If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I always have trouble with the timing on parries, but when I get it right, it's worth it.

Apparently, you can beat the final boss of Dark Souls bare-handed by parrying his attacks and riposting with a punch. The wiki article that said this had a footnote for this fact that, rather than a citation or tip or something, just said "totally badass."

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Also, can you recommend me some good armour and tell me where to find it? I really, really, really need a better Physical Defence.

I mostly focused on weapons when I was playing. I didn't get that much farther than you. I just played my roommate's copy for a bit, then preordered Dark Souls and played that when it came out.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

:<

If you teleport to the Knight's Tower Archstone, or whatever it's called, if you turn around, it's possible to sneak up on a Blue-Eyed Knight.You can backstab him. If you have good damage, you can potentially kill him before he can respond, or else it's not hard to kill him from there.

Once you have done that, there is another Blue-Eyed Knight just a bit further up. You can backstab him, then roll backwards to avoid the three crossbowmen and run away until the Knight retreats. You can then backstab him again, then kill the three crossbowmen.

You net a bit over 900 souls doing this, as well as 2 Half-Moon Grass or 2 Last-Moon Grass (There is a much higher chance of nabbing the first).

This is a good way to get enough souls to buy the Hardstone Shards or the Sharpstone Shards from World 2-1, right at the start. You can upgrade your weapons and shields to fairly decent levels doing this.

Okay, killed Vanguard.

Really? Not taking the shortcut?

There was a shortcut?

Also, I have no bow, so those things flying around are really annoying :|

It's what I described in my walkthrough thing.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

There's a bow in 4-1. You need to explore a side path in the wall's tower/battlement sort of place. I can't remember where it is, exactly, but it's not past the wall in the conventional sense; you have to take the left into the wall and explore that way.

Which is the way to the shortcut that skips most of the level anyway.

Well, I did what you suggested.

Both Red-Eyed Skeleton and the Adjucator died without me dying~

There's a bow in 4-1. You need to explore a side path in the wall's tower/battlement sort of place. I can't remember where it is, exactly, but it's not past the wall in the conventional sense; you have to take the left into the wall and explore that way.

Yeah, I got it while exploring earlier.

-gives a high-five-

Now buy a bunch of arrows and kill death over and over again.

And it bears repeating: his reaction is hilarious.

Less than 5,000 souls?

I am disappointed :(

• edited 2012-03-14 22:24:22
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

But you can then roll off the cliff and respawn maybe ten seconds from the archery point, then grab your bloodstain.

As such, the grinding rate is the second-highest in the game, IIRC.

• edited 2012-03-14 22:26:31
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And I have found that simply shield-blocking the Skeletons is a way to kill them while taking no damage yourself. Even their vertical slash that knocks off pretty much all your stamina gives you just enough time to put your shield in front of you again. His follow-up lunge then knocks him off-balance if you are shielding, meaning you have time to do a power attack.

This only works if your shield is tough enough to reduce all damage taken though.

• edited 2012-03-14 22:30:55

Some of the ones later in 4-2 can be tricked into diving off cliffs.

If you play Dark Souls later, remember skeletons and cliffs. That strategy shows up again and is pretty much the only way to get through a certain area.

I doubt I will play Dark Souls. Demon's Souls is frustrating enough.

Dark souls is much more fair; that's one of the reasons I always recommend it over its predecessor.

• edited 2012-03-14 22:32:42

According to my friend who's played both, Dark Souls is a lot easier.  That, or he just got better at it.

In any case, Dark Souls apparently changes a few things to make the game more accessible, if nothing else.

EDIT: Ninjad 

• edited 2012-03-14 22:34:10
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

I hope you've been upgrading endurance and vitality. 

If you play Dark Souls later, remember skeletons and cliffs. That strategy shows up again and is pretty much the only way to get through a certain area.

Ignore faith weapons at your own peril. They're good in Dark Souls, and awesome in Demon's Souls for the regen. The only disadvantage is that the ores you need to get for their upgrades are found in World 5. 

• edited 2012-03-14 22:33:19

^^Dammit, I ninja'd you so you bumped my post off the page :c

A few things it does to make things easier include making the world open, having checkpoints other than at boss fights and not stealing half your health if you die.

I think they're at 14 each. I just spammed something ridiculous like 50,000 souls upgrading my Strength to 22 so I can wield that Composite Longbow. It was worth it, though- 57 ranged damage on Death.

A few things it does to make things easier include making the world open, having checkpoints other than at boss fights and not stealing half your health if you die.

Those sound a lot fairer than the way things work in Demon's Souls :|

That said, I would have made it to the Adjucator as a human if I hadn't had to put the controller down because the phone rang.

:|

Curse the lack of a pause feature.

Yeah, that's still in Dark Souls.

But there are more safe areas, seems like.

Oh, another thing: Pyromancy. Pyromancy Pyromancy Pyromancy. So useful.

Also, I need 13 Bladestones just to make this weapon Sharp+1. That's ridiculous.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Nova, you really need more endurance and vitality. Those two stats are incredibly important for every character type. More endurance will also mean you can block better, not to mention eventually allowing you to move faster and stuff. 

I know I need more endurance and vitality.

However, I really needed a good Strength so I could wield this bow. Tell me, which will help me more in the game; having a ranged weapon or having 6 more Vitality?

The former. A lot of the bosses can be killed risk-free with ranged.

Though you already beat the Tower Knight, so I don't know how many that leaves.