If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes, I can help you out with that in about an hour.

• edited 2012-05-22 07:29:06

So I was talking to Nova in the game yesterday and asking about whether we had a guild; we've got enough people for one, after all.  But to have a guild, you need a name...hmmm....

The first thing that sprang to mind was that we might want to use the IJBM acronym if we can make it stand for something that doesn't sound ridiculous.  The "I" could stand for "Imperial", for example.  I'm having trouble thinking of unsilly things for the rest of the letters to stand for, though.  I mean, we probably want something better than, say, "Imperial Jerkasses Being Mean".  And, of course, if we use those letters for the Republic side, the "I" would need to stand for something else.

Also, Qyzen is awesome.

Yes, yes he is.

I often feel like I'm playing another KOTOR game instead of an MMO, and I'm sure it'll seem more that way as I gain more companions.  That is far, far from a bad thing.

Also, fuck the Jedi Code and whether I get dark side points: I am not snitching on two Padawans in love, and if I meet somebody I can romance, I will damn well romance them.  Seriously, the same guy who wrote a lot of this game wrote this dialogue for Jolee Bindo: "Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."  And before KOTOR is over, you can prove this to be true.  So what's this "Love=dark side points" bullshit in this game?  I mean, I doubt Karpyshyn has changed his opinion on whether Jedi can fall in love without going dark, even almost a decade later.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The love=dark side thing is because Jedi aren't supposed to form personal attachments. It goes against the Jedi Code everyone has sworn to uphold.

Re: the Padawans on Tython: I'd argue that you should have snitched on them. Not because they're in love, but because they tried to bribe you into keeping your silence. They wouldn't make very good Jedi.

Re: A guild: I personally would prefer not to link it to IJBM, if only because I'd like to get friends to play who don't visit IJBM one day.

• I'd argue to those Jedi that you can care for somebody (or something, if we're talking about attachments in general) without it affecting your objectivity.  The one Master said that if you value somebody more highly than everybody else, then that basically isn't fair to everybody else, and I honestly hadn't thought of it that way before...but, you can be in a relationship with somebody while still caring about others.  And while not everybody does this, it is possible to love somebody without always taking their side because you love them.

So if I were one of the Jedi Masters and I learned of those two Padawans, I would sit them down and say to them:

"Guys, what you do in your free time is your own business, but you should think about something.  As you know, we are supposed to avoid becoming too attached, to anything.  You're enjoying your time together right now, but how do you think you'll react if your lover dies?  Do you think that you could keep your emotions under control in that event, that you could keep the anger and the grief from overwhelming you and taking you down a destructive path?  Or, for a less tragic scenario, what if you were in a position where you had to choose between love and duty?

"You have something special now.  You won't always be together, though, and when you're inevitably separated--either temporarily or permanently--it's important that you be able to cope, to function as you normally would.  There is no harm in being part of each other's lives, but if one person is your whole life, that can lead to trouble.

"What do you think of all of this?  If you disagree with anything I've said, don't be reluctant to tell me."

That's what bugged me about the prequels: the Jedi were telling Anakin how to feel and how to act without being interested in his point of view.  A willingness to discuss things, rather than dictate, is preferable IMHO.  Makes the people who have to take orders less resentful if they end up doing something they don't want to.

Maybe the Padawans wouldn't have made good Jedi, but from what I saw I don't think that the guy who gave me the mission to spy on them would have done the right thing.  He struck me as very closed-minded, like "Love is wrong, wrong, wrong, and it must be stamped out like a weed wherever it grows!"  I would've liked it a lot better if I had been able to give them a Jolee-like speech, instead of having to choose between "You need to end this" and "Keep on doing what you're doing, there's absolutely nothing that can possibly go wrong, and unrestrained passion is awesome!"

As for the guild name, that makes sense.

Oh, I don't think it's wrong. It's just breaking the code you have sworn to uphold, and the breaking of the code is what's dark-side, not the actual romance itself. And yes, the code is silly.

I can have the guild up and running any time. However, I need all four of us (You, me, Alk and Lin) logged in at the same time and all grouped up to do that. Can we maybe set a time?

