If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Mario is going to be renamed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Would someone not on an iPhone care to point that out in the thread?
  • Probably no Good INUH

English Ivy tried that card with pulling the Rules of the site.
  • You can change. You can.
    I'll do it anyway.

After that, I'll probably sleep. So...um...make the best of it, I guess.
  • edited 2011-08-05 04:49:47
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I didn't even list it as a rule. I just noticed that it is amusing that it is listed as an example of a good trope to rename, and yet when it is brought up for renaming people object to renaming it because it's not broken and there is no need to rename it.
  • Actually, Can someone pull up the evidence for the misuses?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    As much as I want to help more, I should've been asleep four hours ago. Night, all.
  • You can change. You can.
    It's not a rule, admittedly, but if the staff that's a good example of a page that needs a rename...well, yeah.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The crux of the matter:

The name is a poor one. The article itself is good, although in need of a tweak.

The article is doing well. People are linking to it to it because it explains the concept well.

People are attributing the article's success to the title.

People are refusing to rename the trope because of this.

People are refusing to listen to this no matter how it is explained.

And thus, people are settling with a bad name rather than a good name.
  • Jack of All Stats sounds like a good name.

Heck, even The Balanced One does a better job.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    I am truly sorry that this isn't working out.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It currently has a ratio of 1.64:1, with a lead of +32.

This is really consensus, but whatever.
  • edited 2011-08-05 07:15:42
    Belief
    I'm reading the Renamed Trope page(list of trope names that have already had their names revamped, And there's about 4-5 examples of things being renamed due to character name only...

One just says "Named after a character name"

That was a weird pot-hole thing that happened O_o

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RenamedTropes
    If I recall, there are other tropes named after characters. The Kirk, The Spock, and The McCoy. Correct?
  • Dammit. I hate the fact that I wanted to :[ at calling people stupid so gratuitously, only to quietly remove that stance once I saw a somewhat-foe of mine is defending it.

Dammit. I am hypocrite.
    Yes.

I never did get those.
  • Although, The Spock is something that you might have trouble renaming, because The Spock pretty much is exactly what you would expect.

Those tropes are more about characters relationship, if I recall. I really need to quit talking about tropes while I'm on this computer. But I don't think all character named tropes are bad.

• A character who has asupergenius-level intelligence, but is from a culture of strict mental discipline based on pure logic that prevents him from standard, normal emoting.

Pretty much the basic flanderization of Spock. I'm not saying it's a good or bad trope name, but it's way more intuitive.
    So I am wrong then. I see what you mean though. Yeah, The Spock is probably the best name for the trope. Besides, when you say The Spock, that's what one might think of.
    Who or what is Spock?

Noun
    Spock - United States pediatrician whose many books on child care influenced the upbringing of children around the world (1903-1998)

?! wat
  • Spock is a character from the tv series Star Trek.

First thing to come up on Google.
  • We were all raised by Spock!

Children of Spock!

Boring.

Sorry, I usually type in 'Define [term]'.

What about The Wesley? (Also from Star Trek)

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-05 07:34:40
    That one is more debatable, but still more intuitive on a meta level. He was massively seen to be a Mary Sue by those watching the series.

Plus, it helps that he's not seen to be anything else, like the Mario is.

But, I'm not here to defend or attack tropes.
    *Has flashbacks to the Naked Now* Odin, I hated that kid!
    IJBM: I keep thinking that means the opposite of what it does thanks to Angel.
  • Cygs: Hahahah. I think that being Whedon's intention is a popular WMG.
  • I always think of that Wesley too whenever I see it X3

And Zoidberg

The Sixth Ranger

The Aragorn

Go Karting With Bowser

I know, I'm forgetting a few.