If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Madass Alex wields swords. Emiya Shirou is swords. There is a subtle distinction.

• Also, Alex doesn't have as fucked up views about women.

Emiya Shirou is not a sexist main character, at least, relative to japanese culture, he uses sexist justifications in one of three routes because he wants to rationalize his desire to protect Saber.

• edited 2012-07-04 18:38:30
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Is Batman always this extremely perfect in the comics now (Was watching a mini-marathon of The Brave And The Bold episodes) because I remember Batman TAS being much less BATMAN IS AWESOME AWESOME NO ONE CAN REPLACE HIM HEY GUEST CHARACTER YOU'RE ONLY HERE TO SUPPORT BATMAN DEAL WITH IT.

• edited 2012-07-04 18:42:43
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hey, Gelzo. How was Japan?

I actually kinda want one of those sword ice trays.

• I just took that as another example of Shirou being stupid.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Yeah me too, as it never appears again in any of the other routes.

• Japan is nice. I've been having a number of interesting discussions with the Europeans in my dorm. I don't think I'm improving my Japanese as much as I thought I would, but I feel as though the other things I'm learning from the experience are just about as important.

To be honest, I'm starting to miss America. There's an absence of certain simple comforts that you start to notice more after a while. Not that I'm in a hurry to go back yet, though.

• Were there some strange culture clashes sometimes? Japan being what it is, it's probably a given.

• edited 2012-07-04 20:56:12
    smote

Hey Gelzo. I was wondering where you were, but I just figured you were busy with Japan.

Is Batman always this extremely perfect in the comics now (Was watching a mini-marathon of The Brave And The Bold episodes) because I remember Batman TAS being much less BATMAN IS AWESOME AWESOME NO ONE CAN REPLACE HIM HEY GUEST CHARACTER YOU'RE ONLY HERE TO SUPPORT BATMAN DEAL WITH IT.

The Justice League cartoon goes that way sometimes too, and occasionally the comics do, but Batman The Brave and the Bold is really extreme about it, yeah.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Definitely not. In the current arc, Batman has pretty much been getting the crap beat out of him for large portions of it.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Well in comics if anything Batman gets his ass kicked a lot. And then still pulls off impossible stuff like beating a regenerating Frankenstein ninja or swimming out of a helicopter crash. Or shooting the god of evil in the face.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Brave and The Bold is supposed to be campy and silly and comic-action so of course Batman is a much more extreme and unambiguous hero. It's a love letter to the crazier Batman stories. If you want a great classic Batman story of Batman struggling with his limitations, try Neal Adams' 'Venom' or the more recent Court of Owls.

Also.

• Brave and the Bold is the best.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I can't just be lazy.

No, you just can't say lazy.

• Currently feeling conflicted between the things I believe in and the things I feel. Sux mang.

My favorite batman cartoon is Batman Beyond.

• Meknows a few Murkans, so had 4th of July BBQ in a monastery in a nearby village. Played some volleyball, which I'm pretty shit at.

• Batman Beyond was great.

Batman Beyond is great since it's pretty much 'what if Batman was also Spider-man?'

• edited 2012-07-05 01:37:06
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

no, it's "what if Batman was also Spider-Man in the future?"

• Strange culture clashes? Mmm...

Well, generally when Japanese people are in charge and think or say that you "have to" act a certain way, they'll say that it makes your group look bad if you don't do it. Which admittedly is a concern, but when they bring that up as a reason not to do drugs when there are absurdly long sentences here for something as small as marijuana possession,  and they don't even bother to mention that as a reason not to do it...

Also, our dorm's Japanese neighbors have called the police on our dorm for the noise from parties that haven't even been especially loud or late at night. One time it was twice in like one hour. They don't contact you in person to ask you to quiet down if it bothers them, if they don't call the cops, they complain to the dorm staff the next day and just silently stew in anger for the duration of the night. I guess I've been on the other side of that with frat parties next door in the U.S., and I guess they don't have any better idea of how people would react to requests to quiet down than I did, and I certainly considered calling the police before going over to talk with them. I think my situation was more extreme, but I guess it's all relative to what the norm is.

Dunno if I've said this before, but Japanese in general aren't especially well equipped to know how to deal with foreigners. I'm not saying this is a universal thing, or that I've experienced complete incompetence, it's just that Japan, for all its internal variety of trends and interest in Western culture, is still in a lot of ways culturally homogeneous, and the English tends to be worse than that of people from other Asian countries I've met here. They don't really have as much opportunities to deal with people who have different social rules, so when it happens, there's not really as much experience for them to consult. I'm getting a little speculative here and I might be wrong somehow, but this fits with what I've seen and heard.

So, yeah there are some cultural differences that lead to some- if not actual conflict- some kind of... distance between us. But it's nothing that's especially distressing to me. I've met some cool Japanese too.

• SpiderMan Unlimited was originally going to be based off SpiderMan 2099, which is Spiderman in the future, so really it's reversed; SpiderMan is taking cues off Batman Beyond because BB beat them to becoming animated, which is sad Unlimited wasn't even about 2099 at that point. You would be surprised how many people called the 2099 segment of the Dimensions game copying BB.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Dunno if I've said this before, but Japanese in general aren't especially well equipped to know how to deal with foreigners. I'm not saying this is a universal thing, or that I've experienced complete incompetence, it's just that Japan, for all its internal variety of trends and interest in Western culture, is still in a lot of ways culturally homogeneous, and the English tends to be worse than that of people from other Asian countries I've met here. They don't really have as much opportunities to deal with people who have different social rules, so when it happens, there's not really as much experience for them to consult.

Read this.

In other news:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118264-Scientist-Invents-Worlds-First-Perfectly-Healthy-Pizza

I really hope this gets a US release. I would love an excuse to eat pizza whenever the hell I want.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Man 3 hour shifts at work are just ridiculous wastes of time that kill a social life dead. Totally glad I'm quitting this inane job.

I'd make the same complaints about eight hour overnight shifts except my closest social life is a weekly Vampire game sixty miles away. Trying to ask for fewer hours.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Skyrim has some downright weird quest triggers...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Woke up today and found $880 in my bank account instead of the expected $480. Weird, but pleasant.

Be careful if it's a bank error. What Monopoly doesn't tell you is that you don't get to keep that money and they get pissed if you spend it.

On a side note, when you're seeing lesbian subtext in Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated you have to take a long hard look at what you've done with your life.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's not a bank error, my brother got the same thing on Monday.

oh oh oh is there lesbian subtext in that show

should i watch it then