thunder claw break his shield, he just kind of rams you and you lose 1/3 of your HP.  Oh, and his laser has deceptive timing to dodge -- it's kind of like Mokou's "Honest Man's Death" in Touhou, where it lights up in full before it starts doing damage, and if you try to dash when it lights up instead of waiting, you lose 1/3 of your HP.  Not a fun fight.

Devil's Corridor!  Also a pain in the ass.  This character doesn't actually shut off the death music.  The gimmick is supposed to be that you maintain Boost through it to blunt the damage, but on Nightmare your Boost typically lasts about 5 seconds.  Except it's actually even worse, because here in particular on Nightmare it lasts one second and is no longer even worth going out of your way for the boost fruit.  So you're entirely at the mercy of how many herbs decide to drop.  Save and hope for the best.

Gelaldy is still a tedious pain in the ass, albeit not quite as much as with Yunica.  It's possible but unlikely to bring down a fist in two punches, and possible but unlikely to end a bite phase right away before he goes through the extra tedious pattern before he bites again in the second half.  Thunder Claw doesn't cause a big enough blast to catch all of his minions and usually leaves one alive, but at least you attack fast and widely enough to finish it yourself before it turns invincible and then explodes in your face.  About the only advantage here is that your fire attack can let you pop through an unlucky laser set unharmed.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    So that Yume Nikki link I posted earlier, it seems it's going to be a light novel, a webcomic and a CD.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

which no one in America is ever going to get.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

• But you never had any to begin with.
    Importing no longer exists?
  • edited 2013-02-28 12:14:26
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Well sure, but I seriously doubt anyone's going to bother translating the Yume Nikki light novel. Especially since the fandom's general reaction to this so far seems to mostly be HOW DARE THEY.

I'm more concerned as to why this is being called official when Kikiyama doesn't seem to actually have anything at all to do with it.

Of course it doesn't help that I'm getting all of this information secondhand, since I don't speak Japanese.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Apparently (s)he's going to make an appearance in April
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Well, I don't know if that's true. The site mentions something about Nico Nico Douga and the 27-28 of April though
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Interesting.

I'm sure the works themselves will be fine I'm just questioning the legitness of the entire ordeal.

Also I played Bioshock for the first time today, since my stepdad bought it for whatever reason. Decent game. Prefer the plasmids to the guns though. 

• Ys Origin third story Nightmare: Silent Sands!

The main hangup here is surviving the stretch leading up to the double jump item, primarily because the spinning dudes can waste you in four hits without knocking you down, and you have no ranged attack.

The miniboss is pretty unremarkable.  Because you don't fight one LOL.

Khonsclard is wonky this time.  With no ranged attack, you can't simultaneously hit multiple buds or wear down the main body while clipping buds.  The good news is that by now your damage output has caught up to and surpassed the other two characters, so you can tear them down one at a time relatively fast.  But you're still likely looking at repeating a phase or two.

• You can change. You can.

Also I played Bioshock for the first time today, since my stepdad bought it for whatever reason. Decent game. Prefer the plasmids to the guns though.

one lets you shoot bees at people

of course they're better than guns

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/#.UTEHpqhmiww.twitter

LORD BRITISH IS DOING A THING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Being killed by the playerbase using an exploit?

• I'm a damn twisted person
    An exploit that was essentially him forgetting to turn on his invincibility buff.
  • Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

So, I just heard about about AC IV: Black Flag.

I laughed at the sound of a blonde pirate assassin! 

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-02 03:23:29

Ys Origin, Third Story Nightmare: the Blighted Blood

Or

Thunder Claw Stun All Monster!  You Know??

Okay, so for as much as I've been bitching about the third character having low damage output and no ranged attack...well here's where it starts paying off.  Near the end of Silent Sands, your attack power starts scaling a far enough lead over enemy defenses that individual hits aren't wimpy anymore -- combined with crazy-fast attack speed, you're very suddenly putting out an absolutely absurd amount of damage.  That, and most of the stuff in Blighted Blood is weak to Thunder Claw, which pulls stuff in and staggers them at the same time.

So the Blighted Blood monsters that used to be terrifying with Hugo and Yunica are now laughably easy.  Even the room full of ridiculous red lobsters can be mostly cleared with a single Boosted pair of Thunder Claws, tanking all their damage and refilling your HP to boot.  The stuff in the last half of the area, those nasty rams, the crazy scythe beetles, most of it dies before even getting an attack off.

Pictimos, a tedious son of a bitch for Yunica and Hugo, dies hilariously fast now.  You basically jump right at him spamming your fire attack in his face, which simultaneously hits both his weak spots, blocks his attack, and lets you glide out of the way to charge your next one safely.  When he summons his healing minions, you boost and do the same thing on their heads instead, chewing up most of them in the first five seconds they exist.  You push him to his first resurrection insanely fast, he's lucky to get more than two resurrections off at all, and ends up squished on the floor in less than half the time as either of the other characters could have done the same.

Next...the finale and gauntlet of obnoxious bosses!

• I bought Bit Trip Presents... Runner2. I never played any of the other Bit Trip games, but this game is pretty great. Excellent soundtrack, too.

Can anyone figure out where this tune is from?  (smartass prevention: other than the source shown in the video's title)

-googles the title-

From Wikipedia:

Mario's Time Machine is an educational video game originally released for MS-DOS and then for the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo Entertainment System consoles.

I MEAN OTHER THAN THAT SOURCE

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

... So you want to know where it's from, other than where it's from?

• Maybe he means "what other song does this sound like?"

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

He is right though. It is definitely from something else. I can hear it.