If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

OTC

edited 2011-09-30 19:59:53 in General
Yeah yeah, this is like the millionth thread about them, but I just can't stand all the Cultural Posturing that goes on there. Since when did China become the scourge of the world who must be defeated? Since when did Israel become this evil nation that exists to wreak misery and despair upon its neighbours?

Comments

• All of the middle-east is a disgusting shithole that needs to be glassed for the good of the world.

China, on the other hand, is awesome. Just not as awesome as it used to be. Been cutting corners in recent decades. 
  • edited 2011-09-30 20:03:24
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    > Since when did Israel become this evil nation that exists to wreak misery and despair upon its neighbours?

14 May 1948.

/not serious.

Personally on OTC I see more support for Israel and demonisation of Palestine/'other' ME countries than vice versa.
  • China has an unmanned space module, clearly now is the time to discuss how superior the US is.
  • IJBM: In my head "OTC" still means the Ohio Turnpike Commission
  • Doesn't mean a damned thing to me. 
  • I don't know who they are and I'm sure I would prefer them over the OTC I'm talking about.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Maybe you should just stop looking. There's always gonna be stupid people. Doesn't mean you have to look at them.

It's how I stay sane.
  • #1. Kill everyone. 
    #2. Raise undead army.
    #3. ????
    #4. PROFIT!

• Ninjaclown - Unfortunately, many Westerners fear the power of China and many liberals hate the policies of Israel and OTC is mostly made up of Western liberals, plus the Internet atmosphere allows people to unleash full-tilt prejudices they might tone down IRL.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Common thing that happens for me.

>Go onto TVT forum
    >Mean to go into Writer's Block accidentally click on OTC
    >Against my better judgment click on a thread
    >Fuck it I quit.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    > trying to go anywhere on the left hand side of the forum

Well there's your problem
    Writer's Block is just amusingly dumb. OTC is worryingly dumb. Like those people are probably voters.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Since when did China become the scourge of the world who must be defeated?

Since it bought up about 16% of the US public debt and stole all of our manufacturing base. /sortajoking

Anyway, OTC isn't actually that dumb unless you think that "having different opinions" equals "being dumb".
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    No, a lot of the posters really don't know how to debate. There's a lot of circlejerking, circular arguments, logical fallacies, unsubstantiated arguments, and a whole lot more all up in that bitch.
    not to mention just plain... stupidity.

And while the liberal circlejerking is definitely there, there is a good deal of worrying racism and jacking off to the idea of a war with China as well.

Worst of Both Worlds.
  • Yup, that's my problem, jacking off at the thought of having a war with China or any other significant country, it's like they don't understand the definition of war is or the consequences of it or even how, oh I don't know, it's not something anyone should enjoy?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    See, I see OTC as a place for:
    * getting news about certain topics (such as Arab Spring related news stories)
    * a place to post things to try to influence public opinion and get people to think about certain things
  • What bugs me about OTC is that it's basically everything that sucked about IJBM 1, and very little of what was fun about it.

Nonetheless, there's still some interesting news that pops up there, and every once in a while you'll find a gem, or someone militantly yelling themselves into an amusing corner.  Kind of a minefield though.  Best navigated by flying-types.

RE: China, they're doing a hell of a lot of unacceptable stuff, but the notion of a war with them right now is in absolutely nobody's best interests, even if one were to be stupid enough to ignore the whole "yeah, war is kind of bad" bit.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    No, a lot of the posters really don't know how to debate. There's a lot of circlejerking, circular arguments, logical fallacies, unsubstantiated arguments, and a whole lot more all up in that bitch.

There's only one guy I can think of who does that regularly.

Or two.

Or... shit, you're right

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ Yep.
  • You can change. You can.
    Problem with OTC, to put it succintly, is that arguing in there is tough. It's not simply about the opinions, but presentation and argumentation, and people there don't care about that. They tend to fall into fallacy-full walls of text without any meaning behind them.
    The problem is that it's people who only have basic knowledge of issues arguing about complex issues on the internet and act like their opinion is unbreakable fact and throw hissy fits at anyone disagreeing with it.

If only I had a .gif that expressed my amused disdain at such things...
  • I think the "throwing hissy fits when challenged" bit is the core of the problem. There's nothing wrong about arguing about complex issues with only basic knowledge, people do it in real life constantly, but you should be prepared to back down when you're wrong (and be aware that you might be proved wrong).

The positive side is that some of the people involved in OTC are still quite young and participating in it might even help them appreciate this point

That's a positive outlook. I think OTC's attitude encourages a binary attitude of right and wrong rather than acknowledging separate points.
  • I peeked into OTC and lost my soul.

Thanks Malk.
  • $80+ per session
    >and lost my soul

Too late :3
  • My favorite left-side debate was actually in writer's block, which was "will my writing suffer from not having a life?" or something to that extent.

It got locked, rebooted, and then the same people showed up to argue the same things.

Fun.
  • Oh, God.

For anyone who's interested, the answer to that one is "Yes." Just trust me on this.

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-02 11:36:24
    I know that, you know that, but some do not. 

It doesn't help who was arguing no.