If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM II's One Year Anniversary

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    They grow rather fast, though. Although they're losing the degree of activity they used to have and are probably either going to burn out soon or just remain slow for quite a while.

This site is pretty much the go-to place for banned tropers (less so now), but I don't think banned tropers actually ever made a considerable portion of our userbase (and I like to keep track of these things).

It made a certainly vocal part of it, though. 
  • I was going how few of them were vocal beyond their introductions/ban announcements, then I remembered you-know-who and crap, you're right.
  • edited 2012-01-08 10:29:40
    Loser
    Abyss_Worm,
    A lot of times, political arguments get tiring simply because people keep bringing up points refuted a thousand times and insist on stubbornly defending them.

This is more or less why I do not care for online political or religious debates.

As for what you said about different topics. I would be glad to hear people talk about stuff I might not know about. Sometimes I feel like those kinds of threads are some of the most interesting ones. Of course, I think not knowing about those subjects makes it more difficult to post in those threads so it might seem like one does not care about them.

In respect to sports, I certainly have plenty of stuff to complain about with them, so if you are up for it, I could definitely make some threads about random sports related things. If you ever want to learn more, I could totally go for a IJBM fantasy sports league, but I doubt many other people would be interested in doing that.

Stormtroper,
    This site is pretty much the go-to place for banned tropers (less so now), but I don't think banned tropers actually ever made a considerable portion of our userbase (and I like to keep track of these things).

You are probably right about that, but I think that at least at its start, it seemed like a good number of IJBMers had been banned at least once on TVTropes. I mean, I felt like sooner or later every IJBMer was going to banned from there at some point. That old "I Was Banned From TV Tropes" thread also seemed to update decently frequently, which plays into what Juan_Carlos said.

Anonus,

Thanks for mentioning that Beyond the Lampshade site. I cannot say I care for how spiteful or petty that site seems to be (I would almost consider it IJBM's evil counterpart from what I have seen so far), but I suppose it is good to know it exists and I find it interesting at least.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "They just got started, so they're probably smaller than this place."

I think we've had a larger number of accounts than they've ever had, but I think the number of regulars on either forum is about equal, with maybe more in our case.

Anyway, this looks like my kind of site. I'm not sure how much I would be able to contribute to its central mission, but I can definitely get behind some of the conversations.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I'd join that site but I don't think I'd really have anything to post on it
    blah blah blah bitching about it being fucking dumb and shit blah blah blah
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > If you ever want to learn more, I could totally go for a IJBM fantasy
    sports league, but I doubt many other people would be interested in
    doing that.

You should go ahead and do that, maybe ask about interest first if you have to commit any resources to it (such as setting up an account somewhere or something).
  • edited 2012-01-08 12:41:25
    Has friends besides tanks now
    >IJBM fantasy sports league

I've been developing a passing interest in sports lately, but for now I'd have to just watch from the bench, so to speak, since I haven't seen that many games.
  • I might be able to get involved in sports threads, but I can see there being a problem for non-US/Canadian IJBMers if they're all about baseball, American football and/or ice hockey, and vice-versa if they're about soccer.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The only sport I really know anything about is American football, and even that is only a little bit and secondhand from overhearing my dad yelling at the tv in the other room.

Could be interesting, though.
    ...um, can the banner be less...pink and not fitting at all?
    Well, actually, that's fitting because it's now bugging you.

Gimme a moment, lemme try using the original color scheme but with the new elements.
  • edited 2012-01-08 15:17:51
    No rainbow star
    Only sport I like is hockey
  • edited 2012-01-08 16:44:36
    Loser
    I think the easiest way to make a fantasy sports league would be to set it up through a site like Yahoo, ESPN, or one of the major sports sites. That would require those interested to have accounts on whatever site we picked (Yahoo is the easiest to use in my experience).

It might be a bit late to start a hockey or basketball league at this point and the upcoming baseball season is going to be pretty long, but one thing we could do which would be pretty simple would be a March Madness bracket league since all it would involve is picking teams. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in that IJBM March Madness fantasy league, feel free to PM me or post in this thread.

