If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

OTC

Comments

• why can;t we all just get along? :,(
  • No. Cakman is no fun. I already have hate orgies with him.
  • Oh.

How about ambivalence orgies? Those are kind of fun, some of the time.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    OTC, more like OTT amirite?

No. I am not right. I am incorrect.
  • edited 2011-10-03 19:01:34
    Loser
    AHR,
    Louie: Not at all!

Basically, it's referring to the fact you will be a better writer if you go out and socialize, and experience things, as opposed to staying on the computer all day, and writing.

It's basically a debate on the importance of experience, socializing being one of the main ones.

If you actually want to see the thread and come to your own conclusion, I'll message the link to you.

Oh, okay, I think that actually sounds kind of interesting, but I guess I do tend to agree with the general consensus here that sitting around typing on your computer all day long is not necessarily going to make you a good writer. I suppose the truth of that statement kind of depends on the context too, since certain genres probably benefit from experience more than others.

Feel free to message me the link if you would like. I am curious to see how that thread actually unfolded.

Neo_Crimson,
    Like others have said, there's the problem with cyclical arguments, extremism, bad logic, and how vehemently people defend their own arguments just makes it an incredibly frustrating place to be.

I think you really hit the nail on the head when you described it as a frustrating place to be. I definitely do not believe it is worth it to hate certain tropers just because they post in OTC. It is the atmosphere of the place itself that I dislike more than anything else. I guess that is kind of ironic since some people seem to feel similarly about the old IJBM.

I feel like part of the reason why some might not see why a lot of IJBMers really dislike OTC is because having a preference for IJBM may entail having a preference for certain types of conversations that are just not found in OTC.

korohoro147,
    why can;t we all just get along? :,(

That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

• I think my least favorite thing about OTC at this point is the tendency for certain posters to pop into a thread several posts in, say something that's both inflammatory and completely typical of them, and then watch the flames. I'm not sure if they're just bored or if they want to pick fights or what.
  • I guess that is kind of ironic since some people seem to feel similarly about the old IJBM.

On that note, I tend to think that at one point IJBM and OTC were kind of similar. Both were home to heated arguments about serious topics, both housed people with... extraordinary opinions, both were used by the very same politics duelists as battlegrounds, and overall they were the two places to hang out for arguing, only that with one you could have wonderposts and memes to go along with your debates and such.

For whatever reason IJBM1 later became even more wonderposty, topics on serious matters became less frequent and, well, you know the rest.
  • It seems that my strategy of not letting myself get so emotionally invested in an internet forum that I can say with a straight face that I hate another poster has paid off big time.
  • You can change. You can.
    There are 17 instances of the word hate in this very page.

i find this demonstrates my point that people don't truly know what hate is. Or that they're incredibly sensitive.
  • ^ Agreed. There are people I'd regard as annoying posters who I could do without reading, but I wouldn't sit there hoping they'd die in a fire with their whole family or something.

Getting too emotionally invested in a website is a bad idea, really.

• I think emotionally invested is the whole problem. Not that I think it's exclusively their problem, but they seem to take pride in their site and their forums, and will regard criticism against their home or their personal views an attack on who they are.
  • edited 2011-10-04 14:13:43
    Loser
    Stormtroper,
    On that note, I tend to think that at one point IJBM and OTC were kind of similar. Both were home to heated arguments about serious topics, both housed people with... extraordinary opinions, both were used by the very same politics duelists as battlegrounds, and overall they were the two places to hang out for arguing, only that with one you could have wonderposts and memes to go along with your debates and such.

For whatever reason IJBM1 later became even more wonderposty, topics on serious matters became less
    frequent and, well, you know the rest.

That definitely brings up an interesting point and I wish that IJBM had not been completely wiped out so we could go back to look at it for more examples of those parallels. My memory of the old IJBM gets worse by the day, but I think your description of it is fairly accurate. There were after all, debates and the like there, some of which did seem to get quite heated. I also remember complaints about there being too much wonderposting and it distracting from the serious arguments.