• Sure, I can be on between 7:00 and 10:00 pm EST tonight, and probably a while afterwards, if that works for everybody.

Well, we'll have to wait for Alk to speak up. Usually, he logs on around 12 EST. I can be there at 10-12, though. (Any time before that is before I jump online, though.)

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah I'll log in at 11 CST and stuff. WIll Lin be online then too?

• Is Lin Kraken?  Anyway, I shouldn't have any problem being on at 11 CST, midnight my time. :)

Yeah, Lin is Kraken, sorry.

I'll make sure to be there.

• On #yackfest my handle is Lin_Chong. 

And really trying to figure out times is a headache. I'll just monitor the channel until you guys say you guys wanna play.

It's... pretty much three hours from now.

• Alright, then.

• By the way, which side are we meeting on?

Republic. I have a looot more money on Noximillian than Unave :V

• Gotcha, see you all in a few hours, possibly sooner for some of you since I'm about to log on Ranis right now. :)

See you then, or a bit before.

Okay, so

would everyone be available at the same time they said they'd be available today, but tomorrow?

Also, I found out that you can grind one of the Heroic bosses on Coruscant for a chance to get moddable Bracers. It took me about seventy runs through, but in the end, I found a pair for Consulars. I also found a pair of bracers that are Smuggler-specific. Does anyone here have a Smuggler character?

Also, if you want, Lin/Alk, we could do the world boss on Coruscant tomorrow. I found out the trick to that damned one-shot laser (there has to be at least two people there, or you and a companion, and you have to get a fair distance away from each other, as the laser does heaps of damage when the two people affected by it are close together.)

Sure that sounds good I guess. I've gotten a purple schematic for an enhancement, so how many do you need me to churn our for you and Nadia's weapons and armor?

• edited 2012-05-23 16:35:34

I should be able to be on at the same time tonight, Nova.  And if there are no Smugglers I'd be happy to make one (I want to play through all of the stories, after all).  My main priority is to level up my current characters and catch up with you guys before I do anything else, though, so I'll probably just hang onto those bracers until I do.

Btw, at the time of this post my BH (Faress) is level 14 and my Sage (Ranis) is 13.  Is anybody's alt around that level, or at the point where they're making the trip from their starting planet to the Fleet and then from the Fleet to their faction's capital world?  I still haven't done either the Esseles or Black Talon flashpoints, and would be happy to group with somebody for either.

EDIT: Oops, misremembered my toons' levels; Faress was 13 (although I just got him to 14 after running Black Talon with another player) and Ranis is 11 right now.

Sure that sounds good I guess. I've gotten a purple schematic for an enhancement, so how many do you need me to churn our for you and Nadia's weapons and armor?

I think I need like... 7 for me, 5 for Nadia :V Gloves, head, chest, legs, boot, lightsaber, belt and bracers for me. 8 for me, 6 for Nadia. :V

Is anybody's alt around that level, or at the point where they're making the trip from their starting planet to the Fleet and then from the Fleet to their faction's capital world?

My Trooper is up to Taris, which is after Coruscant.

And if there are no Smugglers I'd be happy to make one

Well, I realized when I woke up today that they might have been bound on pickup. Here's to hoping.

• edited 2012-05-23 20:00:38

YES

LET US KILL THAT THING

...on second thought maybe not I feel like shit.

Hey I thought you guys might want to take a look at what Bioware is saying about the next update. 

Looks like everything I wanted(especially the character transfer so I can just import my Knight). 

Yeah, it's looking to have just about everything I wanted. Except better space missions.

• edited 2012-05-23 22:18:26
    I'm a damn twisted person

And no word on SGRs yet either. 

:(

• As I was telling Nova last night: I want me some Pazaak.  Put Pazaak in this game, BioWare!

PATRIOT BOT

FUCK YEAH

• Feeling stupid for asking, but..."Patriot Bot"?

On another subject, what are the odds that everybody can be online, say, at 3 AM Greenwich Mean Time?

On a third subject, I'm gonna submit an idea for a guild name: The Rancorous Rancors.