If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the renames on TV Tropes are getting to me

Comments

• We shouldn't be for everyone. I'd prefer we'd not be.

Admittedly, this is me suffering fron Indiefag Syndrome, but eh
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Is there any reason other than your preference that it not be for everyone?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I on the other hand would like to see more people be interested in the place.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Wait what you can do that?

I'm doing it right now.

We shouldn't be for everyone. I'd prefer we'd not be.

Discussion over. It's pointless.
  • You can change. You can.
    Except the site is aiming to be a helpful tool for authors and stuff

it is bullshit and it'll never be, but hey.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:07:43

Let me say this. When I look at a page called One Of Us, I really dislike being pigeonholed into a stereotype.

^There seems to be a conflict of interest between people who want it taken seriously and people who want it not to take itself seriously.

But Vin Diesel plays D&D! And Samuel L. Jackson reads Marvel comics! Doesn't that make you feel special?
  • As I said, Indiefag Syndrome:

>Something I like isn't super-popular
    >Therefore, I become obsessed with making sure it stays unpopular for no reason other than an irrational preference for it being unpopular

Also, TvTropes lies left right now in its articles. I fear that it becoming popular will result in a shift to the right....which will not be good.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm still trying to change "killer rabbit" to something that doesn't involve an animal name because people confuse it for the actual scary rabbit trope (hair-raising hare).  I have to figure out a way to convincingly express Just because the wicks aren't wrong doesn't mean that people won't confuse the name.

> I've never understood how having a nonindicative name that's funny once
    you've read the article, or if you're a fan of the same thing as the guy
    who launched the page, was good.

This.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:09:46
    ^^^I don't need such validation. (and I don't do either of those things, but that's beside the point)
    ^There seems to be a conflict of interest between people who want it taken seriously and people who want it not to take itself seriously.

I would want it to be taken seriously, but as it is, it has too many endemic conditions to be taken seriously. So I say they shouldn't attempt that and instead try to be a better nerd wiki readable for everyone, which is feasible. 

But wanting it to be a serious endeavor would be like training a cat so it becomes a better dog.
    ^^^I don't need such validation. (and I don't do either of those things, but that's beside the point)

pssst, that's the joke.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Therefore, I become obsessed with making sure it stays unpopular for no reason other than an irrational preference for it being unpopular

If you acknowledge... Ah, dammit, who cares.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    By the way, I don't really think needs to be renamed "homoerotic subtext", but I wouldn't object if people did rename it thus, since that's a much more often-used term in non-TVT-based communication.

Though that new name might not be accurate, since Ho Yay is sometimes used to describe actual homoerotic explicit-text.
    I don't want it be serious because I don't think there's any way it can be anything more than a fun superficial look at fiction, but I do think it should be reasonable.
  • "I would want it to be taken seriously, but as it is, it has too many endemic conditions to be taken seriously. So I say they shouldn't attempt that and instead try to be a better nerd wiki readable for everyone, which is feasible. "

That would require stamping out a somewhat large majority ofthe userbase at first.
  • "If you acknowledge... Ah, dammit, who cares."

If you want a legit reason: I connect with the inherent nerdieness of TvTropes. I fear that a shift to a more mainstream-friendly design would cause it to lose that nerdieness.

Also, the more popular something is, the dumber its userbase becomes.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:18:27

"I connect with the inherent nerdieness of TvTropes."

And I don't. Why it should serve only an exclusive club?

I don't want it be serious because I don't think there's any way it can be anything more than a fun superficial look at fiction, but I do think it should be reasonable.

Oh hay, Juan, didn't know you hacked into Malk's account.

oh wait, why am i confessing 

._.
  • "And I don't. Why it should serve only an exclusive club?"

Because the alternative could be worse.

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
  • "Because the alternative could be worse."

I hate thought-terminating cliches.

• If you want me to explain my reasoning, then just ask.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:22:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Because the alternative could be worse.
    Do you have any reasoning other than "I don't want it" to back that up?

Hilariously ninja'd.
  • That would be lovely.
    That would be lovely.

In the SA's word filter sense, I'm guessing.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:29:02
    [tɕagɛn]
    Fine.

My first belief is that of intelligence. Now, TvTropes is not the pinnacle of intelligence and intellectualism. But, when I was on it, I was glad that I could at least assume that every person I talked to was, at the very least, somewhat intelligent, something you can't assume in most sites.

Now, is this is byproduct of TvTropes's small userbase? Maybe. But if the site becomes more "mainstream"--for lack of a better word--then we might see an influx of really anti-intellectual, not very intelligent people come in. The bigger a forum gets, the more stupid people exist in it, and the lower the average intelligence in it is. That's not something I'd like to see.
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:28:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I could at least assume that every person I talked to was, at the very least, somewhat intelligent
    ಠ_ಠ
    We had anti-intellectuals back then. We have them now. No biggie.
    ಠ_ಠ
  • edited 2011-09-27 22:32:57
    [tɕagɛn]
    Not every person.

But people like you, INUH, Malk, Juan, Abyss, Noim, Poni, Waltzy, Cygan, Litzt, Counter, AHR, and Forz and the like....your kind doesn't show up on most forums. I've never seen people as intelligent and eloquent as you guys before. I mean that seriously