If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Valentine's Day

Comments

• a little muffled

• > People spending more effort bitching about being alone than going out to rectify this

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Presuming posting on the internet takes effort

>Assuming people aren't trying to rectify it

• Has friends besides tanks now

>implying it's not too late to start something up with a classmate
    >implying I'll just go wherever, looking for dates especially when I have an RPG to play

• >implying people who wangst about not having a valentine's do not need to fix a multitude of issues before even considering looking for a date

Admittedly, I like some of the ideas behind Valentine's day (the whole cutesy card thing appeals, honestly) but a point on the calendar commanding you to be romantic... eh.

• I like to print and hand this out on V-Day.

• edited 2012-02-13 19:39:57
    Has friends besides tanks now

>implying people who wangst about not having a valentine's

>wangst
    >implying people aren't allowed to treat romance (or lack thereof) as a serious concern

do not need to fix a multitude of issues before even considering looking for a date

Okay, that, I'll grant (although I'll have you know that I chatted with a cute coworker for a good half hour today without making a fool of myself. >:[). But unlike a fair number of people, I actually plan to set up an appointment with a therapist/psychiatrist/counselor/whatever now that swim season's a week from ending.

• law of silence

I don't hate Valentine's Day, because it a gives me a reason to listen to this all day ♥

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

> needing an excuse to listen to anything

> needing an excuse to  do anything for that matter

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-02-13 21:19:55

Except you can listen to that any other day of the year.

In other news, this thread will probably reach a fever pitch by tomorrow.

• law of silence

That's true (listening to it right now), but since it's called "Valentine Day Kiss"~ OK, I'll shut up about that.

Anyway, I don't hate Valentine's Day...I would say that I don't like how commercialized it is, but my favourite holiday is Christmas, and that's absolutely commercialized to death, so...

• Christmas, at least to me, is more widely accepted because it's not strictly a romantic thing. It can be that, but the core idea is the gathering of friends and family. 

That, and the presents tend to be better than cheapass candies, but I jest about that. Mostly. :P

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

A holiday about friends and family can hurt people as much as a holiday about romance.

Valentine's Day kind of gives everyone the idea that you should be in a romance, though.

But then, Valentine's Day isn't very commercialized at all where I live. I haven't even seen any Valentine's Day cards for sale.

If anything, I was more depressed at Christmas time than I will be tomorrow. Then again, my being upset at Christmas time had nothing to do with it being Christmas, and my good spirits tomorrow will probably be more a holdover of my feelings regarding possible college acceptance and scholarship offers than anything.

My problem with Valentine's Day is the part where it tacitly shames people who aren't in relationships and shoves romance in your face, though.

Christmas time kind of sucks really badly for those people who don't have very good families. There's a reason there's a high suicide rate on Christmas, after all.

. . . My last post probably sounded more bitter and butthurt than I intended it to.

• edited 2012-02-13 21:36:29
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I hate to be that guy, but...

I mean, Christmas is hardly perfect and it has issues in practice but I feel the sentiments behind it are more agreeable than Valentine's.

Honestly until this thread was made, I don't think I was even thinking that much about Valentine's day beyond passing the Valentines section, seeing the Thor valentines and thinking they should be called Vallhallentines

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

If you're gonna be angsty about Valentines day you may as well have the right music for it:

• edited 2012-02-13 21:44:08
    Loser

I choo choo choose you

Anyway, to kind of answer MrW's question, I think the complaining about Valentine's Day either for being (a) over-commercialized or (b) reminding people of how lonely they are can be a bit annoying. I view the holiday somewhat similarly to something like Mother's Day or Veterans Day in that if you are not in a relationship, Valentine's Day is not really for you, so you need not get worried about such things.

Maybe I am being a bit insensitive though, I am not really sure. I guess my bias probably plays into this too.

I hate to be that guy, but...

Psht, I got my times wrong.

It's the period just after Christmas, at least according to this study and research I only half-remember from last year.

I'm not quite sure why, but I've seen people theorizing it's because of the loss of the emotional support people have over the Christmas period.

Honestly, I think it's unfair to look at a single person upset at a holiday pushing relationship values and automatically assume they're a maladjusted freak who can't get a girlfriend. I can see how the obnoxious elements get annoying, but it doesn't automatically mean they have no good points.

• I don't like Valentine's Day because I don't know how to be happy about it without being obnoxious.

And also because my girlfriend's mom's birthday is Valentine's day so it doesn't really matter. XD

You know, back a few years ago, I remember this exchange I had with the at-the-time GF

"So... uh... you want to do something for Valentine's day?"

"Not really. I don't really like Valentine's day."

"Great! Neither do I! Want to finish Justice League Unlimited?"

"Sounds wonderful." 

• ^XD That's awesome.

• edited 2012-02-13 21:57:56

Yeah, it's a highly constructed holiday that mostly is just a big commercialization of emotions that, if you have a significant other, you shouldn't need a certain special day for anyway! For single people, it's just depressing or annoying. The whole thing is aesthetically displeasing to me, too much red and pink. (In case you can't tell, I prefer green...) And even for me, with a girlfriend, it was awkward because in some ways we still don't know each other that well, and we were both busy and there's no good gifts to be bought in person at the last minute without going into the city, which there was no time for. And as I said, she's not really into much of anything. Even, as it now turns out, chocolate. We agreed to just get each other cards and no gifts, thus defying my mom's original insistence, as well I think I should at this point in my life.

Also, a girl committed suicide...right before Valentine's I think it was. Last year, at my school. The only suicide to happen in my time there so far, and one of the few student deaths ever in recent years. She was only a freshman and had been dating my friend Simon for a matter of weeks. So you can imagine how he felt. (Though he got over it and found a girlfriend pretty quickly. And everyone was united in grief around that time anyway, it's not like the whole community ignored it.)

• You can change. You can.

@Malk: Cute. 

The thing that bothers me about Valentine's Day is that it forces so many attitudes on people about romance and the way they deal with their relationships. I mean, if a couple is not grand on gestures, then they're still expected to do something on valentine's day. Seems to me like a somewhat forced way of doing things, not to mention that it's really commercialized and all of the merchandise for it comes off as painfully insincere. 

All in all, it's a holiday that pretty much doesn't deserve to be a holiday, but it is what it is, and I ain't gonna pull any hairs over it, regardless of how much it bothers me

The good thing is, we don't actually celebrate that shit until september, although Bilingual Schools do so because of the whole "Explaining USA culture to people" thing

I think we should celebrate Valentine's day the traditional way. By executing those who consumate Christian weddings.

• You can change. You can.

but i wanna make love, not murder

When I can't have the former, I settle for the latter.