If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

My copy of Tales of Graces f arrived a day before the street release date, so that's nice/unexpected.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-08-30 13:37:18

A new Metal Gear Solid has been revealed after much speculation. It'll be an open-world game, apparently.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

So playing Spec Ops: The Line. I'm currently at chapter eight, where something really... interesting happens. Basically, it begins to really make me feel like a bastard. My thoughts were rather dominated by a word beginning with "F".

I kind of wish that I played the game, not knowing what it's actually about. That sure would have made the impact even worse.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah. The problem with recommending the game to people is that you can't just say "it's a CoD clone and you should play it because...um...just do," but everything you say about it lessens the impact somewhat.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I should try to push Spec Ops onto my hardcore Counter-Strike playing friend.

Provided he hasn't heard of it already.

He'd probably just play the crappy multiplayer.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, some people might be entertained by the idea that it's a CoD-like game and then get to experience the other aspects unexpectedly.

• I'm a damn twisted person

There's no way to avoid using the white phosphorus and make it through the section is there? Because goddamnit, it was fucking white phosphorus.

• But you never had any to begin with.

No.

• edited 2012-08-30 15:28:14
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^I tried, and you will get shot to pieces instantly the second you peek out of cover.

• edited 2012-08-30 15:35:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You can, but not if you want to keep playing the game.
    So, MGS is getting a movie...

I know people always list it as a series that would translate well to film, but I'm not really convinced about that.
  • You can change. You can.

Link?

At any rate, I think that MGS is pretty much a marriage of movies and games. I wouldn't really catalogue it as one or the other.

but if I had to, I'd go with game because that's what it tries to be more. (Not to say it fails but simply that it aims at both)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119368-Solid-Snake-Gets-a-Movie

Yeah, the series as-is is both, but the stories are so built up around game concepts that it would just be kind of weird to tell them in another medium. Especially given that 2 is entirely about the overlap between player and character.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.

Well, I'm pretty much stuck in SOTL. I'm at chapter "Adams", right after the helicopter sequence (which didn't only seem familiar to me, interestingly enough) and have to defend Adams from enemy soldiers. But that's difficult and frustrating, there are so many, that it feels endless. That I have to do it all by myself makes it worse. And when I manage to survive this mostly (which is unlikely enough), I have to deal with an armored enemy, who survives two grenades and still shrugs off lots of bullets afterwards. Seriously, it feels like it's impossible.

Well, it's already late, so at least it makes a good point to take a break...

• edited 2012-08-30 18:13:25
    Yeah, that part is evil. Took me twenty or thirty tries.

Yeah, the series as-is is both, but the stories are so built up around game concepts that it would just be kind of weird to tell them in another medium. Especially given that 2 is entirely about the overlap between player and character.

I figure that if anything, they'd go for MGS1, really. It's basically Die Hard but with gigantic robots and ninja cyborgs. That pretty much sells itself.

Yeah, I figured they'd start there, but if there's demand for a sequel, they're in trouble.
  • They could just skip straight to MGS3.  Or just write an original story with MGS characters, setting, concepts, etc.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-08-30 18:47:00

At the very least, Kojima seems like he'll have some involvement in it, and the guy loves his movies. He's also aware of the fact that video game-to-movie adaptations have a dodgy track record at best.

Yeah, I figured they'd start there, but if there's demand for a sequel, they're in trouble.

Well, they can explore the relationship between audience and character, like Drive did. Except better and less subtle because MGS.

True. And the whole "Raiden sucks when he's trying to be a lame copy of Snake" angle would still work.

I don't think the movie(s) will be bad; I just think something will be lost in the transition.

If it tries to be an MGS2 movie, then yes. If it tries to be an MGS2 adaptation, however, I see some genuine potential.

Yeah.

Getting back to my original point, I don't think MGS can't be a good film series. I just think it's a less direct transition than some seem to see it as.

And I concur.

let us sign on that and call it a day of healthy intelligent debate, me lad

-adjusts monocle-

So, Steam Greenlight is started.

So...much...shit...

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I've sifted through about a dozen pages and have found nothing even remotely good.

• edited 2012-08-30 20:50:23

I've read the pitches for 78 games. I've upvoted 16. Those are games I don't object to, i.e. I probably won't headdesk if they get made. There are maybe three or four that I'd actually be willing to try playing.

I may get a blogpost out of this experience.

• I've only upvoted a few, more due to a lack of a real computer, but most look like shit.

Okay, I've now looked at over 200, and I don't think I've upvoted more than 25 or so.

And again, I'm upvoting anything that might not be crap.