If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• They're somethin' else.

I'm not THAT bothered by it. It's pretty cute, actually. I'm just surprised it still happens in that degree to games published professionally even today.

• edited 2012-11-18 21:15:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

My guess is that NIGORO, the La-Mulana devs, did the initial translation work and then got the translation fixed up by native English speakers.  They appear to know enough English to get some meaning across, even if unpolished, so I wouldn't put that past them.

They did formerly work with Nicalis (Nicalis was slated to publish La-Mulana for WiiWare) but that relationship broke up.  However, NIGORO was handling the localization directly themselves, unlike with Cave Story, so the translation work went with them, from what I recall hearing.

And this sounds like I'm not buying any WiiWare games.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Oh wow, I'm glad I didn't get a WiiU. I'm watching the Giant Bomb stream of it, and holy shit, that system is a piece of GARBAGE! I'm waiting till next year to get that. Hopefully they'll fix up the issues with the system until then.

• I'll hold off on one due to money issues, system issues and exclusives I want.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-11-19 15:43:20

Actually, screw that, there's launch issues everywhere.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I just don't see how the Wii U is different than the already existing Wii, aside from the controller, obviously, but that's a pretty small difference, in my opinion.

I don't know about sales figures or anything like that, so I can't say how the Wii "did" as a console, but I can tell you I certainly didn't care for it. So I see no reason to pick up its successor, either. 

I'm actually more planning on buying an Ouya, if those are still being worked on (I have not checked in a few months), and even then, I'm going to wait a month or two on that..

In other news, I got my first Draconian character to level 7 in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

He turned out to be Green.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Wasn't the Ouya a scam, or not coming for a long long time?

That was the popular rumor, but I don't think that was ever any more than that.

But again I haven't checked up on it in like, three months. So I could be slowpoking right now and not even know.

• edited 2012-11-19 00:05:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Wasn't the Ouya a scam, or not coming for a long long time?

It was originally announced as being released in 2013, and there isn't any evidence that it's a scam beyond "they haven't released it months before they intended to release it," so...no?

That said, it didn't seem like an especially good system, its only real advantage over others being price point.

As for the Wii U...it does seem to have a few flaws, but if there are any that have non-negligable odds of applying to me, I haven't heard about them.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    Lazuli, the Wii U is completely different from the Wii in terms of power, graphics, and capabilities.

I'm enjoying mine immensly.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't know about sales figures or anything like that, so I can't say how the Wii "did" as a console, but I can tell you I certainly didn't care for it. So I see no reason to pick up its successor, either. 

Basically, it outsold both of its competitors by a very large margin (especially important given that Nintendo was making a profit per unit sold while the other two were taking losses and hoping to make it up with game sales), but game sales trickled off over time because mainstream developers were (possibly justifiably) concerned that their fans would burn down their offices if they released anything on it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The Wii was great for some games. Skyward Sword wouldn't have been the same without the Wii, for example.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yes. It would have had a control scheme that didn't make me want to use the Wiimote nunchuck as a garrote on the designers necks.

Yeah.

But almost every good Wii exclusive was first-party.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes. It would have had a control scheme that didn't make me want to use the Wiimote nunchuck as a garrote on the designers necks.

The combat also would have probably not been near as exciting.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-19 00:39:49

Okay, really?  I'm somehow making good pace for the final week of Recettear, and then two days before the end, the price of "metal objects", "accessories", and "armor" tanks.

That's almost everything you can sell.

WHAT THE FUCK, CAPITALISM.

• Finally beat Canary Mary. Found out consistent button presses works better than outright mashing until the very end. And no, I'm not going for the Cheato Page yet.

It's not food! You can still make some money!

^The game has weekly payments you have to make or lose.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-19 00:46:35

I just sold out of food during a sweets boom, and the shops are still bought out for the good ones that sell for more than, like, 1500 pix.  I have to average about 100k a day counting new stock.

I just reloaded back to a couple days prior.

The game has weekly payments you have to make or lose.

I know. I have played the game.

You can still make money on food. And even if he failed, he'd keep all his items and stuff and be sent back to the first week.

• I'm a damn twisted person

The combat also would have probably not been near as exciting.

Using a standard Zelda control scheme probably would have made the combat more exciting. Less arm flailing and more just playing the damn game.

