If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Patriot Bot is my nickname for Forex, a Trooper companion. He's a robot who is super patriotic towards the Republic.

Alkthash is away camping, sorry.

• Ah okay. Well, we'll get it done eventually I'm sure. And in the meantime, I'm just gonna post a lot of guild names in the hope that one of them will have a nice ring to it:

-An Awesome Guild

-Determined, But Not Grim (thought of while remembering a guild called "Grim Determination" from my WoW days)

-Order 69

-Godless Killing Machines (while Colbert's almost stopped using that phrase entirely, it still works)

-We Kick The Huttball

-Followers Of Bindo (there are Revanites, so why not?)

-Scum And Villainy

-Never Tell Us The Odds

-Organic Meatbags

-Cannibal Dewbacks

-Gonkites

-Giant Miniature Space Hamsters

• I vote on "Organic Meatbags" and "Scum and Villainy."

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Never Tell Us The Odds

• I'm a damn twisted person

Organic Meatbags and Never Tell Us The Odds.

Heading online in a few hours

• Out of what everybody's voted for, my favourites are Never Tell Us The Odds and Scum And Villainy.

Never Tell Us The Odds it is!

That will be a confusing acronym.

latest patch notes

Sending Companions on Crew Skill missions or accepting mission rewards now prevents the player from being treated as AFK.

YES

YES

FINALLY 

• ^ Were there a lot of people pretending to be AFK when they weren't really?

Also, when might be a good time for the four of us to log on simultaneously and found NTUTO? (Hmm, you're right, that does look a bit odd.)

No. But people who were crafting would often be logged out as they'd forget to move.

I was just about to ask that myself. How does two days from now sound?

Also; things I learned today: I need a lot more practice tanking.

• Two days from now sounds good.

Speaking of group roles, do healers in instances need to be able to either heal themselves occasionally or have a backup healer making sure they don't die?  Because when I healed Hammer Station on Ranis I got killed in the final boss fight, and when tanking the same instance on Faress I was able to hold threat but the healer still ended up taking damage from the boss and dying as a result.

The healers generally need to be survivable enough to tank through some damage, yeah.

Often, this is purely through AoE damage; if you're close enough to heal the tank, you're often close enough to be hit by the attacks.

From what you're saying, though, the tanks, both you and the other guy, need to work on your threat management. Healing has a tendency to draw large amounts of threat, and you need to work on having the tank use threat generation abilities and Taunt abilities in order to get him to focus on the tank.

Ideally, you should only really need one healer for every tank and two DPS's in your team. On Nightmare Mode Flashpoints and so on, you'll probably need an eight-man group, and thus have two healers.

Hammer Station is a doozy of a Flashpoint, though. It's basically a wake-up call boss; one of the ones that says "Yeah, you're pretty much fucked if you don't watch me carefully."

Hammer Station's boss needs to be carefully managed. Crowd Control (CC) is paramount here; you need to interrupt his abilities and often stun/CC the boss with abilities like Mind Maze and their equivalents.

For example, as a tank-specced Shadow, I have a few abilities I need to keep a constant careful eye on;

- Mind Control and Mass Mind Control are my default Taunt options. There are very few enemies who can't be hit with Taunt abilities, and thus forced to attack me.

- Force Pull is a high threat generation move, yanking opponents toward me (and thus away from the person he's attacking). It also acts as an interrupt to any channeled abilities. However, it has a one-minute cooldown, and can only be used from 10-30 metres away from the opponent.

- Slow Time is a high threat generation move, dealing small damage and slowing up to five nearby opponents and yanking their threat towards me. However, it has a Force cost of 30- nearly a full third of my Force, and more than Project costs. It also has an eight-second cooldown. As such, it's not really a sustainable method of threat generation, but it is good for keeping threat topped up.

- Mind Maze is the default CC ability. It stuns an opponent for up to a full minute, giving you time to deal with lesser opponents. This is really necessary in situations where bosses can summon Elites and such; you Mind Maze the boss, taking him out of action as long as nobody is stupid enough to deal damage to him, and you can deal with the other mobs and potentially have time to regain Force/Energy/lose Heat/etc.

- Force Lift is another emergency-use CC ability. It lifts opponents for eight seconds, but they heal rapidly while Lifted if they are Elites/Bosses. It's good for getting an Elite out of the way so you can deal with another one.

- Mind Snap is your default Interrupt. It has something like a 20 second Cooldown, but it's instant-use.

- Force Stun is a combination of CC and an Interrupt. It interrupts any channeled abilities and stuns for three or four seconds, but it has a long cooldown of something like sixty seconds, so you don't want to use it if you don't have to.

- Force Push is a move you have to be careful with. It pushes your opponent back several metres and interrupts anything interruptable. It has a bit of a delay, though, so you have to be fast.

A default combination for me when I'm fighting multiple mobs is to go > Mind Maze on the toughest > Force Lift on the next > Mind Control on the third > deal as much damage as you can on the third > when the Force Lift ends, use Mass Mind Control > try and kill those two as fast as possible > Force Stun the third > proceed to kill him as you would any single Elite.

When I'm in a group, I default to using Slow Time whenever possible, even at the expense of my damage-dealing abilities, because any DPS is supposed to be dealing the damage and you're supposed to be taking the brunt of the damage.

As for Healers;

You need to switch between healing the tank, healing yourself when the tank is not in any immediate danger of dying, and heal the DPS when you have enough Force/whatever to spare and you and the tank are in good health. In that order of priority.

