If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Does anyone know of a MAL equivalent for comics? It’s getting annoying to just sort all these files out and I keep forgetting about finishing this or that because I have the attention span of a chimpazee after drinking 99 cups of coffee.

• That's terrible news about Morrison.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Not really. He's still doing comics work. He's just done with superheroes for now.

So yeah I know this shouldn't have irked me but while driving yesterday some radio dj was bitching about the new superman movie trailer and how there were apparently too many superhero movies.

But aside from a few in the summer, not really a big spike I guess. Other genres still outnumber them and it just seems like a kind of nonsensical complaint.

So right reading through some of the old Claremont run on X-men. Particularly the scene where Rogue wants to join to have Xavier help her, and all the X-men are threatening to quit if she joins... and Xavier just starts ripping them a new one. Like how being a hero means they can't pick and choose who to help, but have to help anybody who needs it. Or that a persons past misdeeds shouldn't keep you from giving them a chance if they seem sincere and want to change, pointing out how they are all friends with Wolverine.

It's like, Professor Xavier can be such a paternalistic douchebag at times, but when starts rocking his idealism-fu he's great.

And dang it Malk, you were right, Fraction witing Thor is pretty metal. I just started the whole Mares arc but it's all good stuff. 

oh man, Wolverine and the X-Men was a gutpunch. A gutpunch filled with cliches but a gutpunch nonetheless.

The gut punch for me this week was in Venom, and it wasn't even the focus. Poor Eddie, nobody deserves to get dragged into a flaming shrieking pile of evil space slime. And Batman Inc, damnit, why did you have to pretend like the New 52 weird condensation of Bat Continuity is a thing that should be paid attention too? On the other hand, Matches Malone and the Bat-Cow, so I guess it evens out. Amazing Spider-man did a better job at showing a villain being crazy than all the cannibalistic shouty douchebags from the 90s ever did. Just have Lizard!Connors routinely cut off his own arms to keep the charade going. 

On a lighter note, seeing Egon and a Agent Mulder knockoff yelling about if the spooky things were ghosts or aliens was great in Ghostbusters.

Good haul this week. More on it later.

• Lately I've been reading through Warren Ellis' work on Avatar Press, most notably Strange Kisses, Strange Killings, and Gravel, all featuring occult detective, combat magician, and huge bastard William Gravel.

It's pretty fun, with magicians keeping Cthuloid monstrosities in their basements because they get high off the thing's milk, zombie-making viruses, and magical class warfare.

It is also - like most Avatar Press publications - exceedingly gorey and contains explicit sexual content. So that beans you, Nova.
    Man I just realized, you could totally troll the otherkinproblems tumblr by submitting plot points from whenever the Lizard has showed up in Spider-man.

Problem #7537 - When you keep seeing the face of the child you murdered and ate while you were in lizard form and start feeling guilty. Stupid mammal brains.

I am a horrible person.

you're the best kind of horrible person, though.

So I finished Planet Hulk. Allow me to say that the last few pages were some of the most fist-pumpingly awesome pages I've seen in a while.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Justice League Dark #11: Half plot twists, half action, all good.

So, I'm about to tackle World War Hulk and I'm wondering: Which tie-ins are good? Which tie-ins are bad?

The Ghost Rider tie in was fun enough if a bit big on selling the Hulk. Otherwise they were pretty forgettable, just like the whole event in general really. 

Flipped through this comic called Freaks in the Heartland the other day. Fairly generic plot, but it nailed the mood and the art was great. At the end the artist talked about how one of the main characters, Will - a giant deformed child kept changing in appearance and size throughout the book because he really never nailed the look down. Normally I would rant about that, but in this case I think it worked wonderfully in this case. Will's shifting size and deformities helped make him seem more monstrous and alien than having his character design be static. 

• edited 2012-07-26 03:49:58
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

WWH is pretty insubstantial and exists more for fun set ups for fun fights. Just read the tie-ins with people you like really.

WWH had problems but the action points were paws-itively delightful.

