If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the renames on TV Tropes are getting to me

edited 2011-09-27 21:14:20 in Webspace
(Apologies if this has been brought up before and I'm rehashing old stuff.)

It may seem silly, but I get attached to trope names.  I think they're fun.  I like them the way they are.  It's part of the appeal of the wiki.

And it seems like just when I least expect it, one of those trope names that I'm attached to gets changed, usually to something boring.

Here's an example: right now, there's voting going on for what to rename Ho Yay.  At the top of the list?  "Homoerotic Subtext".

Goddamn it.  REALLY?!

I don't get why anybody feels the need to fucking dull down these names.  If somebody sees a trope name and wonders what it means, they don't have to stay confused for long.  Click on the fucking trope name to go to the page, click on "Laconic", and now you know, and that's half the battle.

I'm sorry, but this is frustrating and even depressing, and it got a whole lot MORE frustrating and depressing after I saw one particular trope had been renamed and I decided to look at the Trope Repair Shop to see if I could do anything to stop others being renamed.  And then I saw how many others there were, and...yeah, I know that this is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, that there's lots of stuff way, way, way more serious in the world to get upset about.  But nevertheless, I'm still upset.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Wait, Kilgore Trout isn't a sockpuppet?

also ugh more tvtropes threads
  • edited 2011-09-27 21:17:43
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I generally take the opposite view. I've never understood how having a nonindicative name that's funny once you've read the article, or if you're a fan of the same thing as the guy who launched the page, was good.

Of course, it would've been better if someone had found a funny indicative name.
    also ugh more tvtropes threads
    What do you expect from a forum that started as a TV Tropes spinoff?
  • Wait, why would you think I was a sockpuppet, Forzare?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ Because this.

^^ I'm just tired of the endless TVT threads that never go anywhere.  They're all the same.
  • edited 2011-09-27 21:21:24
    You can change. You can.
    Name sounds like something from Apocalypse Now

What do you expect from a forum that started as a TV Tropes spinoff?

To get away from it eventually?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I didn't enjoy a lot of the changes because it's like they're remodeling toys I have, and ultimately trope pages are toys. It make perfect sense to do it, though.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    To get away from it eventually?
    Well, yeah, but lots of people here are still going to be familiar with TV Tropes, so it stands to reason that it'll be brought up occasionally.
  • You can change. You can.
    Anyway, my position on renames is simply "Do it, if the old title isn't worthwhile and the new one is"

I used to dislike renames because I felt the old names had a certain charm to them, but really, keeping things to please me and old users is kinda wrong and selfish.
    ^Pretty much my stance.
    Yeah... and I think that if you're getting depressed and/or legitimately angry about renames, you might want to take a step back and consider if you're taking this all too seriously.
  • edited 2011-09-27 21:35:38
    Yeah, I picked the name because I'm a Vonnegut fan (and typically, I only discovered his work after he died).  And there was a character whose last name was Kilgore in "Apocalypse Now" (the guy who said he loved the smell of napalm in the morning), but that's not one of my favourite movies.

Anyway, the thing is that some of the stuff that just bugs me has to do with TV Tropes, and complaining about TV Tropes to people on TV Tropes seems like an exercise in frustration.  I should know, since I've done it, and it was frustrating.
  • You can change. You can.
    I'm guessing you're not KilgoreTrout on TvT?

And yeah, I don't know much about Vonnegut (You're allowed to mock me now. For one second)

And well, I know that feel, where you want to complain about TvT, but the fact of the matter is that this is not exactly a good enviroment to do it, mostly because of history and stuff.
  • Actually, I'm the same one, Juan.

"And yeah, I don't know much about Vonnegut (You're allowed to mock me now. For one second)"

Haha, you're a--crap, time's up. :/

Anyway, I'll remember that and try not to bitch too much about TV Tropes in the future.  For now, can anybody tell me how to use quote tags here? 
    You have to click on the little <> button, then type "
    the text you're quoting
    "
  • edited 2011-09-27 21:48:56
    EDIT: Okay, that first attempt of mine right after you told me what to do didn't work, let's see if
    this
    does....

It does! Awesome, thanks! :D
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I just press the little arrow that faces right.

As such.
  • edited 2011-09-27 21:55:18
    [tɕagɛn]
    Thank you.

Someone else who agrees. If a person doesn't get a trope name, they can click it and find out. If they can't be arsed to do that, then they can GTFO
  • edited 2011-09-27 21:56:25
    ^^Wait what you can do that?

^That's still extremely bad form. It kinda seems to be rooted in a "it's just a thing about silly TV stuff, so it doesn't matter" attitude.
    That attitude loses users, which TVT would rather not do.
  • "That attitude loses users, which TVT would rather not do."

It didn't lose me, ergo, you are incorrect.
    Wait, so you're every user on TV Tropes?
  • "Someone else who agrees. If a person doesn't get a trope name, they can click it and find out. If they can't be arsed to do that, then they can GTFO"

Contrary to common belief, not everyone wants to spend endless hours wiki walking just because it uses terms completely incomprehensible to the average viewer.

• edited 2011-09-27 21:58:55
    [tɕagɛn]
    No, but Malk's statement had the connotation of "it will always lose users in every situation". I provided myself as an counterexample.
  • I was replying to INUH
    No it didn't. It had the connotation that the net effect would be a loss. You might enjoy it Chagen and I do too, but I think we've established that you and I are not indicative of general people.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:01:05
    No, he said "that attitude loses users."

For the statement to be true, it would have had to drive away at least two people.

I can confirm at least one person that it's driven away (the author of Gunnerkrigg Court). It's hardly a wild leap of the imagination that it's lost another.
  • And I for one do not find it pleasant to click through two links just to figure out what the hell "Type X" means in reference to antiheroes.
  • "You might enjoy it Chagen and I do too, but I think we've established that you and I are not indicative of general people."

Most people on TvTropes aren't general people either. TvTropes is, and always will be, a nerd site.
  • "TvTropes is, and always will be, a nerd site."

And is that a good thing? Doesn't the site want to be for everyone?