If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the renames on TV Tropes are getting to me

1235»

Comments

• edited 2011-09-28 10:16:12
    More caught up now with more quotes to respond to...

You're thinking it from the perspective of someone who is already familiar with this terms, rather than from the perspective of someone who's never heard of these terms and is browsing the wiki for the first time.

No, because I had no idea what Nakama, Tsundere, Moe, and so on meant before I got to TV Tropes. When I saw them in use, I wondered what they meant. I wasn't irritated, I was curious. So I looked at the pages, just briefly, and I learned. Then I knew. It wasn't difficult or inconvenient, and if it is for other people then I guess you're right, I do have trouble seeing it from their POV.

And is that a good thing? Doesn't the site want to be for everyone?

More people qualify as nerds than one might first think. Hell, I've met jocks who considered themselves nerds because of their interest in comic books and such.

Except the site is aiming to be a helpful tool for authors and stuff

it is bullshit and it'll never be, but hey.

Yeah, I don't understand how they think they're providing a service to authors. Authors have gotten along just fine for centuries, and have been using many of the tropes for centuries, without having a wiki about them. You don't need a wiki to know that sometimes it's interesting to turn a bad guy good or vice versa (Heel/Face, Face/Heel), or that you can make a new enemy seem tough by having her or him or it beat the crap out of the toughest SOB in the main cast of the story (The Worf Effect, currently on the way to being renamed much to my dismay), or that conflict is interesting and forcing people who don't get along to work as a team (Teeth Clenched Teamwork), etc.

Whether Fast Eddie and people who agree with him like it or not, I'm certain that the majority of readers of the site's content are fans. Some of those fans are authors, but I've never heard of an author consulting TV Tropes when creating a work. (The closest I've ever seen anybody come to that is the Comic Irregulars behind "Darths & Droids" linking to TV Tropes a number of times, but that wasn't to say "Hey, we got this idea from TV Tropes" so much as it's kind of a Shout Out to the wiki, like "Hey, check out this site, it's cool.")

There seems to be a conflict of interest between people who want it taken seriously and people who want it not to take itself seriously.

That's another thing I don't get, because there's already a wiki for people who want serious stuff. It's called Wikipedia.

I can read about The Simpsons on Wikipedia if I want to, but it's not as much fun as reading about the show on TV Tropes. Which is what drew me to TV Tropes in the first place: it is more fun than Wikipedia. That is the hook, and instead of trying to file that hook down they ought to see it for what it is and use it.

You can be informative and funny/fun at the same time.
  • You can change. You can.
    I can read about The Simpsons on Wikipedia if I want to, but it's not as much fun as reading about the show on TV Tropes. Which is what drew me to TV Tropes in the first place: it is more fun than Wikipedia. That is the hook, and instead of trying to file that hook down they ought to see it for what it is and use it.

I find Wikipedia's deadpan humor and stealthy jokes far more interesting that TvT's attempts at humor.

• "The particularly irksome thing about the whole issue was that people were blocking a rename even though the term was being used incorrectly."

Loanwords change sometimes during the loan process.

Of course, Nakama isn't really a loanword anyway, so this arguement is moot.

"I find Wikipedia's deadpan humor and stealthy jokes far more interesting that TvT's attempts at humor."

Wikipedia has those things? I never noticed them

inb4 Spanish Wikipedia has those things and English one doesn't
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Go to the IJAM subforum on TV Tropes and look at the "Wikipedia's deadpan attitude" thread.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Nakama isn't a loanword so much as one site misusing a Japanese term because they think Japanese is cool.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Chagen > But people like you, INUH, Malk, Juan, Abyss, Noim, Poni, Waltzy, Cygan,
    Litzt, Counter, AHR, and Forz and the like....your kind doesn't show up
    on most forums. I've never seen people as intelligent and eloquent as
    you guys before. I mean that seriously

Aww, thanks for the compliments!  (I'm being honest and frank, not sarcastic.)  Good to know that we're a community that fosters intelligent conversation.

I don't think people's apparent intelligence is so much related to their actual intelligence as it is to the atmosphere and customs of a community.

As for another point...
    My first belief is that of intelligence. Now, TvTropes is not the
    pinnacle of intelligence and intellectualism. But, when I was on it, I
    was glad that I could at least assume that every person I talked to was,
    at the very least, somewhat intelligent, something you can't assume in
    most sites.

Now, is this is byproduct of TvTropes's small
    userbase? Maybe. But if the site becomes more "mainstream"--for lack of a
    better word--then we might see an influx of really anti-intellectual,
    not very intelligent people come in. The bigger a forum gets, the more
    stupid people exist in it, and the lower the average intelligence in it
    is. That's not something I'd like to see.
    But the renames proposed actually would tend toward increased, rather than decreased, intellectualism.  For example, which one sounds more ivory-tower-ish and stuffy, "ho yay" or "homoerotic subtext"?
  • Glenn: Intelligence =/= Being a snobby Ivory Tower Twat

Th thing about Ho Yay is that the name implies many things that I'd say are wrong for the trope to imply, like the implication that there's something inherently good to Homoerotical Subtext, when it's just another writing thing.

Of course, I know that's not much of an argument, but it does bother me and I feel like pointing it out so there. *pokes tongue*
  • edited 2011-09-28 11:57:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > @INUH: That's how intelligence tests work. They measure spatial reasoning,
    pattern recognition, problem solving aptitude, and understanding of
    abstract concepts. Not anything that requires learned information or
    skills.

