If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vampire: The Masquerade- Providence signups

edited 2011-10-26 15:20:07 in Roleplaying
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
Welcome to the city of Providence, Rhode Island. Human population: just over 1,600,000

Vampire population: Just below 400.

'Other' populatoion: Unknown.

Providence, Rhode Island was once an Industrial hub of the East Coast, which attracted the humans' natural predator: the vampire. 

Learned later is that not only Providence a hub of human activity, it is one of the biggest spiritual hotspots in America. No one's quite sure what sure what's up with Providence, and there are some vampires that have been studying the place for awhile. One even having rapport with a sickly medium who channeled his maddening dreams into horror stories. As a result, kindred of the Providence nights have a bit more of a challenge keeping the masquerade intact. Prince Hans De Wit has been known for his swift decisions in keeping things and events quiet, though he has a 'if all else fails throw neonates at it' attitude.

Just outside of Providence is the small town of Arkham housing both an asylum and the controversial Miskatonic University where Tremere Primogen Autolycus Bainbridge teaches nights, and a short drive will take you to a number of port towns, including the decrepit Innsmouth, both of which may or may not be fictional places I brought into this game because I like them.

Some simple rules:

If I haven't heard of it, you can't play/have it: Don't worry. This actually grants you a lot of wiggle room, since I probably know the game better than anyone one this board.

Character sheets need to be approved be me: PM me before posting them here.

Banned Clans: Ravnos, True Brujah, Baali

Probationary Clans (i.e. you better have a damn good story for them): Tremere, Kiyasid, Gargoyle

If you are unfamiliar with the system, I can make a character for you.

So who's up for playing bloodsucking fiends fighting against cosmic monstrosities?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Sweet.

Character's 99% done. Just trying to iron out a few details and figure out the most concise ways to express my ideas for his Nature and Demeanor.
  • Hmmm... Can I put myself in as a "maybe"?  I'm not sure if I'll have the time, but, um, I'd like to try at least...

...No prizes for guessing what bloodline I'd be playing, though. >.>
  • edited 2011-10-26 15:48:03
    But you never had any to begin with.
    ^ Ventrue?

And I'll come up with something, once I've reacquired the rules. Otherwise I'll just confuse myself.
    Question.

If we took the Generation background (I thought it would be funny for the guy who doesn't believe in vamps to be a somewhat higher-generation one), and therefore have a larger maximum Blood Pool, do you still roll a d10 to determine starting blood?
  • edited 2011-10-26 15:54:59
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^Yep

^^^INUH's already playing a Malk and while I'm not against more than one of a clan, I would encourage diversity.
  • edited 2011-10-26 15:56:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ah, gotcha.
  • edited 2011-10-26 17:23:56
    Mark Reynolds
    Nature: Enigma
    Demeanor: Soldier
    Concept: Distrusting private investigator
    Clan: Malkavian
    Generation: Ninth
    Sire: "The Old Bitch" (more details in backstory session)

Attributes
    Strength •• Charisma •• Perception ••••
    Dexterity •••• Manipulation ••• Intelligence •••
    Stamina •• Appearance Wits •••

Abilities
    Talents Skills Knowledges

Awareness •• Drive Academics ••
    Brawl Firearms ••• Computer ••
    Streetwise Larceny ••• Investigation •••
    Subterfuge Stealth ••• Law
    Medicine ••
    Politics ••
    Technology

Disciplines
    Obfuscate ••••

Backgrounds
    Generation ••••
    Influence ••
    Resources

Virtues
    Conscience ••
    Self-Control ••••
    Courage ••••

Humanity •••••••
    Willpower ••••••

Blood Pool
    ♥♥♥♥♥○○○○○
    ○○○○

(Backstory in next post because I'm not sure where I am character-limit-wise and it'll probably take awhile to type up)
  • You can change. You can.
    I'd be up for you creating a character for me, if you don't mind.
  • edited 2011-10-26 16:54:33
    Mark Reynolds - Backstory (tentative and incomplete; comments and suggestions welcome)

Mark Reynolds, in life, was a private investigator. Over the course of years of digging into people's dirty secrets, he became gradually less able to trust people.

At the age of 35, he discovered a scandal involving a local politician. (again, I'm unsure of the details; suggestions are welcome) Unfortunately, said politician was rather unhappy about this, and managed to pull some strings and have Mark placed in the local asylum.

Fortunately or unfortunately, his stay was short-lived. A local Malkavian decided, for reasons known only to her, if that, to break him out and Embrace him. She then carried him to a local Camarilla meeting and was just about to explain what the hell was going on when she got distracted and wandered off.

Since then, Mark has been working for the Camarilla, more out of necessity than out of any sense of loyalty.

To this day, he refuses to admit that he (or anyone else) is a vampire, preferring any number of far-out theories to the truth staring him in the face.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^Sounds good, but nature and demeanor are wrong. There's a list of pre-set terms for you to choose in the book. Stuff like 'penitent' and 'rogue' The list should be in the character creation section.

^^I need a concept! Or do you want to play jew diamond thief Jerry? =P
    Ah, gotcha. I thought it was more freeform, like concept was. Looking through that now.
  • No rainbow star
    Could you make me a character Malk?

If at all possible, could I play one that is a thief, perhaps a homely but not so ugly that they cause people to scream and run away. More of a guy who blends in
  • edited 2011-10-26 17:25:51
    Right, fixed nature and demeanor.

Any comments/suggestions on the backstory?
  • $80+ per session
    Give me one night to make a character please. I'll have my sheet PM'd to you tomorrow.
    Well, this is New England so incestuous political oligarchies are par for the course. If you want to tie that into something horror-esque or mystical, be my guest. It might also tie into your belief in the machine conspiracy.
    Hmmm...I was actually thinking it'd be a bit more mundane...at least, as far as Mark knows. The idea behind the two dots of influence was that there are a few politicians he could call up, make vague references to incidents they'd rather keep quiet, then list off some demands.
    Wait, it just occurred to me: how are possessions handled, exactly? I know it's related to Resources.
    There's wiggle room. Basically, if you can have reasonably owned it with your resources you can say you have it.

Like you could have a small apartment and some weapons, but probably not a car.
    Okay, that works.
  • This is interesting. Is there a rules PDF somewhere, or would we need to have the books?

(Not sure if I can commit or not depending on your play schedule, but I would like to look into further.)
    ^^I need a concept! Or do you want to play jew diamond thief Jerry? =P

NOT A BAD IDEA AT ALL, MY GOOD SIR

but really...um...erm...hmmmm...huh...hurm...

Lemme look into the setting and see what I can come up with.
    ^^/rs/ should have access to the rulebooks
    guh, I've been getting a lot of work recently due to the bad grades at the beginning of the semester and me needing to compesnsate, so sorry
    @Elbeem: If you want a link to a direct download for the rules, I can PM you one.

@Juan: I know that feel...I'm actually planning on just leaving college, since it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do what I'm here for anyway.
    wait wait wait

i thought you had left your uni already
  • edited 2011-10-27 15:44:09
    Wanted to. Parents...disagreed. And at the time, I was planning on enrolling in another one. Now...not so much.

Going to try to talk them into it by the time I'm home next.

Er...sorry to derail.
    It's cool. Ica, could you think up a genuine character past, name, personality, fighting style, etc.? Your description is kind of vague and it'd be easy to make a character that doesn't fit you if you aren't specific.
    Bump?
    Yeah, interest seems to have disappeared as you've the only one yet to bring a character forth.

I'll keep bumping every few days though until it gets too annoying.
    This always happens when I'm in an RPG group starting up...though usually it happens after the game starts :/