• Did anything ever come of the whole "This new Defenders team was specifically formed to chase the Black Hulk" thing? It seems like they totally dropped it after issue 2?

Probably because the creative staff thought it would be more fun to throw them against crazy shit than to chase a monster Hulk thing.
  • edited 2012-07-26 09:24:09

Touche, Defenders is one of my favourite Marvel books of the now. (Amazing Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Deadpool, Mighty Thor and Journey into Mystery are the others)

WWH is pretty insubstantial and exists more for fun set ups for fun fights.

And seeing that pesky Richards get what he deserves.

You know you enjoyed it Doctor Malk.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Hulk wasting Blackbolt was pretty boss too.

So I just watched the Roxy Rocket episode from the BTAS. It was just fun and a refreshing change of pace to see a villain who wasn't malicious or out for money or delusional. She was just a reckless thrill junkie who wanted to feel excited. And her dialog and voice actress brought a certain charm to the character.

Really it was the perfect way to blindside the audience for Over the Edge and seeing Barbara's greatest fears play out. 

Hulk wasting Blackbolt was pretty boss too.

Hell yeah. 

Overall, it started pretty strongly and it's by far the best event Marvel has done. But that's more because Civil War, Secret Invasion, et al are so bullshit-tastic it's not even funny.

Shame about the fact that once the high of seeing the Hulk performing some RIGHTEOUS SMASHING, the event just...drags on. 

Damnit, it looks like Buddy has joined the Assassins now. 

"Animal's Creed?" I would definitely play that game.

• How badly must I read Animal Man if I want to see more people like that horn-face guy.

You definitely need to, though there's also gore, gore and more gore.

I mean, you should be reading Animal Man anyway because it's just really good, but the awesome crazy art is as good a reason to as any.

Loving the hell out of Secret Warriors. Between Dugan and Fury broing it up and exchanges like this:

"What are you gonna feel when you put a bullet in the head of those men?"

"Recoil"

How can you not?

• Secret Warriors is utterly fantastic, man. Hickman throws in all kinds of cool shit.

That also said, Secret Avengers is so much fun in its superheroic James Bonb super-spy nonsense, and I especially love the done-it-in-one issues.

• edited 2012-07-30 04:22:53
    I'm a damn twisted person

I haven’t done a weekly comics recap in a while. Sorry about that. I don’t have all last weeks issues with me so lemme talk about two arcs; Batman the Gates of Gotham and the latest arc in The Mighty Thor ( issues 13-17).

Batman Gates of Gotham was a fun little mini about the Batfamily trying to stop a steampunk terrorist from blowing up buildings of historic importance. The art and design for the new villain were great and the old time filter effects for 1800s Gotham were a nice touch. Speaking of flashbacks, this is a very Scott Snyder story, meaning it is all about history and secrets. What I think it also did surprisingly well is being a Batman Inc story, showing Batman’s allies working together, even without him personally, to fight crime. And now I miss Tim and Cass. Bluh.

Right Thor talk time. Confession, I was pretty excited when this new Thor volume started up. After talking a lot the old volume, we started off with a bang with Thor and the rest of Asgard fighting Galactus. Great stuff. But then Fear Itself and some new dork named Tanarus taking over the title made me say screw it and drop the book. But Malk’s repeated insinstances that the book was really good made me check it out again. And it is a fun comic. I just think that this latest arc was a lot of great ideas (the mares, monsters sealed away that cause nightmares and speak through dreams invading the nine realms after Thor sets them loose like a bonehead and the Enchantress scheming and the power of Metal fighting nightmares), but it was undermined by it’s a plot and b plot set up, with both plots stealing time and focus from the other and neither really  integrating until the very end.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I think that's pretty fair. The issue with Fraction's Thor I think is spacing. Some stuff gets too little time (Black Metal Thor) some gets too much (Tarnarus being unlikable)

"Hail Satan!"

"He seems a bit single minded doesn't he?"

"Nah, he's like really cool when he isn't, ya know, trying to kill us all!"