If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Waltzy at preschool~

124»

Comments

• Ah, no worrys. They grow out of that a but later. Then again, my tolerance for kids is rather high.
  • ~OMG IT'S THE SUPER SPECIAL TUESDAY EDITION~

Today was a pretty rough day. It was my first day back this week after a nasty sudden case of stomach flu, and there were lots of crying kids and general "I want the Lightning McQueen car"-ing.

The boy that generally cry-screams whenever he has to share was doing a lot better today, and we played the game we usually do where we call each other cute names.

"You peanut!"

He jumped and did a pose. "YOU peanut!"

"You popcorn!"

"YOU popcorn!"

"You pumpkin!"

Pancake/Pudding/Pumpernickel/etc.

I also spent some time singing Christmas songs to the older kids. They like the "Batman smells" version best, because I replace "the Joker" with their names and they can't stop giggling~.

The day ended with some Goldfish bingo as I wiped down counters and swept around their adorable little feet, but the really exciting part was the director calling me into her office and offering me a paid position. My first official day is tomorrow! It's so so exciting to actually have my first job and have it being something I really love~.

So yeah sorry for the short update, the day was kinda a haze with the whole getting better from stomach flu and being OFFERED A JOB, OMG~. <3
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I also spent some time singing Christmas songs to the older kids. They like the "Batman smells" version best, because I replace "the Joker" with their names and they can't stop giggling~

I always knew you were a criminal mastermind behind that friendly gaze!

Seriously, though. The job thing is great. It's good to know you get to do something that makes you happy.
  • Hnngh~, I know~! It makes me so very happy, especially since I'm still going to be doing the same thing I was when I was just volunteering.

It's also kinda nice because the position opened up when the mean girl who used to boss me around and be frosty towards me took a job somewhere else. >_<;;
    Sounds like a win-win! Seriously, that's great.

(I need to get a job... >_>)
  • If only you lived here, then you could work at daycare with me. XD

But the kids have a thing for long hair. You'd have to be very careful. :'3
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    A thought just occurred to me: IJBM daycare centre.

Ye gods no/yes.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Depends. Are kids being taken care of or is it US? And who is the one taking care of the children/us?
  • edited 2011-12-14 01:25:17
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^And I just had a friend telling me I should move to the west coast. XD

As for the IJBM babysitting company. 

"No no kids, that's uncle Jerry's hent-'

"Oh wow, these look just like those girls on the internet... except there are not tentacles. Golly gee!"
  • You can change. You can.
    TMI, dude.

TMI. 
  • law of silence
    This thread gave me diabetes.
  • edited 2011-12-14 21:03:56
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    46001%20-%20caption%20hnng%20macro%20spike.jpg

On a related note, I'm considering applying for a job as a substitute at the daycare where my mom works, because according to her I can do that. And I need some income, because the theater where I usually work is closed until April.
    I'm working on getting a sub job but if I get it it would be teenagers... >_>
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The thing that's really holding me back is that I'm terrified that I'd break the children.
  • edited 2011-12-14 20:28:37
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I've noticed that babies seem drawn to me, for some reason; they'll just kinda stare at me and leave me confused as to how to respond. And younger kids seem amused by me, too. Aside from the ones who aren't raised properly, like the one who spanked Waltzy, my biggest difficulty with kids is that they confuse me, so I'd be terrible as a daycare worker. It seems to be the perfect job for Waltzy, though.
  • You can change. You can.
    I've noticed that babies seem drawn to me, for some reason; they'll just kinda stare at me and leave me confused as to how to respond.

oh hey, i hacked everest account and wrote on it.

huh, when did i learn how to hack.
  • ^ Babies stare at anyone who comes close enough, I think. Assuming it's not the baby of some random strangers in the street, my response would be something like - "Hello there. Whose a good boy/girl? Are you looking for your Mummy?" spoken in a stupid, baby-talk voice. This always seems to amuse.

They also seem to love anything shiny. The last time I saw my nephew (he was about 9 months old then), he was fascinated by my watch. Glasses may also have this effect. 

• ~Wednesday-Special BSOD Edition~

Wednesday I was working one of the two full days I'd agreed to cover for someone who was going to be out for the week. Everything was going well-I especially loved rubbing the kids' backs at naptime to help them sleep. It is the cutest thing when their little eyes drift shut.

