If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-08-31 02:22:27
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I haven't played DLC Quest, but I think would be funnier if they actually charged you for DLC.  Say, you had a base game for 99 cents, where you get no new weapons or armor and you basically have to go through the entire game with a rusty dagger or something.  And then you could buy the other items for like 5 or 10 cents apiece.

• edited 2012-08-31 05:42:03
    smote

I actually kinda like the idea of DLC Quest mocking DLC.

A whole game making fun of soulbonders?

• But you never had any to begin with.

The only Greenlight game I've actively downvoted is NEStalgia, on the grounds that the dev is in no way fit to run an online community, and giving him extra attention is a terrible idea. He's also deleting negative comments on the page.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Um...isn't that game already free?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

So the first big Final Fantasy anniversary announcement is a set of all the main series games in one box! All for 450-500 dollars!

And no, not ports to the PS3, PS1 games, PS2 games and the one PS3 game.

I'm no Final Fantasy expert, but wouldn't it cost under 200 dollars or so to get those separately, depending on how thorough you were about bargain-hunting?

Um...isn't that game already free?

It got an updated rerelease,

Ah, I see.

How updated is updated?

• It is in the same situation as cave story. Indie game released for free, gets ported to WiiWare with some upgrades then the WiiWare version gets ported back to the PC which is not freeware. The changes made to La-Mulana for the updated version are asically the grahpics are updated, some names have been changed and the difficulty has been adjusted. Right now you can get it through playism, but I would like to see it on steam. 

It is in the same situation as cave story.

See, if Cave Story's updated version were on Greenlight and not already on Steam, I'd be downvoting it. The only difference is the graphics, which I felt had actually been made worse.

The changes made to La-Mulana for the updated version are asically the grahpics are updated, some names have been changed and the difficulty has been adjusted.

Right, so not much reason to buy it rather than getting the free version. Downvoting.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I'm no Final Fantasy expert, but wouldn't it cost under 200 dollars or so to get those separately, depending on how thorough you were about bargain-hunting?

I'd say around 250, but pretty much. You'd think they'd at least have the decency to port it all to current gen though...

Porting all of that to current gen would probably cost in excess of ten billion dollars.
  • Well, I tried the free version of la-mulana but never really got into it, mainly because of the invisible text bug. Some of the changes to the remake does make it seem more accessible, more control in the air, more hints to obscure puzzles, and game pad support. 

• edited 2012-08-31 12:29:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Right, so not much reason to buy it rather than getting the free version. Downvoting.

OH FUCK YOU NO

I JUST UPVOTED THE THING AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR YOU DOWNVOTING IT

It's one of the largest, most complex, and most detailed indie games.  Maybe even among all games.

Remember, this is the game where each of the nine bosses has a distinct theme (two for the last boss).  You have nineteen highly-interconnected areas filled of puzzles, traps, and the mysteries of La-Mulana, making this one immense game.

And the music alone is worth it.

The changes are as follows:

* the gameplay has been changed all-around.  I think that most puzzles now have new solutions.  The number of moon logic puzzles has been reduced, according to what I've heard, and things generally make more sense.

* all the boss battles are now different.  Amphisbaena is actually difficult now, you fight Bahamut in 3D, and more.

* the graphics are now a 32-bit style, rather than the 8-bit style of the original.

* the music is now an orchestrated version by default.  (I'm not sure whether you can choose the chiptune version; I know they changed a little bit of the Spring of the Sky theme for copyright reasons.)

* the game no longer has references to the MSX and MSX games, due to copyright issues.  Instead, it references NIGORO's own games.

Oh, okay, that's actually a substantial amount of change such that it would make sense for someone to buy it. The Cave Story comparison made me assume otherwise. Upvoting.
    That said, I don't think downvoting has much of an effect since the system is based on total number of upvotes.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't think the Cave Story comparison is valid either.

Also, the localization of La-Mulana was actually handled in-house by NIGORO.

They created a full translation/localization/new version ready for release a while ago.  It's just that it got delayed by Nicalis.  Then they switched to Playism as their distributor and Playism put it up on their own website and they're finally getting the WiiWare release too (which was canceled when they were working with Nicalis).

Also just upvoted Unepic; someone on the Desura thread on TVT has been pimping that game.

I think I downvoted that one. Can't remember exactly why since I'm not at my computer, but I think it was something about the tone of the pitch.
  • edited 2012-08-31 12:51:24
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Porting all of that to current gen would probably cost in excess of ten billion dollars.

Did it cost that much to do the first FF Anthology on the PS1? I'm not saying even update the graphics, just putting the things on a blu-ray and make it possible to play it on a PS3?

Oh, right, I forget that late model PS3s can't play PS2 games so I assumed you meant a more total conversion sort of deal. Yeah, they probably should do that.

That said, I don't think downvoting has much of an effect since the system is based on total number of upvotes.

Downvoting definitely does something. Devs can see the percentage of downvotes.

It adds a thing to a counter, but it won't prevent a project from getting to the pending stage, and once it gets to that point it's Valve's call.
  • edited 2012-08-31 12:56:12
    But you never had any to begin with.

Also, there have been people mentioning that percentages have gone down to 0% from 1%, etc.

Huh.

It's possible that Valve is tinkering withthe level needed. They said they were going to.

Of the stuff I've upvoted, the Giana Sisters thing seems closest to anything, it's at 4% now.

Oh, also, remade La-Mulana might have a slightly different story.  At the very least, it has a new non-player character.

Played through the first episode of The Walking Dead. The statistics at the end bugged out, which is kinda annoying, but meh.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Also, the localization of La-Mulana was actually handled in-house by NIGORO.

Do you mean the enhanced version? Because I'm pretty sure that the original translation was made by Aeon Genesis.

Anyway, I saw Recettear DRM-free on Gamer's Gate. Aside from me never actually visiting GG before, why didn't I know about this? Since I didn't have enough money on my Paypal account, I didn't buy it and downloaded the demo instead. I did, however, get EGS previous game Chantelise. Seems quite nice, but it's really designed with gamepad in mind. Camera control on keyboard is rather awkward since you can only center it behind Elise, while you can turn it with shoulder buttons and right stick on a pad.

Playing The Walking Dead episode 3. Best line ever: "Duck thinks you are incredibly awesome."