If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm planning on going Princess's Guard, but I have to beat a really irritating double boss before I can do that.
    Incidentally, for all the hype the Drake Sword gets, on the file I made over the weekend when I was at home, I managed to obsolete it before the Gargoyle.
  • edited 2011-10-20 17:04:13
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I was Way of White, then Darkmoon Blades, but then I got kicked for being a little shit. Heh. Currently planning to join Princess' Guard, but like INUH, I'm yet to win a particular boss battle. That said, I found the lightning spear that makes it easier recently.

^ How on earth...?
    Upgrading the Falchion and having decent dexterity.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Upgrading it a lot, I presume?
    It doesn't take much; after all, the blacksmith sells Titanite. You can get it to +5 with pretty much no difficulty.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Ok so I've actually got in decently used to the basics so i ditched my cleric and went back to my thief.
    I found a spear which I'm using mostly for the smaller enemies, and have the bandit knife with bleed for bigger/slower enemies.

Also I'm getting better at backstabs, almost getting them every time I try for it.

As for covenants from what I've looked at I want to join the Gravelord one.
  • edited 2012-03-13 16:17:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Played more on my new file today. Currently wielding a +5 Claymore. I killed the Capra Demon, pimped out my Pyromancy Flame and used it to kill the Moonlight Butterfly. I'm not entirely certain what to do now, in terms of either build or goals. For the former, I'm kinda tempted to grind strength so I can one-hand a +5 Zweihander with its beautiful damage numbers. But I'd have to gain 8 levels to do that, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

As for actual goals...the next "main" goal is killing Quelaag, but that's...not a fun fight. Alternatively, I could go into the depths despite not needing to for the extra spending souls. Or I could kill the Darkroot Hydra or the Wyvern. Or Havel for that matter...

Also, I'm moving this thread to Media to make it easier to find, since it turned into the main DS thread >.>

• There's absolutely no reason to not just go kill Havel right now and get his awesome ring.  And Quelaag seems to be ridiculously easy too, from what I've seen watching my friend fight her...

Well, the reason I wasn't killing Havel was that he has a lot of defense...though my upgraded Pyromancy will probably fix that, now I think of it. I might as well take him out. Then I'll have two burden-lightening rings. Which is good, because claymore and heavy shield.

Quelaag...I disagree there. She doesn't hit as hard as other bosses, sure, but she doesn't have any weaknesses and you have to be very careful if you're near her at all. Though I might've just had a shitty build the first time I fought her. I was still using the Noob Blade Drake Sword.

• edited 2012-03-13 16:37:12

Yeah, Havel is very easy if you have strong pyromancy.  Just spam Fire Orb/Fireball while backing up the stairs and he won't hit you and he'll go down pretty fast.

As for Quelaag... well... I dunno.  I haven't actually fought her yet myself (though, I'm right about to), but even if I had I'm doing it with sorcery so that isn't very relevant to your character.  In any case, it's just that my friend didn't seem to have much trouble with her.  Though he was also a higher level than your character seems to be right now, and probably with better equipment too.

• edited 2012-03-13 16:40:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I tried sorcery on her with my first character...it...didn't go well.

What equipment did he have? My armor isn't great, but my claymore is pretty powerful. I took out the Gargoyle in three hits.

• Well, a battleaxe +6 or 7, and most of the Stone armor (but not all since weight), so nothing too great.  But apparently it was good enough.

Hmmm...I probably should go through the Depths before Quelaag just so I can get the large ember.

• Probably.

Also, just beat Quelaag.  Pretty easy, since Great Heavy Soul Arrow takes away like a sixth of her health and I can cast it from outside the range of her lava attack.

Yeah, okay, you have better sorcery than I did.

Killed Havel, got his ring, bumping my burden limit from 72ish to 108.

Got strength up to 20; only four more levels until I get to use the Zweihander.

Entered the Depths...and that's where things went a bit wrong. I got cursed; that's never actually happened to me before. I'll have to get back to the belltower. That's going to take forever, given that I have to fight back past the butchers and dogs I skipped coming in -_-

• Oh hey, you got cursed too.

On my way back from Quelaag I ended up going to the Great Hollow and got cursed there.  So now I have to get out of Blighttown with only half my health while I don't have any items that cure poison anymore.  So... yeah...

The toxic-induing guys don't respawn, if that helps. Do you know where theelevator to firelink is?
  • edited 2012-03-13 20:14:23

Yeah, I know how to get out, and I've actually killed all the toxic guys already.  It's just that it's going to be pretty annoying to get out since enemies that aren't mosquitos will all be able to kill me in one hit, since I'm cursed.  Also because Soul Arrows are ridiculously inaccurate and can only hit one enemy at a time.

Yeah, that's why magic should be a backup.
  • Yeah, but I use magic whenever possible in every game because it's cooler.  And most boss fights so far have been pretty easy because of it, at least.

True. But you can't neglect other stuff.

The claymore might just be the best sword in the game for characters with the requisite strength to wield it in one hand. It has a great combination of range, speed, power and versatility, essentially being the longsword's upsize. 

The only difference is, if you go a Faith character, the longsword ends up scaling B with Faith as an occult weapon. I've yet to find something that scales A with Faith that isn't a talisman, so to my knowledge, it's the Faithiest upgrade from a standard weapon in the game.

If only the Astora longsword could go past +5, or didn't require twinkling titanite -- then it might be useful. But a regular blessed longsword outdoes it easily by +3, and at +5 there's no comparison. 

So, I got strength high enough for te zweihander...I was only expecting it to be a little slower than the claymore -_-

The zweihander, used properly, is actually a very efficient damage-dealer. It has a long range and a considerable attack arc, meaning you can group clear well and deal high stamina damage against blocking enemies. Its ability to reliably stagger also means it can interrupt attacks extremely well, making its offensive abilities cross over with defense (if you're game). 

It's certainly not a replacement to the claymore, but it rocks socks in the right scenarios. Use it when you need to be decisive and know how to abuse a clear opening. 

Will do. Still disappointed.

Worked on the catacombs just now. Went much better than in previous files. I only died once; to the Titanite golem. The second time I fought it, its AI got glitched so that when I got in the coffin, it walked toward the entrance instead of where it started, making it much easier to fight.

Then I took out the last of the necromancers, and I'll kill Pinwheel tomorrow. If I can outrun those wheel skeleton things T_T

And the black knight. 

know I can outrun a black knight. The skeleton things are fast, though.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I consider the boss itself trivial but the room before it a deathtrap.