If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

But... you don't wish to be a Precure... it just, like... happens. Often when a furry animal slams into your face suddenly.

They are also not men in their twenties who were just transformed into middle school girls because they were arguing about K-On.

What it really comes down to is that Superman's physical traits give him the capacity to fight like no other inhabitant of earth.

Hey, Juan, how many runs of Superman are there where Superman is depowered and yet fights the good fight anyway?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^She's around her twenties I'm pretty sure.

• edited 2012-03-26 22:43:41

">25

>Old

wut."

Didn't you know? In Japan, once a woman reaches age 25, they become worthless.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I'd imagine she's in her twenties, but official confirmation would be cool.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

why are you assuming that only five people in the universe can beat superman i don't understand.

He buys into the popular perception of Superman as one of the biggest powerhouses of DC, probably influenced by Superman's massive levels of fluctuating power in I think it was the Silver Age, where Superman had ridiculous levels of power.

However, without actually knowing the character, he doesn't know where Superman's limits actually lay.

They're a lot closer to 'faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and stronger than ten men' than 'invincible god of fighting', though.

• You can change. You can.

Because he knows nothing about the character.

well, yeah, but still

Look at it this way. Anybody familiar with the superhero genre knows that most mainstream superheroes have a rogue's gallery made of capable villains who can beat our main character, but don't because lol heroes, right

>2012

>Pretending Flash isn't the most powerful member of the Justice League.

• edited 2012-03-26 22:46:03

They are also not men in their twenties who were just transformed into middle school girls because they were arguing about K-On.

Shush. 

>25

>Old

wut.

I dunno.  She's certainly older than all the other characters.  And old enough that she's considered old within the context of a highschool anime.

I dunno.  She's not moemoekyun enough or something. 

Also yeah I don't think there's been any confirmation of her age. 

Pretending Flash isn't the most powerful member of the Justice League.

I should point out that while Flash can certainly punch dozens of orders of magnitude harder than Superman can (not even exaggerating), Flash cannot fly, and neither does he have super-hearing, nor heat vision, nor any of that. Other heroes have a much wider variety of powers than he does.

Wonder Woman, for instance, is much more useful in interrogation.

Other heroes have a much wider variety of powers than he does.

Barry Allen is capable of running faster than the speed of light and, at times during the Silver Age, described as faster than the speed of thought. In Flash #150, "straining every muscle," he ran at ten times the speed of light.[41] However, when he pushed himself further (during the Crisis on Infinite Earths) he appeared to waste away as he was converted into pure energy, traveled back in time, and was revealed in Secret Origins Annual #2 to be the very bolt of lightning that gave him his powers.[42] This was later retconned in The Flash: Rebirth #1, where Barry stated that he "ran into the Speed Force," and that, "When [he] stopped the Anti-Monitor, when [he] ran into the 'Speed Force' and joined it, it was like shedding [his] identity."[16]
    Barry Allen possesses abilities that Jay Garrick has not always been able to duplicate, most notably the ability to "vibrate" in such a way as to pass through solid matter. Allen has regularly engaged in time travel using the Cosmic Treadmill device (he no longer needs this to conduct this feat), and is able to "vibrate" between dimensions. Barry is unique among Flashes and most characters in the DC Universe in that he has complete control over every molecule in his body.[43] In Grant Morrison's Final Crisis, using the Speed Force, Allen was able to undo the effects of the Anti-Life Equation upon an individual: an ability he used on his wife Iris to free her from the bondage of Darkseid's mind control.[14] He has recently been revealed to not only be connected to the Speed Force, but is the very source of it, generating it with every step he takes. As such, he presumably has some of the Speed Force-related abilities other speedsters have demonstrated (such as lending and stealing speed), though he has yet to demonstrate such abilities. This alone is enough to make him one of the most powerful beings on Earth, and perhaps in existence. He is also immune to telepathic attacks and control, as he can shift his thoughts at a speed faster than normal thought. He used this tactic against Black Lantern Martian Manhunter in Blackest Night. Through "speed-reading" Barry can absorb large amounts of information into his short-term memory, which remain in his mind just long enough for him to make use of it. Using this technique, Barry was able to learn enough about building work to rebuild a destroyed apartment building.[44]
    While it was initially believed that Barry Allen is unable to alter the timeline, as that power is tied to the Reverse-Speedforce held by Professor Zoom, it has since revealed that Barry Allen does possess that power, only, due to him researching the most utilitarian effects of the Speed Force, he never did mastered it. Still, as showcased in Flashpoint, Barry Allen lacks the subtitetly and the knowledge over time-travel mechanics needed to enact specific changes, thus leading him, on his first use of the aforementioned power, to turn his own timeline into a distopia instead of simply reverting a small change enacted by Zoom .[45]

Let me put it this way. With the super soft science explanation of how Flash works, there's really no reason Flash could be considered anything less than invincible.

It's why New 52 gave him the 'using your powers too much causes rifts in space/time' thing.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Barry Allen is capable of running faster than the speed of light and, at times during the Silver Age, described as faster than the speed of thought

Isn't thought slower than light, though? :P

Seriously, though, Kingdom Come made me want to read some Flash stuff. 

Isn't thought slower than light, though? :P

Yup. But you know, comics

Seriously, though, Kingdom Come made me want to read some Flash stuff.

Mark Waid run is the sexiest, most awesome DC run not involving Grant Morrison, really. Although that's Wally's growth into the role of Flash after Allen's death.

> super-speed

> immunity to mind reading/control

> intangibility

> the ability for his thoughts to keep up with his speed

> apparently really bad time travel

Yeah, as I said, he can hit really hard, and also he can go back in time and get a pet T-Rex if he wanted, apparently. But he cannot, say, fly, or force people to tell the truth, or burrow into people's heads and make them disable the bomb they put up.

