If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Characters you wish were in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom

edited 2012-03-04 13:20:24 in Media
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Weirdly, I'm a lot more cool with the Capcom side than I am with the Marvel one.

See, with Marvel it's a personal preference thing. The obscure characters aren't the obscure characters I really want. Admittedly, I can't see anyone clamoring for freaking Nova in the game, so I just figured we should make a list of characters we wish were in UMVC3

Megaman: Seriously, why isn't he here? There's no excuse for this.

Leon Kennedy: He's more interesting than Chris and archetypically having both Chris and Captain America in a game kind of feels redundant, though that might have been the point. Still, Leon would have been a more fun with his poke-y knife and sarcasm.

Elsa Bloodstone: It has Rocket Racoon so I'm going to say no character is more obscure and I freaking love monster hunter Elsa Bloodstone. She was redefined as a disaffected, conflicted woman who hates her life but loves what she does. She could provide for a lot of cool 'hidden weapon' tricks. Oh, and you could probably have Morrigan say interesting things to her as well.

The Punisher: Honestly, I was surprised he never made the roster. He's got great multi-target appeal and he's another character that would have been a great opportunity for unique gameplay features (DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA)

ShadowCat/Nightcrawler: I'm just using them as one because I think both their gameplay styles would focus a lot on misdirection and acrobatics. It'd be cool. And Shadowcat could summon Lockheed!

Comments

• edited 2012-02-18 12:12:27

Quick Man.

He is my favorite robot master who isn't Shadow Man.

Also Billy Coen. 

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-02-18 12:33:32
    I miss me my Jin.

Let's see. I think Namor would've caught my interest. Howard the Duck I would find funny to play as.

And I definitely wanted Gene in there.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Megaman: Seriously, why isn't he here? There's no excuse for this.

Mostly as a big middle finger to Kenji Inafune.

• What happened with Kenji Inafune?

• edited 2012-02-18 13:12:08
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

He basically ragequit Capcom because he was dissatisfied with its policies. A lot of people think that had something to do with Megaman not being in MvC3.

• One would think that they would exclude Zero since he is Inafune's favorite.
  • MVC3 was probably in development when Inafune was still around. UMVC3 on the other hand, came right off the heels of his departure.

• Okay.... back on topic (Heh, on this board?)

A Power Stone rep would have been pretty cool.
  • edited 2012-02-18 14:01:33

Marvel Characters:

Captain Marvel

Silver Surfer

Venom

Galactus

Warlock

Hellstrom

Thor

Capcom:

Megaman

Bison

Captain Commando

• Kichigai birthday!!

I'm going to look like an idiot, but every time I look at the TvC roster, I always think Chargeman Ken would be the perfect joke character.

Too bad Tatsunoko didn't make Chargeman Ken!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh, and I have no idea why they chose Trish instead of Lady for the DMC girl.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I read "Chargeman" as "Charlemagne" and couldn't find it in myself to disagree, despite the guy having nothing to do with either. 

>Thor

Um, he's already in the game.

• edited 2012-02-18 14:09:44
    Has friends besides tanks now

Captain Marvel

Silver Surfer

Venom

Galactus

Warlock

Hellstrom

Thor

Thor and Galactus are already in it; Galactus is just a boss character, though. And I don't know if I'd want Venom in the same game as Spider-Man; I feel like their play styles might be too similar, just with Venom being bulkier. For a Spidey villain, I think Doc Ock would be more fun to play as/against.

Oh, and I have no idea why they chose Trish instead of Lady for the DMC girl.

I don't know who Lady is, but Trish is pretty awesome, at least in this game.

• -checks- Oh. So he is. Silly me.

• Has friends besides tanks now

He's not that good, though; for some reason, they decided to make him reliant on throws and give him terrible mobility/reach.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-02-18 14:18:26
    I'll never understand why he can't throw his hammer. Despite that being one of his trademark attacks.

I approve of the suggestion of the mighty Bison.

I've got nothing against Trish, but she never got a scene this cool.

I agree that Doc Ock or Green Goblin would make a cool fighter though Gobby might be a bit too much like Doom playstyle-wise.

Also, I'm surprised at how much attention Doctor Strange has gotten. Doctor Strange? Awesome. Dormammu? Um, ok sure. SHUMA FUCKING GORATH? 

• I'm more surprised Shuma was included in the earlier games before those two.

Yeah, I don't even think Strange was in MvC 2.

• Has friends besides tanks now

From the Marvel vs. Capcom wiki:

It is known that during discussions to determine what characters would be in the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster, Capcom readily conceded to any refusals made for certain characters by Marvel, such as Venom. However, when Marvel refused the inclusion of Shuma-Gorath, Capcom vehemently protested, demanding that they be allowed to include him. After unusually constant and intense demand from Capcom, Marvel conceded and allowed Shuma-Gorath to be included in the roster, but only as DLC.

Also:

Morrigan's above quote is a reference to the stereotypical, and infamous, tentacle fetish that originates from Japan. This is a humorous explanation for many in the MvC fanbase as to why Capcom added Shuma-Gorath into the MvC series, due to him appearing so infrequently in the comics, and Capcom being a company centered in Japan.

It's just kind of weird that we have him but not, you know, Doc Ock or Nick Fury or Morbius or something.

Also, why do I suck with Spidey. ;_;

• You can change. You can.

he just appeals to Japan's love for weird. 

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-02-18 14:54:42
    I learned yesterday that playing online is a frustrating experience. And yet I crave more. ;_;

^^ Because reverse Dragon Punch motions are a bitch to pull off.
  • edited 2012-02-18 14:45:54

^^^ What sorts of characters do you work best with? I prefer rushdown characters like Vergil and X-23, so Spidey worked okay for me, while I used him, but I find Doctor Strange too awkward to use out of the box, and I don't know him well enough to put in the extra time necessary to learn his style better.

So far, my favorites have been Vergil, X-23, and Trish, but that's not really the most balanced team. Maybe I'll toss Cap'n America in there somewhere.

^^ More like their love of tentacles. I guess so.

^ I don't know if I would actually play online, myself. I'm not good enough that I don't often resort to spamming my way through the Galactus fight. And I still have to do that fight on Easy mode because Galactus is ridiculous.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-02-18 14:51:37
    Regardless if whether I'm good enough or not, I prefer playing against real people as opposed to the computer. And I like to think I learn something from my losses.

And I keep forgetting Kl'rt has a command grab.

• edited 2012-02-18 14:52:46
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^According to the intertubes mastering the hyperjump actually makes the boss cake but I haven't yet on account of having the game for somewhat less than 24 hours so far.

As for Spidey I don't know why. I guess he's just somewhat awkward for me. I'm pretty good with Strange though.

• edited 2012-02-18 15:08:49

I haven't been able to master it, either, but after the first few fights I figured Galactus out and don't generally lose the first fight unless I'm running a shit character; I got better at blocking, I've learned the range of his moves, and I've learned to keep better track of my characters' health.

• Yeah, Galactus isn't that bad once you figure him out.
  • edited 2012-02-18 15:54:35

Although it's tough if you're running, say, Super Skrull and Hsien Ko at the same time, since the former is really too easy to counter/lock into his multi-hit combo, and the latter is just plain terrible. >.>