I guess it is probably worth noting that my fantasy sports experience is a bit limited too.

As for the new logo, I think you could really mess with people by making one or two of the bugs very subtly different from the rest (e.g. tilt one slightly or erase a tiny bit of one's legs or something). I would not recommend that, but it would be an interesting change from what are usually overly direct April Fools' jokes.
    For AFD we could use the TV Tropes logo.
  • I like that Beyond the Lampshade site, it's like the SA thread with much of the bullshit filtered out. Though I guess that means we're already familiar with most of it.

I won't be joining, though.
    /me looks at "serious business" subforum
    4 pages about rape/pedophilia/ephebophilia/etc.
    3 pages about moral arguments
    10 pages about morality of lolicon

Yeah, not my type of place.  Mostly because I'm almost never in the mood for long arguments about these sorts of topics.  They would fall in the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    For what it's worth, (Definitely Not) Anne Beeche has warmed my heart a little by sending MarkVonLewis a PM expressing concern over his alcoholism and saying that she and the rest of the site wished for him to get better.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    They would fall in the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

Made me grin.
    That's kinda like not joining to TvT's forum because of OTC.
  • edited 2012-01-08 21:59:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Okay, fine, I'll be honest, I don't like the premise.  I don't think that TVT is "no criticism, ever"/"hugboxy" as much as AB or various certain other people think it is; I think it's that you just have to word stuff carefully, and be ready to take some things off-site.  I feel that the premise of that forum is just kinda asking for drama.  I hope that it doesn't produce drama, but it's just...gonna be tense.  And noting that thread where people are changing their usernames just to avoid traceability to TVT...does not inspire confidence, that either drama isn't going to happen or this isn't going to be a site about sniping at TVT policies and trends.
  • "I don't think that TVT is "no criticism, ever" as much as AB thinks it is; I think it's that you just have to word stuff carefully, and be ready to take some things off-site."

I've seen perfectly innocuous posts outright censored. e.g.:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13081626230A50840100&page=2#30

You know what horrible thing Yeah Bro said? That he'd actually research the charity before jumping to conclusions.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Oh, yeah, I remember that.

Yeah, that was actually the only post I'd seen Yeah Bro make that I didn't  think needed a thump.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it's unreasonable to not join. The forum is this pretentious, quixotic idea that fixing TvT is even possible at this stage. They're happy with the way they are, for better and for worse. And going on and on about what's wrong with the site (Many things) rather than just creating your own place or finding a place in which you feel more comfortable seems like going to another kid's sandlot and destroy his castle just because you don't like it and want to make one that you like. 

I am registered there, of course (Under a pseudonym, too), but I definetly do not hope much for the place. I just definetly like discussing what's wrong with TvT because I find it a somewhat interesting topic, as I like learning from other people's mistakes and, just, you know, seeing whether sites and communities I like (Such as this one) can be improved by evading the moderation's many pratfalls.
  • edited 2012-01-08 22:14:47
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Oh, I'm just there for the bitching.

But the General Discussions area should provide good discussion, too.

^^ He seems all right over at Beyond the Lampshade, and I think I saw him on SA, too. What was he like at TVTropes?
  • edited 2012-01-08 22:17:54
    You can change. You can.
    Yeah Bro's the kind of person who's abrassive for the sake of being abrassive and because he honestly thinks that the only way for people to improve is this community of fear of mockery where people do things thinking only of what other internet denizens think.

ETA: I'd link to the specific post where he said this if I remembered
    Nah, having seen him occasionally in OTC, I doubt he's in it for improving people. I get the impression that he's just the sort of person who likes to look for a fight.
    Well, there's that, definetly, but who says you only need one motivation to do things?
    Fair enough :P
    That sounds kinda like GuitarBizarre, actually.  Proud of his abrasiveness and believing that other people should learn to deal with it.