If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-11-15 01:20:30
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think he more or less nailed what's been bothering me about the series. Fundamentally, it's become less and less about actually assassinating targets and more about managing various bits and bobs. 

Yes.

Even AC2 and Brotherhood, the best games in the series, were shifting toward it.

Then the series finally disemboweled itself in Revelations, when one of the first things you do is a long cart-racing minigame where the goal is something other than what the game tells you it is.

And once you finish that, you're given your main quest: collect five macguffins. And while you're at it, you also have to spend the bulk of the game doing a sidequest your character has no reason for getting involved in. Which very occasionally even features bits of combat or assassinations.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

T-minus five days until The Walking Dead episode 5.

This game is going to ruin me, I know it.  I'm forecasting Mass Effect 3 levels of tears.

• I'm a damn twisted person

So damning confession time - Angry Birds: Star Wars is actually pretty fun. I know I know, it's the ultimate pandering game, but it was only a dollar. But yeah, adding blaster fire to the game added a new challenge of having to pay attention to your timing. And it has a nice mix of downward gravity and space puzzles. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

What Alkthash said.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

YES

I WON A GAME OF MINESWEEPER WITHOUT USING FLAGS

Seriously, that was way harder than I thought it would be.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-15 20:40:13

Playing Tomb Raider Legend.  I can definitely tell Anniversary was where they actually fell into the PS2 era groove and this was the unpolished first try.  Shimmying controls are inconsistent and buggy, the puzzles and platforming take way too much of a backseat to really bland combat, the motorcycle and "action segment" controls are utter crap, and your peanut gallery is annoying.

On the other hand, I do much prefer the lock-on being pseudo-aimed to whatever's near the middle of your screen.  It wasn't a huge deal for most of Anniversary, but the stuff near the end of the Lost Island got pretty ridiculous with you always locking onto the switch instead of the flying dudes bombing you off the platform and the switch-targets button not always doing anything.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How is Minesweeper without flags any harder than Minesweeper with flags?

Because you have to remember where the mines are instead of having them marked.

It doesn't sound harder, but it is.

Especially when you only play minesweeper while watching a video or something.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh wow, it is more difficult.

Mostly because I'm used to just clicking and clicking away.

It's theoretically the same but it's keeping up one's concentration that's difficult.

Yeah.

It's some bizarre new form of boredom-induced difficulty I've never seen before.

• Yeah, I'm too used to reflexively clearing the board with L+R click to try that.

• edited 2012-11-16 03:34:27
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I fucking love DungeonCrawl Stone Soup.

It's a roguelike, and thus really fucking hard and near impossible to beat, but it lets you make the most awesome characters.

I am playing a Mummy, said Mummy is also a wizard, who can summon imps, clouds of flame and poison, and shoot magic missiles. He also has an enchanted dagger should he need to get into close combat, he is wearing a robe (obviously), a matching cloak, and a knight's helmet. Where'd the knight's helmet come from? He found it, fuck you. It's awesome.

• But you never had any to begin with.

It's a roguelike, and thus really fucking hard and near impossible to beat

I am playing a Mummy

I think I found your problem.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I've tried more or less every race.

Except Felids. I'm not that dumb.

I'm just bad at roguelikes and the planning required to do well at them. 

Also Mummy Wizards are  pretty well-regarded combination, apparently. The not having to eat anything helps a lot.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Undead in general are very hard to play, especially for a newish player.

• edited 2012-11-16 04:02:22
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

*shrug*

He's tied for the highest level I've yet gotten to. I am content with that much.

And now that he's just advanced a level via my gang of imps killing Eustachio, he is now the highest level character I've gotten.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

And now he's dead.

May he yet again rest in peace.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-17 12:14:00

Tomb Raider: Legend, 100%.

The bosses in this game were mostly obnoxious or phoned-in with little in between, particularly as dodging anything was really sketchy.  Last one was a total pain because it didn't seem to actually have a pattern, so you basically hid behind a pillar while shooting green death through it.  Ditto for Takamoto, who didn't die in the space of your assault rifle capacity, and you had to walk too close to dodge his attacks to damage him with pistols.

Also the main villain is really grating.  I get that she has abandonment / demonic possession issues, but the whole emo angle bugs me.

"WHERE'S MY MOTHER?!"

"You don't understand!  You'll never understand!"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT ACTUALLY SAYING ANYTHING!"

"It's too magic for you!  And you don't understand!"

"BITCH, I JUST SLAUGHTERED AN ARMY AND AN EXTRADIMENSIONAL HELLSPAWN WITH DOOM LASERS FROM EXCALIBUR AND WITNESSED TIME TRAVEL.  I THINK I'LL BE FINE."

• They're somethin' else.

guys is the la mulana wii translation supposed to be that bad?

• I'm seriously looking into getting Dark Souls on Steam. For the ones who've played it, what should I expect? I know I need a controller for it, and a fan patch while I'm at it.

And please, keep your explanation concise and to the point.

• It's fun.

Co-op makes the game too easy.

Don't start with the Master Key, or you might miss out on some content.

Never ever put any points into Resistance.

> I know I need a controller for it, and a fan patch while I'm at it.

These needs are both vastly exaggerated, though both do improve it.

As for general advice...I wrote a blogpost on the subject, but can't dig it out on my phone. The link to the blog is my user title; it should be pretty easy to find from there.
  • League of Legends: I've noticed that I'm never considered an Honorable Opponent when playing with Teemo on Dominion. Oh well, such is the price to pay for Maximum Trolling.

• edited 2012-11-17 17:15:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Schitzo: I don't know; how is it bad?

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Huh. Thought the PC translation was just fine, with a few problems.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So I did a thought experiment just now. The challenge was to come up with a way to combine the traditional JRPG style of combat inputs with historical swordsmanship and come up with something at least moderately accurate. 

My conclusion was a simultaneous turn system where you observed the condition, stance, weapon and whatnot of the enemy and set the parameters of your next action and then clicked "Go", after which both combat participants would act at the same time. The general idea is that you have a range of variables such as Attack, Defense, Evasion and so on and so forth, and that all of these variables are active during the simultaneous turn, which your choice of stance, footwork and technique showing you the alterations to these values. So the general idea would be to choose parameters for your turn that allows you to mix up defense and evasion in such a way that defends you, but also allows your attack to overcome the enemy's defensive measures. 

Would you play something like this, y/n/what the fuck are you talking about Alex. 

So...Riddle of Steel.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Actually, no, because it's attempt to fix the major flaw of Riddle of Steel's combat system from a perspective of combat pacing -- the fact that there are turns in the first place. In this system, turns are truly simultaneous, so you never entirely know your adversary's action until you click "Go" and the turn resolves. 

Think of the layout having a bunch of headings with lists underneath them of your options. Starting guard, ending guard, technique, footwork, and perhaps a "special" heading. You'd define all those parameters before initiating the simultaneous turn with limited (but still potentially useful) information on what choices your adversary is making. 

Oh, right.

So...what Riddle of Steel was going for, then.