If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM II's One Year Anniversary

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    I thought about him being a sockpuppet, but he didn't rant about Lagann, so no. 

Unless he learned some self restraint.

Which is as likely as the world ending on this december.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    No, that's just supposed to be the long count calendar advancing its biggest digit or something.
  • Which is as likely as the world ending on this december.
    You mean just a few idiots actually believe it will happen, but we'll have to hear constant jokes about it from other people anyway long past the point where it's gotten old?
    I never referred to the Mayans. You're the ones filling the gap with your pet theories! 
  • edited 2012-01-08 22:55:03

"Yeah, that was actually the only post I'd seen Yeah Bro make that I didn't think needed a thump."

I don't see why thumping is necessary to the extent TV Tropes uses it, as at that point, it is essentially censorship.

As for Beyond the Lampshade, I signed up on the basis of critiquing the wiki itself and seeing what other people had to say about it. I wouldn't have a problem with the site being a lousy resource for analysing fiction and instead being a wanking ground for people's favourite shows if people didn't claim so smugly that it was the former. But in all honesty, the fact that the moderation attempts to shield the forumites from even the smallest bit of calumny and consternation has been reiterated a thousand times already, so that doesn't interest me as much.

• I don't really have an issue with sites being dedicated to discussing problems and potential solutions to TVTropes itself.

But the section with threads dedicated to specific users strikes me as really creepy and e-stalkerish.
  • Elbeem - It's not really e-stalking. It's based on stuff they've posted in a public forum and a lot of it has already been quoted elsewhere (e.g. on Something Awful) anyway. That might show that there's really nothing new to say on the subject, which is a different criticism.
    Yeah, calling it stalking seems kinda silly when there's a function to search for post history, for starters.
  • edited 2012-01-09 10:22:08
    @captainbrass: That fits exactly into my definition of e-stalking: Combing through every single one of a person's posts in an obsessive manner. If I, say, took a female IJBM II member and searched her entire post history here, on TVTropes, and wherever else I could find them to repost on a third party site for the enjoyment of like minded individuals, that wouldn't strike you as stalkerish at all?

Whether or not that qualifies, though, it's still definitely creepy. Why a group of people who are theoretically pro-maturity and anti-creepiness would dedicate so much of their time to something like this is beyond me.
    That's kinda like saying that you're stalking someone because you follow them on twitter, tumblr and facebook and like to read their updates, twits and reblogs.
  • Eh, that's reaching a bit. On one hand you've got someone who reads the posts that are automatically updated on a medium that is specifically designed to automatically broadcast all the posts they make to those who are subscribed to them.

On the other hand you've got people who are going out of their way to pick through forum posts in order to find something particularly mock-worthy to disseminate to a third party website, where a group of people can trash said person behind their back to their hearts content.

Not only that, but you've got a thread where people can actually solicit for others to go out and post-stalk people you don't like, with the express intent of making individual threads about the targets for mockery.

It comes across as really skeevy from my perspective.
  • Well, you can argue about the morality of mocking people behind their back, but I don't think this is a case of picking through posts in order to find stuff that can be mocked. That implies the people concerned are uncontroversial, low-profile posters. Most of them have left a lot of hostages to fortune by saying a lot of controversial stuff. Everyone's bound to say stupid or outrageous things occasionally, but if you do it a lot, publicly, you're bound to get criticised for it.

And to prove that I'm consistent, anyone who wants to start a thread on Beyond The Lampshade or Something Awful or wherever on "Captainbrass: What a jerk" and quote from my posts is welcome to do it.

Same. I don't mind some mockery against me. Hell, I do it all the time, myself.

• edited 2012-01-09 13:05:37
    Loser

I am with Elbeem on this, mostly because I think it is inappropriate to talk behind people's backs like that. I also find reading or listening to people go on and on about how much they hate someone pretty annoying.

Sure, it is probably reasonable to criticize people for wrongful actions they commit, but once you start generalizing and talking about how someone must be a loser, neckbeard, coward, or whatever other term kids use these days, I think you cross the line. I mean, for the most part, critics seem to use forum posts as if they are the be-all and end-all of that troper's entire existence when they are usually just a small snipet of it.

Even when tropers have said rather inexcusable stuff, I wonder what the point of complaining more about it is, especially when a decent number of those tropers have gotten banned anyway.

Yeah, I do not necessarily care if people mock me either (though that would be a collosal waste of time), but I cannot support a site that encourages the kind of pointless, malicious complaining about people you dislike that Beyond the Lampshade does.

I also find reading or listening to people go on and on about how much they hate someone pretty annoying.

Sure, it is probably reasonable to criticize people for wrongful actions they commit, but once you start generalizing and talking about how someone must be a loser, neckbeard, coward, or whatever other term kids use these days, I think you cross the line.

This.  I like it when criticisms are meaningful and reasonable and stick to the facts.  I don't like using criticism as a tool to establish someone else's inferiority.

• GMH - Well, to my mind, if you're quoting someone's own words and saying "I think this attitude sucks because X" you are sticking to the facts, even if "X" is "because it shows John is sexist/racist/whatever". It's fair enough to say "attack the action/belief, not the person", but after a certain point they become inseparable. If you say racist things enough, for example, what are you but a racist?

Admittedly, it is very easy to cross the line into mindless abuse, but IIRC the rules of these threads on Beyond The Lampshade aren't supposed to allow that. And I appreciate that this forum has a rule against personal attacks, and I wouldn't go against that here.

I have no problem with "John is a racist; read these posts: [link] [link] [link]"; what I have a problem with is the notion that because John is a racist, it's then okay to call him a kiddy-fiddling neckbeard racist who faps to Sonichu.  If you want to call him a kiddy-fiddling neckbeard racist who faps to Sonichu, you'd better also back up the kiddy-fiddling, neckbeard, and faps to Sonichu parts.

• GMH - Well, we agree in that case. I don't think that because you have proof of one thing means you can attack someone for anything. And I don't think that's what's happening here.

To mention the specific case of someone who isn't and has never been a member here, the Tongpu thread was along the lines of "This guy appears to be either a nihilistic sociopath or someone who really wants to be one". Plenty of evidence for that in his posts. I don't recall anyone also calling him a kiddy-fiddler, neckbeard or racist, because of lack of evidence about his views on paedophilia or race or his facial hair status.

• I didn't mean for this derail to go so long. Since Beyond The Lampshade was brought up and it was the first I heard about it, I just thought to give my opinion after an initial read.

I still find the obsessiveness about individual users creepy, and don't agree with the justifications for it that were listed here. But we can agree to disagree on that.

• ...does anybody else remember "One For Every Hour"?

• Who here doesn't remember it?

• Has friends besides tanks now

That might have been before my time.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What was that?

Sounds familiar...I've at least seen references to it.

• BobBob
    edited 2012-01-09 20:35:58

I still get confused when I see old threads I was sure I posted in only to see them unposted in by me.

Also INUH get out. You and Eva can make out together in n00bland.

-gets out-
    -immediately gets back in- 

• It feels weird remembering things from the first couple of months, for some reason. Maybe because when people think of this place they think of drama. Which is too bad, because that's over now.

• edited 2012-01-09 20:45:47
    Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, gosh. That's one bandwagon I totally want to have been around for.

I think it would have been better if people only made the joke once per hour, though. Would've made more sense.