• Yeah, I was using Neural Dart with my BH to hold threat, and the boss was facing me and slashing at me pretty much the entire fight, so he never focused on the healer with anything but AOE I guess.  I didn't have Grapple at the time (which generates a lot of threat as stated in the description of the move) but I was hitting him with explodey things as you suggested earlier and I was also blasting him with my flamethrower as frequently as I could. Often when I was questing with Mako at my side and mobs were attacking her, shooting them with a stream of fire pissed them off enough that they started going after me instead. (Understandable.)

With the Republic group, we were able to take the boss down on the second try after I found a (relatively) safe place to heal from where I didn't have to worry about those damned red circles popping up. With the Imperial group, after we wiped twice in a row our healer was like "Fuck this, I'm getting on my 50." Which he did, which resulted in the boss dying real fast, and at that point I was like "Hey, as long as he's dead and we can finish this flashpoint, I'll take it!"

things I have discovered: I fucking suck at PVP

• edited 2012-06-03 09:27:24
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

more things I have discovered: Doing dailies on Illium, Belsavis and Corellia nets me around 100k, which is supremely useful for buying random crafting materials. Feyrl (my Imperial Agent ((also a healbot)) ) now has nearly 100k worth of Archaeology/Treasure Hunting materials on her, and I even managed to buy a bunch of Grade 6 Gemstones for Alkthash.

Ohohoh

I can also make speedermabobs now. Speeder-bikes, and speeder-mobiles. Level 25 and Level 40 Speeders.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:53:13
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

quadruple post

would everyone be up for making the guild in like... two days

also, this is fuckin' sweet

• I'll certainly try.

And yes, that is pretty sweet.

I'll be online at 12PM AEST, Thursday. I would appreciate it if everyone would please help me then- I have a lot of crafting materials I've bought that I need to store in the guild bank for general use.

• An HK droid companion = pure fucking win.

The downside, though, is that another player told me--and take that for what it's worth, because I don't know where they heard it from--that there wouldn't be same-gender-relationships in the game until new companions were added.  And you can't romance a droid.

Anyway, I can be online to help with that, but if for some reason all four of us can't be on, maybe we could form the guild with somebody else?  I mean, we've all got friends other than the people here, I'm sure, and some of them have to be unguilded and perhaps looking to change that...

Yeah, I've heard that. I've just resigned my hopes for SGR as something to be added down the track.

If anyone else has some unguilded friends, you're more than welcome to add them. I primarily have level 50 PVE'rs as friends, though, and all of them have guilds already.

Going to be online tonight I guess.

• edited 2012-06-08 08:34:56

So in order to figure out how we can all be online at the same time to finally found this guild, here is a list of time zones I dug up:

• GMT Offset (hrs)
      IDLE/NZST     International Date Line East/ New Zealand Standard Time              +12
      AEDT         Eastern Australian Daylight Time                                                      +11
      GST/AEST     Guam Standard Time/Eastern Australian Standard Time                  +10
      JST/ADWT     Japan Standard Time/XXX                                                            +9
      CCT/AWST     China Coast Time/Australian Western Standard Time                     +8
      WAS/CXT     Western Australian Standard Time/Christmas Island Time                +7
      MSD         Moscow Time                                                                                   +6
      BT/MSK     Baghdad Time/Moscow Summer Time                                               +3
      EET/CEST     Eastern European Time/Central European Summer Time                 +2
      CET/SWT     Central European Time/Swedish Winter Time                                  +1
      GMT/UTC     Greenwich Mean Time/ UCT [or UTC] Universal Coordinated Time     0
      WAT         West African Time                                                                            -1
      AT         Atlantic Time                                                                                      -2
      ADT         Atlantic Daylight Time                                                                       -3
      AST/EDT     Atlantic Standard Time/Eastern Daylight Time                                  -4
      EST/CDT     Eastern Standard Time/Central Daylight Time                                  -5
      CST/MDT     Central Standard Time/Mountain Daylight Time                               -6
      MST/PDT     Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Time                                 -7
      PST/YDT     Pacific Standard Time/Yukon Daylight                                             -8
      YST/HADT     Yukon Standard Time/Hawaiian Daylight Time                               -9
      AHST/HAST     Alaska Hawaii Standard Time/Hawaiian Standard Time                -10
      NT         Nome (Alaska) Time                                                                          -11
      IDLW         International Date Line West                                                          -12

I am AEST. GMT+10.

However, from now on I will only be available around 5PM my time on weekdays. Weekends are probably all good, but bam I've lost seven hours a day. :V

• Champion of the Whales

Btw, you're missing WEST or West European Summer Time which is UTC+1

• edited 2012-06-10 12:13:00

Ah, my bad Whale.

Also, I want to share this:

http://www.theminionslayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mako.png

That art... Never link to that artist again.
  • Sorry Alk, I guess I can see how people might find it ugly.  I've replaced the image itself with a link so you won't have to look at it if you don't want to.

Woot, character transfer is up now! I can move my Knight over instead of playing 30 some levels again.
  • probably human

Woo, got this game yesterday. I've made two dudes on The Iron Spire:

Male Human Jedi Knight (Maese, still in the Prologue)

Female Zabrak Trooper (Illell, start of Act One)

The trademark Bioware dialogue system actually manages to make sidequests interesting, which is a plus.