• edited 2012-03-26 22:52:30
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I also recommend the New 52 run. It's specifically made to be beginner friendly and it's lots of great super-sciencey stuff.

^Oh his powers aren't as versatile certainly.

Yeah, as I said, he can hit really hard, and also he can go back in time and get a pet T-Rex if he wanted, apparently. But he cannot, say, fly, or force people to tell the truth, or burrow into people's heads and make them disable the bomb they put up.

Well, yeah, he doesn't have those powers, but he's definetly the most powerful member in the Justice League.

Mind you, powerful does not mean valuable.

And, as they say, power has only one part to do with strength. After all, who has more power; the soldier in an army, or the general who commands an army?

He can very probably fight off anything that would try to attack him, yeah, but that by no means says that he can contain the variety of threats that even Superman could. The Flash would be pretty much useless in space, for instance.

The Flash would be pretty much useless in space, for instance.

i'm sure the speed force can get around that.

Either way, the thing is, again, when you're the only member of your league who can destroy and remake reality, you're definetly off the charts

stupid speed force being an invincible aura of do-things-ness

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm not going to pretend that I keep up with Superman comics or have read them extensively, but I've read a few, seen some of the films and played Superman 64. And from what I gather here, Superman can still do things like live in a vacuum, survive a hail of bullets unharmed and so on and so forth.

It's fair to say I'm not entirely informed, but then again, there has to be a reason I didn't continue to seek out Superman media. That's not an objective statement, but clearly there's elements of Superman stories that prevent them from being universally engaging, especially if I enjoy lots of silly things like Star Wars and LotR.  

>Pretending this isn't the same position Aragorn, The Man With No Name, John McClane, Spider-man, or any protagonist in anything action-oriented.

Never did, although in Aragorn's case, he's a woodsman, tracker, healer and has political authority to consolidate a fracturing kingdom. He fights about eight times in the written publication over three books. His coercive potential is still a large factor, but it's not what puts him in the position we find him in, nor is it what informs our expectations. His major skill is his capacity to hold people together and inspire cooperation, even if he's also a very good swordsman. 

LotR might be considered action-oriented because of the films, but criticisms against the books for being too slow should lay that factor to rest, at least insofar as the inherent storyline is concerned. Aragorn and co are secondary protagonists in any case -- the bulk of the story is about a midget black ops mission led by a wizard angel. 

It's fair to say I'm not entirely informed, but then again, there has to be a reason I didn't continue to seek out Superman media. That's not an objective statement, but clearly there's elements of Superman stories that prevent them from being universally engaging, especially if I enjoy lots of silly things like Star Wars and LotR.

It really depends on the author you're reading. Some authors really manage to make Superman accessible and readable

Tell you what, Alex. Read All Star Superman and if you don't like it when you're well allowed to not ever like Superman without me criticizing you.

• edited 2012-03-26 23:05:29
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm not going to pretend that I keep up with Superman comics or have read them extensively, but I've read a few, seen some of the films and played Superman 64. And from what I gather here, Superman can still do things like live in a vacuum, survive a hail of bullets unharmed and so on and so forth.

None of which would give you a clear understanding of the rest of the DC Universe, or even a clear indication of the true extent of Superman's Rogue Gallery.

He is certainly superhuman, yes, but in the context we are talking, he is not anywhere close to being God-tier. There are much, much more than just five people who could defeat Superman in a fight.

He is immune to little things like bullets from random thugs, yes, but Superman is also the type of person who will take on people like Darkseid, who are outside of even his own weight class, simply because he wants to protect everyone. It is easy for him to face down regular thugs, but Superman also consistently tackles things that could injure or kill him because he wants to help.

^ Yes, read All-Star Superman and see if you like his characterization there.

Honestly though, if he ends up not liking All-Star Superman I'm not sure we can still be friends.

Same, Malk. Same. 

• No rainbow star

It's surprisingly hard to get Sonic R working on Windows 7 =/

• No rainbow star
    >Gets told yesterday that I have to grab the bus Thursday morning

>Gets up at 5:15 AM to get ready

>Gets dressed, uses bathroom, etc. Now fully awake on 3 hours sleep

>Dad: "What are you doing up so early? I'll give you a lift to school

The 3 hours sleep part is my fault, but x.x
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Obviously, Superman has human relationships, human emotions and largely human mental processes, but those stories can be told with any character.

Well actually, no to the human mental processes part. At least in All Star Superman at any rate, but I see no reason why other stories would disregard this bit of characterization. But what keeps Superman from having human mental processes is his super senses and how ridiculously in tune with the world he is. He hears and sees everything from miles around. And some things like the sounds of suffering are what compel him to be a tireless force of good, other simple things like the steady heartbeat of his parents in the background, keep him going and reassure him.

Or tl;dr Superman is partially the way he is because of how he perceives the world. 

And bluh, previous two pages of conversation have made me realize that Spider-man can be looked up as a thematic mashup of Superman's and Batman's core themes. Which would certainly explain his appeal I suppose. 

• edited 2012-03-27 10:27:03
    No rainbow star
    Oh, huh, comic discussion

...I've only read one issue of the X-Men. That issue, video games, and movies are the only exposure I have to western comics

Damn lack of comic book stores in my city >.>

It's not like Colombia is brimming with comic book stores, yannow.

• I'm a damn twisted person

If you have biggish sized bookstore like Barnes and Noble in your city, there should be a comics section with a bunch of TPB collections. You can go and be one of those assholes who ruins the spines of the trades by flipping through them in the store to read them.

And while I still maintain that the scene where Jinno decides to become Jackie Chan is the best part of the Kamen Rider Accel Movie, the out takes are hilarious.