• That's the thing though...if it just looped the one week on failure, whatever, but I really REALLY don't want to have to go through the whole goddamn month again just because I got screwed in the last two days.

Less arm flailing and more just playing the damn game.

If you were flailing your arm, I think I know why you found the controls annoying.

• edited 2012-11-19 00:54:45
    I'm a damn twisted person

Look man, I played the game up until the end of the first dungeon. It was a pain in the ass the whole time, and no amount of praise for it is going to convince me it is worth putting up with that input nightmare again. That and the fact that Fi won't shut up and there is no option to speed up text scroll speed.

• edited 2012-11-19 00:55:40
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, yeah, if you don't want to play it, that's entirely fair. I do, however, also have an opinion of it, which I felt like stating.

• edited 2012-11-19 00:59:49
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Look man, I played the game up until the end of the first dungeon. It was a pain in the ass the whole time, and no amount of praise for it is going to convince me it is worth putting up with that input nightmare again.

Well... I've played it right through the second dungeon, and the control scheme was simple to use.

It was just a simple four-directional attack scheme, and it made the combat so much better.

Not to mention that swinging the controller around supported the whole "The hero is you!" the game had going for it.

So I guess I don't agree with your assessment, and I feel the game would have been weaker on any other system.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I have to throw my lot in with Alk here. Skyward Sword didn't really use the directional attack system very well, to my mind. A lot of it had to do with how the enemy AI was created as a result of the new system; often, enemies would walk up to you and sort of invite you to take advantage of the opening(s) in their guard rather than actively fight you. Plus, it took me almost until the end of the game to understand that the combat wasn't based on eight individual sword swings, but four axis, so I spent a lot of the game trying to strike from the opposite direction an enemy's weapon was held in and getting parried because the system wasn't directional but axis-based. 

There was also the issue of mobility. Previous 3D Zelda titles, all the way back to Ocarina of Time, were fantastic in terms of ensuring that battles moved around. But because Skyward Sword put so much emphasis on the directional attack thing, there was less emphasis on movement, compounded by the fact that your attacks locked you into a forward step. 

Here's a few things I think they could have done:

• Emphasise that the system is axis-based, or actually make it directional. 

• Have footwork disconnected from attacks -- that is, allow the player to move about unhindered as they attack, swerve and circle. 

• Include some system of counters that allows enemies to behave aggressively, but also allows the player to intercept enemy aggression with their own. Something like "high > low, low > medium, medium > high" would be a simple system of simultaneous attack counters and even relatively accurate to real life. But allow enemies to counter, too, so if you choose the wrong attack type while risking simultaneous attacks, you feel the burn. Something like a high attack meeting another high attack could allow each animation to play out naturally with no damage to either combatant, but also with a sound effect and a sword spark to denote impact. It would give the combat a very traditional, Errol Flynn kind of energy. 

If the developers did these things, we'd have ended up with a much more mobile kind of combat, like the other 3D Zelda games, but also one that takes advantage of directional sword swings without falling into Skyward Sword's trap of having enemies act very silly by charging up to you, stopping, and entering a defensive posture. 

But because Skyward Sword put so much emphasis on the directional attack thing, there was less emphasis on movement, compounded by the fact that your attacks locked you into a forward step. 

Yes.

But, is this a bad thing? I don't really think so.

A lot of it had to do with how the enemy AI was created as a result of the new system; often, enemies would walk up to you and sort of invite you to take advantage of the opening(s) in their guard rather than actively fight you.

I can only really remember playing Ocarina of Time here.

I definitely remember the same thing there, though. Especially with the Lizalfos/Stalfos. And the stupid werewolf things.

Plus, it took me almost until the end of the game to understand that the combat wasn't based on eight individual sword swings, but four axis, so I spent a lot of the game trying to strike from the opposite direction an enemy's weapon was held in and getting parried because the system wasn't directional but axis-based. 

That's something I'll give you.

They probably could have done away with having shields breaking entirely, in favour of having more aggressive enemies and such. And they could have stood to have a better tutorial on the swords, rather than a log-chopping game where you just chopped along the directional swings, which made it unclear as to whether it was four directions or eight attacks.

Apart from that, though, I feel that the motion controls in the game supported it much better than a regular controller would have.