Still, I feel like one big difference between OTC and the old IJBM was that IJBM did not have the intimidation factor going against it. I remember quite a few instances of people explaining their reluctance to post in OTC by claiming that they did not feel smart enough for it. Your mileage may vary on whether that kind of self-selection is a good thing, but one thing I liked about IJBM was that people felt freer to discuss things there without needing to be ready to enter into a heated debate.

ninjaclown,
    I think emotionally invested is the whole problem. Not that I think it's
    exclusively their problem, but they seem to take pride in their site
    and their forums, and will regard criticism against their home or their
    personal views an attack on who they are.

This seems to pretty much sum up the serious atmosphere issue with OTC. Maybe having derails and memes from time to time helps get rid of the kind of problem you mentioned by putting a little more humor and friendliness into discussions. Then again, I have seen memes used pretty impolitely too.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @LouieW: What you point out is a good point; wonderposting and humor does not necessarily mean politeness and friendliness; one of the best examples is the "It's that thread again" macro.
  • Egad, I remember that kind of hypocrisy from IJBM I.
     What you point out is a good point; wonderposting and humor does not necessarily mean politeness and friendliness; one of the best examples is the "It's that thread again" macro.

However, it means casualness. Which is, I think, a very important aspect to this site's appeal. We can discuss matters ina most casual, jokey fashion. Even if the joke is at our own expense. 

Of course, some people are more sensible than others, so it's a matter with pros and cons.

Then again, that's life and everything for you, isn't it?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    So I just went on OTC as IJBM was playing up for me.

Half of me wants to join debates, the other half remembers that when I join in and post link to back up my position I get ignored in favour of arguing with those without evidence/data/studies/etc. :/
  • edited 2011-10-04 17:33:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've learned that facts and good logical support don't convince people.

Good messaging convinces people.  Facts and good logical support are for when people poke holes in your argument.  That, or shouting/spamming people down.
    Depends on the people you're addressing, Glenn. Also, it's bad to assume any characteristic to the people you're addressing without any evidence to think they possess them.
  • edited 2011-10-04 18:11:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What I meant was that you need both facts/logic and good messaging, and simply throwing a bunch of facts at people is rarely going to convince them of anything, especially if they already strongly disagree with you.
  • i find this demonstrates my point that people don't truly know what hate is. Or that they're incredibly sensitive.

There are plenty of people on OTC whose feelings on certain matters descend right into outright hatred.  You're lucky if they bother putting up a thin veil.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    OTC? I liked it more when it was an Overkill song!

Amirite fellas? eh? eh?

....I'll go now.
    I mostly meant here rather than in OTC. 

OTC's problem is that most of them don't know how to convey a message without hyperbole or exaggeration.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    Forgive me for asking, but what's OTC?

I dunno >:(
  • edited 2011-10-05 11:07:06
    $80+ per session
    It's a section of the forum on Tv Tropes, the site that IJBM originally came from. It stands for On Topic Conversations, one's that can't be derailed. It usually is about current events and topics, and hot debates, and has a lot of pretty stupid people.

Also check your inbox
  • ^ Well, that's the OTC we're discussing. There is also, apparently, the Ohio Turnpike Commission.

And in British public schools there's the Officer Training Corps.

• edited 2011-10-05 12:19:46
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany and racism and idiocy and circlejerks.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    That was a run on sentence, but I'll take your word for it.
  • ^^ And attention-seeking. Mustn't forget that.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It is supposed to foster serious discussions.  It actually does this quite well.

The main issues are that "serious" does not mean "civil", and "serious" also does not mean "worthy of discussion".  For example, you can get people engaging in lengthy and heated discussions about how a theoretical war between the United States and China would unfold.

That said, it contains a lot of really useful information if you want information on specific topics, and DON'T have the silly idea that that place will emulate a Harvard law class in terms of civility and content.
  • and DON'T have the silly idea that that place will emulate a Harvard law class in terms of civility and content.

This. I haven't really seen much on OTC that I don't see on pretty much any online community with the sample size that TVTropes has.

I'd actually venture to say that the WoW forums were an order of magnitude worse back when I still followed them.