Though they still DO require some amount of foreknowledge of how things work.  Such as, obviously, knowledge of the language the test is given in, unless you can design a language-free test.

> The majority of the time I doubt this is true. I mean, I'm trying to
    imagine how somebody would just quit TV Tropes because some trope names
    sounded weird to them, and I can't.

I don't think the problem is that people will quit TV Tropes; it's that new people are less likely to join.

> I'm certain that the majority of readers of the site's content are fans.

Definitely VERY, VERY true.

> Th thing about Ho Yay is that the name implies many things that I'd say
    are wrong for the trope to imply, like the implication that there's
    something inherently good to Homoerotical Subtext, when it's just
    another writing thing.

Yeah, I don't get the "yay" part.  Of that or "foe yay" either.

> Glenn: Intelligence =/= Being a snobby Ivory Tower Twat

I know, but my point is that the less informal-sounding name is less likely to attract stupid visitors who would tend toward youtube-comment-quality contributions.
  • Juan: Ho Yay is supposed to be Homoerotic Subtext that:

The author portrays as good.
    Or:
    A part of the audience thinks is good.

It's not for any kind of homoerotic subtext.
    But isn't the trope name used to refer to pretty much any homoerotic subtext that's neutral or better?
  • edited 2011-09-28 12:09:45
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^That's...not actually true. You presumably got that false impression because of the title.
  • edited 2011-09-28 12:25:37
    You can change. You can.
     Ho Yay is supposed to be Homoerotic Subtext that:
    The author portrays as good.
    Or:
    A part of the audience thinks is good.
    It's not for any kind of homoerotic subtext. 

Nope.avi

HoYay is just homoerotic subtext (Or text, although I think that it should be just subtext, but lol trope decay). Hell, if it wasn't that, Fight Club wouldn't be listed there. 
  • I have mixed feelings about renaming Ho Yay. On the one hand, I can't claim that when I first went on TVT the meaning was obvious; on the other, there is getting to be a rather depressing pattern of clunking literalism in naming that slowly helps suck the fun out of things as surely as a bunch of guys on SA claiming that "All tropers are autistic paedophile racists who never leave their bedrooms and can't write for toffee."

On the intelligence point, my personal view is that IQ tests are questionable as measures of intelligence and grades only really matter when you get your first job. After a while working, people are basically interested in your experience and personality (although that mostly means not being a complete jerk and being able to work with others, not necessarily being a talkative, extrovert type). 

The thing is, I don't think it's exactly fun for me to have to open page after page after page so I can understand what I was reading originally. At least, not when I'm there trying to find info on something. Sure, it gives the wiki traffic, and I actually enjoy wiki walks, but I do think it is bad encyclopedic writing. 

It''s like those time an Encyclopedia says "X: See, Y." and then "Y:See, X", but more like "X:See, Y.", "Y:See, Z", "Z: See, A", etc etc
  • @Topic:

I used to dislike renames because I felt the old names had a certain
    charm to them, but really, keeping things to please me and old users is
    kinda wrong and selfish.

This. Or for a different wording, I did dislike them, but I accepted them for that reason.

I never liked names where the joke is that it's a reference to a work and nothing more, though.

@Intelligence:

People in real life say I'm smart, too, which as I guess you can figure out is not true.
  • Something that struck me earlier in the day was that if Ho Yay does get renamed, then it'll mean a lot of additional work because you'd need to think up alternate names for the following as well:

-Foe Yay (mentioned earlier in the thread)
    -No Yay
    -Faux Yay
    -Three Yay

And there are probably still more.  Ho Yay has children!  WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN???!!!
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    On the one hand, I can't claim that when I first went on TVT the meaning
    was obvious; on the other, there is getting to be a rather depressing
    pattern of clunking literalism in naming that slowly helps suck the fun
    out of things as surely as a bunch of guys on SA claiming that "All
    tropers are autistic paedophile racists who never leave their bedrooms
    and can't write for toffee."

Well, isn't that last bit true? ;)

Whoever came up with Ho Yay in the first place needs to explain it.
  • edited 2011-09-28 19:41:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I believe it was named as a result of someone going "Homoeroticism, yay!" in an IRC conversation with whoever launched the article. Or something like that.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    And I guess it stuck because five letters are easier to type than either of the words making up "homoerotic subtext", let alone the entire phrase.
  • a little muffled
    @INUH: No, it's a reference to TV Without Pity or one of those other sites like that.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Huh. Dunno how I heard the version I heard.
    > Something that struck me earlier in the day was that if Ho Yay does get
    renamed, then it'll mean a lot of additional work because you'd need to
    think up alternate names for the following as well:

Not quite, I'd say.  You could keep those names while changing their parent name.

> And I guess it stuck because five letters are easier to type than either
    of the words making up "homoerotic subtext", let alone the entire
    phrase.

THIS is the most convincing argument to keep that I've heard so far in this thread.  And how significant this is depends on how iconic it has already become.
    I don't think being easier to type is a particularly good argument. By that logic, Yamato nadeshiko, Zettai Ryouki et al would be gone.
  • ^ You say that as though it would be a bad thing...

Not a bad thing, but definetly not much of an argument, as it is based on nothing but personal preference. 
    It's iconic and short, and thus easy to remember AND type.
    It isn't iconic to any person new to the wiki. It is short, but to anyone who isn't aware of the logic behind it, it seems like a string of nonsensical letters put together because shortness and it'd be probably hard to remember as such. 

As for easy to type, bitch, if it hurts your hand to type homoerotical subtext, then you either need an English class, a better keyboard or better hands.