Partway through naptime, the other teacher I was with took her break and left me in charge. After much shh-ing and back-rubbing and tucking in, the teacher in the next room poked her head in and asked if I could watch her kids. I agreed, and wandered between the two classrooms, keeping a close eye on everyone and making sure they stayed put. All was well. The teacher returned, but seemed surprised that I'd been by myself in the two classrooms.

About 20 minutes later, rubbing another kid's back, I heard her talking to another teacher about me, not very quietly.

"...and she was just in the two classrooms by herself. I just think it's weird that she wouldn't know not to do that-"

And just the way she said it, like she was awe-struck someone could be so stupid, totally twisted my stomach and before I knew it I was getting a little weepy. She hadn't said anything about it being bad when she'd returned, and if it's as big a deal as she was making it out to be, wouldn't she have been inclined to tell me?

I was aware of the teacher/student ratio we were advised to follow, and contemplating it, I began to feel like the dumbest girl in the world. These are people's little bundles of joy and if anything had happened, it would've been on me.

It soon came time for my break, where I made myself a cup of coffee and spilled a little sugar on the counter doing so with my really shaky hands. I turned towards the corner of the room, miserably avoiding eye contact with any of the other staff. At this point, I was worried I wasn't going to make it through the day. I felt so completely terrible. I tend to beat myself up over really minor things as is, and to me this was a pretty major thing. Back to that teacher/student ratio, I'd had it in mind when she asked me to watch her class, but I didn't know whether the rules were different for naptime, and since everyone there has either been working there longer than me, is older than me, had more experience with children than me, or some combination thereof, I was in the mindset where I kinda just do as I am told.

I went to the bathroom and cried a little until a kid came in to use the facilities and I quickly tried playing it off like I hadn't been crying. I didn't want to break down in front of all the other kids, so I went back to the class and told the other teacher I had a bad stomachache and that I was going to clock out early (very convincing, with all the tears).

Just my luck, it was raining like crazy and I had no umbrella and I was wearing ballet flats. I texted a friend from my former high school, two years my junior, who insisted I meet him when class finished up, and by the time I'd gotten there, just as school was getting out, I was completely drenched to the bone, my hair a complete mess and bangs plastered to my forehead. He hugged me and insisted I come inside to join him for anime club and let me get warm with his coat, since they were going to vote on a Miyazaki movie to watch that day. He took very good care of me and gave me lots of cuddles and love until I felt somewhat better about the whole thing.

He and his mom gave me a ride home after, and a few minutes after getting in the door, I got a call. Work.

It was my boss, and she is quite possibly the sweetest woman on the planet. She'd wanted to ask how I was holding up, and she's so approachable and kind that I told her everything right then.

And wouldn't you know it, it turns out that there's actually nothing wrong with me watching two classrooms for a little while. She assured me that I hadn't done anything wrong and that she totally understood me leaving early, and that the teacher that had been talking about me had been saying that she was also really worried for me and that she hopes I come back soon because "she's so sweet/great with the kids/so hard-working/etc." and it kinda softened the impact of the whole talking not-so-behind-my-back thing.

I felt really silly after all was said and done. I was meaning to go back to work the next day, but I threw up that morning. It wasn't so much of a sick-throw-up than a stressed-out-throw-up, since my stomach had tied itself in knots over this whole thing and I kinda worried myself into it. ~///////~;; All in all I was just glad that I'd never gone against procedure with the kids and that I'd kept them safe as best I could. I came back today and the children dogpiled me within minutes.<3
  • No rainbow star
    You could make am angry bear stop and give you huggles, Waltzy ;~;
  • Well, given that you're the most junior person there, I think responsibility for anything going wrong would have rested more on the more senior people who put you in that position.

Anyway, I wouldn't get stressed out about it. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when they're fairly new to the job. My first adult job was as a trainee in the litigation department of a law firm, and I'm still embarrassed by some of the things I did there. If this is possible, it might be a good idea to check with your boss when you're not sure about something you're asked to do in future. Helping you learn the ropes is part of her job.

• Yeah, ideally I would've been able to ask, but my boss was on break somewhere too anyway and even if she weren't, going and asking would've meant leaving two whole classrooms alone, so I had to play by ear.

I'm just glad what I did wasn't against the rules or anything and that it was okay for them to trust me with two classes, or I'd have felt far more terrible than I did. >////<;;;
  • They're somethin' else.
    I need some goddamn insulin >/////<