If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What's your favorite work of fiction ever?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    > Game of thrones

you're my new best friend
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Game of Thrones is definitely way up there for me.

^^^ Sure. Not positive when I'll get around to reading them, considering that I'm in the middle of like five or six things, but I'll take em.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Anime: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Comics: Toss-up between Transmetropolitan and Bone
    Film: Can't Decide
    Literature: Can't Decide
    Live Action TV: Haven't actually watched a live-action TV series all the way through
    Western Animation: Avatar: The Last Airbender
  • Anime: Revolutionary Girl Utena (from the admittedly few episodes that I've seen)
    Comics: Little Nemo
    Film: Apocalypse Now
    Literature: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Live Action TV: Can't think of anything.
    Western Animation: Moral Orel
  • edited 2011-09-21 13:33:04
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Update:

Film: Mega Piranha
    Live Action TV: The Colbert Report
    Western Animation: The Boondocks
  • edited 2011-09-20 22:15:00
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I want to change one of my answers.

Favorite live action show is Arrested Development.
  • $80+ per session
    Cartoon: Avatar

Game: TWEWY

TV: Game of Thrones

Anime: FLCL

Movie: Inception
  • edited 2011-09-20 22:31:30
    You can change. You can.
    ^^You're a good man.
  • I don't have favorites.

It's too bad really, I can't honestly categorize something as "Favorite"

• Augh... There are so many I love...

I think it was Mel Brooks who said "Out of the about 100,000 movies that have been made, I'd say between 3,000 and 4,000 of them are my favorite movie."

But I'll try:

• Comics: Sinkha.
    • Film, Live Action: The movie that changed me into a SciFi nerd for life.  Star Wars: A New Hope.
    • Film, Anime: Howl's Moving Castle
    • Literature: Narnia
    • Live Action TV: Mythbusters (I don't watch much TV anymore except news)
    • Tabletop Game: D&D 2.5e Planescape.
    • Video Games: Starcraft.
    • Webcomics: Drowtales.
    • Western Animation: Samurai Jack.
    • Standalone book: Gone with the Wind
    • Book series: Deltora Quest
    • Movie: The Matrix
    • Anime: Princess Tutu
    • Video game series: Elder Scrolls
    • Standalone game: Shadow of the Colossus

> Movie: The Matrix

friendship over, sorry, waltz--

> Standalone game: Shadow of the Colossus

Nvm, lil sis.
  • I had forgotten Star Wars until I saw Frodo's post above. That original trilogy were definitely my favourite films as a kid, so it probably warrants a mention here, although it's a long time since I watched them.

Also, as a book, The Lord of the Rings would probably have been my favourite for a long time. I'm not sure what is now.

• ^^ Matrix is just a guilty pleasure, I sweawr~! D8 /grovelling

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Can't believe I forgot about Mega Piranha when listing favorite movies. That's definitely my favorite.
    ^^ Join the film club! Discover new movies! Find new civilizations! Boldly go where no nerd has gone before

^ You just get off on hurting me, don't you?
  • edited 2011-09-21 14:08:50
    Eastern Cartoon: DragonBall or Tenchi Muyo

Eastern Comic: It's a tie between Saiyuki, TRASH or King of Hell

Western Comic: Invincible

Film: DragonHeart, The Man From Earth, Up, Hercules, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future Part II.

Book: The Colour of Magic, Journey to the West, The Great Gatsby, The Saga of Darren Shan/Larten Crepsley

TV: Doctor Who, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Thick of It, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Only Fools and Horses.

Table Top Game: Savage Worlds

Video Game: Crash Bandicoot 3, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Fable: The Lost Chapters, Portal 2, Mega Man 7

Web Comic: Bob and George, Jack

Western Cartoon: Spider-Man: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Animainiacs, Megas XLR
    "You just get off on hurting me, don't you?"

