If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Mario is going to be renamed.

Comments

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Seriously? What the fuck?! This thing needs to get renamed and they just won't listen to sense. Times like this, I'm glad I'm banned or else I'd get banned. You guys deserve medals of patience.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yeah, seriously. Link.

One day, I might actually swallow my pride and attempt to get unbanned.

Nah!

• Dar, I posted.
    I guess, you could try this argument now.

Whenever someone says "Do The Mario!", they are going to think of a well-balanced character instead of a crappy dance for a 1980s children's show. We can't have that!
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    23+
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I think we've already managed to push the ratio from 1.3:1 to 1.52:1. That's definitely progress.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The title may be broken, but it doesn't matter, as it is not effecting the trope itself.

The title may be broken, but that doesn't matter because its not affecting the Trope and it would be actual work to fix it~

Seriously?
    Honestly, laziness is the most valid reason I've seen not to rename it so far.
    Why are we even trying, INUH?
    Because someone has to.

And besides, we've increased the ratio by .35 in under 24 hours.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ To stop the stupid precedent of not renaming tropes because of the Grandfather Clause. 
  • edited 2011-08-04 21:26:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That too.

If we can set precedent with this, that really opens one hell of a floodgate.
    On the Grandfather Clause thing. Here is the pagequote, which basically describes the concept.

"This comes as no surprise: It's a cliche that Superman's glasses are the most laughably ineffective costume ever, but who cares? Changing that part of the mythos would be like taking the stars off the American flag. So screw suspension of disbelief: Superman predates it. He's got a free pass to be wearing the same completely unbelievable disguise 70 years later."

Basically, the idea behind the Grandfather Clause is that the concept you are describing is cliche, discredited or otherwise dead, but the concept is so integral to the character, so entrenched in everyone's view of the character, that to change it would be to remove part of what makes the character who and what they are.

The Mario in no way, shape or form makes the Wiki what it is. Changing the name would not do a thing to change the view people have of the Wiki, except, perhaps, to note that we are removing the worst titles there.
  • Don't give up Cygan. Seriously.
  • edited 2011-08-04 21:34:31
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Plus, it's not just the glasses he uses for a disguise anymore; he changes his whole manner of being (accent, stutter, posture, confidence, stride, etc.). 

Also, do not give up. KEEEEEEEP HOOOOLDING OOOOOON
    We're up to 1.57.

Nobody's responded to my latest point...could that be a good sign?
  • edited 2011-08-04 21:34:26
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I've pretty much given up already. The people there are just so stupid. They're so entrenched in their view that if it is not causing misuse on the Wiki then it may not need to be repaired. They're looking at the Wiki as a self-contained resource, but they're all missing the point of a Wiki, in that we want the Wiki to be actually used, we want people to find these Tropes, we want people to actually learn of its' existence if they are searching for the Trope.

^ I think it means they're ignoring you.
    But are they ignoring me because they can't think of a valid rebuttal? That's a good kind of ignoring.
    Yes.

No.

I don't know.

They're just not listening.
    No, it means they've quietly sunken into their little corner knowing that no matter how much better our arguments are, there's not a solid enough consensus to rename the trope.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    For what it's worth, I voted for you guys too.
    Surprise surprise. 
    I wish I could update the crowner. Does anyone have any better points to add to it?
    I can't think of anything else, since your arguments are much better than those of the opposition, and seem to counter those arguments without further elaboration.

I also think it's stupid that they require any sort of ratio whatsoever for deciding this beyond "one has more, so it wins", let alone 2:1.
    How about: Grandfather Clause should not be a valid reason to keep a trope name? 
    Also: Grandfather Clause does not, in fact, come close to applying here, as Cygan said.
    Up to 1.58:1.