If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the renames on TV Tropes are getting to me

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    ^ Yeah, that's why I feel bad when I say I'm not smart. I feel like I'm not providing a good argument.

I should have Tzetze here showing everyone how dumb I can be like he does in #yackfest >_<

Or noimporta, but he's too busy being Argentinian to help. 
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    People tell me I'm smart, but I don't ever really see much indication of it. My grades are consistently below my parents' expectations and I suck at talking to people. I mostly just sit around and waste time.
    I've gotten better at talking to people but some of the things that are kinda essential still elude me

like asking for help when i need it. >.>
  • No rainbow star
    Joking aside, I don't feel smart myself despite being told I am a genius. Everybody else seems smarter to me
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Joking aside, I don't feel smart myself despite being told I am a genius. Everybody else seems smarter to me
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    :<

haha sucks to be you

I've gotten better at talking to people but some of the things that are kinda essential still elude me

>_>
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I feel if I was smarter I'd be employed. =/
    I've been told I'm a genius because I read, so I never bought it. 
  • edited 2011-09-27 23:08:46
    [tɕagɛn]
    Eh, if you guys are so unsure about my compliments, just remember that I'm highly optimistic.
  • edited 2011-09-27 23:10:34
    Has friends besides tanks now
    -intelligence as perceived by others-

I know that feel. I've tricked some people into thinking I'm "a beast" because I can do mental multiplication, when what I really am is someone who has trouble talking to people and forgets facts presented recently when new facts present themselves, therefore causing me to contradict myself. Oh, and being an eighteen-year-old virgin by circumstance must mean I'm fairly dumb. Stuff like that.
  • edited 2011-09-27 23:10:41
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ I've been told I'm a genius because of my IQ. It doesn't feel right though. If I am so smart, then why did I stop blazing through things? Maybe I was just lucky. And considering that they said my IQ is 152, then 156, and the papers say 131, I have to wonder if they even knew what they were fucking doing. For all I know, my IQ should be 62 and they just hilariously fucked up the results
    ^Hello, me.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "And considering that they said my IQ is 152, then 156, and the papers say 131, I have to wonder if they even knew what they were fucking doing. For all I know, my IQ should be 62 and they just hilariously fucked up the results"

Reminds me of when I got bored and took an "Advanced" IQ test on Facebook. It told me my IQ was 150-something even though I got like less than a quarter of the questions correct.
    And besides, all an IQ actually measures is how well you did on a standardized test.
  • No rainbow star
    IQ Tests - Less Intelligence tests and more dick measuring contests
    I got 120 in one.

fuck i'm dumber than everyone here.
    I don't know my exact score because I was like eight, but my parents said it was in the 150s.

I do remember some of the questions. A lot of them seemed more like videogame sliding block puzzles than something with any real applications.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    When I took one proper I only got 102 D:
  • edited 2011-09-27 23:20:43
    No rainbow star
    ^^ One of mine was a simple match the shapes (Which reminds me, mine was administered to me when I was in the 3rd grade - It is probably even MORE wrong now)
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've never taken an IQ test.
  • edited 2011-09-27 23:21:08
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    @INUH: That's how intelligence tests work. They measure spatial reasoning, pattern recognition, problem solving aptitude, and understanding of abstract concepts. Not anything that requires learned information or skills.
  • edited 2011-09-27 23:21:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^^So...you're not as good at taking an IQ test as some people are.

Does that matter?

^Yeah, but...It kinda felt like it was just testing my ability to take the test. And even then, the best predictor of IQ is education quality.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I might have been smart at one point but all the moe anime turned my brain to mush.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    When I was 16 (before I was fully aware of the invalidity of Internet IQ tests), I took three online tests consecutively. Got 137, 135, and 134, in that order. I still wonder how I managed that, and how far off all those numbers are.

Funny story/dick measuring time over.
    Yeah, in theory IQ tests would work perfectly, because they just work on an abstract level

In practice, where intelligence is such an impossible to define concept...yeah.

• I took one and got 128, and it has done squat for me. IQ tests don't really mean anything.
  • Holy crap, I never expected that this would get 117 comments!  Well, time to start catching up...

That attitude loses users, which TVT would rather not do.

The majority of the time I doubt this is true. I mean, I'm trying to imagine how somebody would just quit TV Tropes because some trope names sounded weird to them, and I can't.

It's not like anybody's gonna react by going "'Nakama?!' WHAT THE HELL IS 'NAKAMA'?! Oh, it's like a group of friends. THEN WHY DON'T THEY CALL IT THAT?!! RAAARRGH! FUCK YOU TVTROPES.ORG, I AM LEAVING *FOREVER*!!!"
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^Except that kinda happened. Though it's more about the weabooish-ness of the name rather than the opacity.
    The majority of the time I doubt this is true. I mean, I'm trying to imagine how somebody would just quit TV Tropes because some trope names sounded weird to them, and I can't.

You're thinking it from the perspective of someone who is already familiar with this terms, rather than from the perspective of someone who's never heard of these terms and is browsing the wiki for the first time.
  • edited 2011-09-28 10:13:20
    ^^Not just that. The particularly irksome thing about the whole issue was that people were blocking a rename even though the term was being used incorrectly.