Wait, what? I'm serious, though. Mega Piranha was probably the most enjoyable cinematic experience I've had. When I watched it, it was also better because a bunch of people I was watching it with didn't figure that it was a parody. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was pretty good, but now that I'm reading the book, I'm a little disappointed at how altered the movie was.
  • By medium, picking favourites is still going to be tricky, but I'll take a shot at it. The list generally leans towards picking stuff that barely anyone else is going to pick.

Cartoons: Many I could go with, but I'll say Garfield and Friends (along with the Garfield TV Specials). The backgrounds are crude, but the cartoon is still as wittily subversive as ever.

Film: Ed Wood: A Tim Burton freak story at its best, being a rags-to-riches story without the riches. Strange, funny, and heartwarming.

Literature: 1984. Like Atlas Shrugged if Atlas Shrugged didn't suck and was actually relevant. Though it has one heck of a dumb fandom.

Music: For classical music, Mozart. For pop music, Queen. Hard to explain in concrete terms, since it's, well, music.

Live Action TV: Right now, I'd say Brass Eye, but that's mostly impulse speaking. Likely will change once I see more British shows.

Video Games: Again, BIT.TRIP convinced me that video games could be art. The blend of minimalist polygon graphics with atmospheric, ambient music; abstract, universal themes; and gameplay that operates on instinct as well as focus makes for a very surreal experience. You've played stuff similar to it, but there's nothing like it.

Well, if we're adding music: Protest the Hero

And webcomic: Order of the Stick. Of course.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Most of my favorites are (relatvely) static, but my favorite music changes so often that I usually don't even think about it.

But at the moment, I'd have to go with dai's stuff.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Going by medium, my favorite works of fiction ever are:

Anime & Manga: Dragon Ball Kai.
    Comic Books: Watchmen and The Incredible Hercules.
    Film: The Dark Knight and The Usual Suspects.
    Literature: Fahrenheit 451.
    Live Action TV: Firefly.
    Theater: Hamlet and A Streetcar Named Desire.
    Video Game: A three-way split between Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic Colors and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
    Western Animation: Adventure Time and Justice League.
  • No rainbow star
    Guess if I split by genre:

Film: Not sure. Guess Lord of the Rings trilogy. I don't watch films often enough

Book: The Island by Gary Paulsen

Manga: Parasyte

Comic: I've only ever read one in my entire life (an issue of X Men. I can't find it right now for some reason). We don't have a comic book store in Airdrie (closest thing to one is a pawn shop)

Anime: Medabots

Western Animation: Spiderman TAS

Video Game (Series): Pokemon

Video Game (Stand Alone): Minecraft

Song: A toss up between It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by Great Big Sea and Whiskey And Tobacco by Jon Allen
    Comic Books: Watchmen and The Incredible Hercules.
    Film: The Dark Knight and The Usual Suspects.
    Live Action TV: Firefly.
    Western Animation:Justice League.

Komodin is a bro.
  • edited 2011-09-24 18:46:35
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    Animes: New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
    Webcomix: Gunnerkrigg Court
    Film: Inception
    Literature: The Lost Fleet series
    Live Action TV: Firefly
    Video Game: Battlestations: Pacific
    Western Animation: My Little Ponies:  Friendship Is Magic
    Song: Crosswise - TM Revolution
  • I'm going to count TV Miniseries as a separate thing.

TV Miniseries: Band of Brothers
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Oh why not.

Movie: Bladerunner
    Book: Dracula
    Manga:Rurouni Kenshin
    Comic: Grant Morrison's Batman
    Video Game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Anime:Gankutsuou
    Western Animation: Batman The Animated Series
    Live Action TV: The Prisoner
    Live Action TV: The Prisoner

Didn't see that coming

i mean, not saying you can't like it, but...i dunno.

you didn't like lost and you liked the prisoner?

weirdo.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    By that logic I shouldn't like Twin Peaks either. =P
    No, by that logic, you should like Twin Peaks, Lost and The Prisoner.

Pay attention, damn you. >:|