If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why I hate Anime, in a nutshell

edited 2011-09-16 04:02:48 in Media
no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
"Hey Edmond, you liked Clannad right? Well maybe you'll like Ano Hana! It's very similar!" *Watches* Yeah, it is similar... in that its almost a freaking ripoff of the Fuko arc.
"Hey Edmond, you liked Lucky Star right? Well maybe you'll like Azumanga Daioh? or K-On?" *watches* "Yeah, these are like Lucky Star... except not cute. Or funny."
"Hey Edmond, you like The Slayers right? Maybe you'll like Louie the Rune Soldier!" *Watches* "Yeah, this is like Slayers. If Slayers was a little less funny." (okay, so Rune Soldier wasn't bad)
"Hey Edmond, you like older anime right? Try The Vision of Escaflowne! It used to be a classic!" *watches* "... Dude, the villain used a FATE ALTERATION MACHINE to get the girl to hook up with the bishounen. That's like something out of a shitty fanfic. I can't believe I watched a show that amounts to 'its Aura Battler Dunbine if it was written by Stephanie Meyer'."
"Hey Edmond--" *holds up his hand* "Don't. Recommend. Anything." Silence falls across the land. The end.

Comments

• edited 2011-09-16 04:07:46
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >Azumanga Daioh
    >Not cute or funny

I'm going to fucking cut you.
  • If Moe is trying to make himself more hated, it's working.
  • You can change. You can.
    Oh, we hate on people based on the fact that they have shitty tastes?

Didn't know that.
    Also, I should mention that Dantes didn't criticize anything I didn't dislike myself.

Make of that what you will.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm going to cut you too, Juan.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    > MoesDantes
    > Media opinions

I'll get my coat. :T
  • Watch your backs, Forzare or I could be there when you least expect it.
    Well, what can I say? Azumanaga Daioh doesn't amuse me that much. 

And I haven't watched the rest of the shows in there. :p
  • Earnestly, all of you hating on Moe, ask yourself what he's saying.

They're just his opinions.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Because something being an opinion obviously means it should never be challenged :x
  • Electric Boogaloo
    Did you really snowclone your own thread?

Also, I mainly dislike anime from an animation standpoint. These videos pretty much sum up my feelings towards anime.

In terms of anime's content? I think it has potential. It's certainly hit every genre and subject under the sun, but many times their execution in such just goes awry, though I would forgive many of these if it weren't for their shoddy animation. Samurai Champloo, for example, would have been fucking great if it actually had fluid animation with a decent framerate and didn't abuse limited animation and keyframes so much. Watch that show again. It's more akin to a slideshow than to a cartoon.

Also, filler. Way too much filler.
  • edited 2011-09-16 04:49:01
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Also, filler. Way too much filler.

I certainly cannot speak for all anime, but for the very popular ones, I do believe that they are just waiting for the manga artist to release the next few volumes.

Still way too much filler though.
  • I love filler arcs :( I'd never, ever watch the cartoon if they never had content not in the comic...
  • edited 2011-09-16 04:54:10
    You can change. You can.
    Earnestly, all of you hating on Moe, ask yourself what he's saying.
    They're just his opinions.

I think the problem with Dantes is the way he presents his opinions. I don't like Azumanga Daioh, and the only reason I've brought this particular opinion three times is because it's the only anime in that list I have watched. But you don't see me getting on your face and telling you that it's just bad or whatever. --shrug--

Admittedly, this thread is hardly a case of it, but I think anyone who has actually read a thread by Dantes knows what I mean in some level

Because something being an opinion obviously means it should never be challenged :x

Also, this.

@Scrye2: Eh, honestly, it maybe because I didn't take animation back when I decided on my degree ramifications (Or however the fuck it works in America), but I don't honestly care much for the animation. 

I just watch anime because some of it has good stories. I don't watch it because it's anime. Anyone who watches anime/western cartoons/films/TV series because they are anime/western cartoons/films/TV series is a pretty dumb person, imo.

As for Filler, I feel that it isn't an inherent bad thing, and sometimes, depending on the series, it can be even better than the original series, because, let's face it, anime tends to suck at doing the whole "Story arc + Stand alone episodes" thing. It's either one side being good and the other sucking hard.
  • @Cygan: they're not challenging his opinions, they're calling him a bad person...
    It's not serious.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    No they're not. And only Ninjaclown indicated anything about an opinion on Dantes himself.
  • On-topic then, I like some Anime shows, not all of them, or what can amount to be a majority of them.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I was kind of hoping that "I will fucking cut you" was over the top enough to not be taken seriously.
    I don't think anyone actually likes a majority of anime shows. It's just that some people are rather vocal about their belief that it's ZOMG awshum.
  • @Juan. I know that, but it seems rather childish to call all anime stupid when you don't like a majority of it
    I'd say that it seems rather childish to call something stupid because you don't like it.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    I certainly cannot speak for all anime, but for the very popular ones, I
    do believe that they are just waiting for the manga artist to release
    the next few volumes.

Oh, I wasn't referring to anime in general with that comment, I was referring specifically to the Samurai Champloo example. I thought that was originally a cartoon.

@Juan: So people are dumb for taking an interest in works because of the significance to the industry they appreciate and aspire to be a part of? So an automechanic can't appreciate a car for it's quality of parts and overall appeal without being an idiot? He has to only like it for getting him from point A to B?
    Oh, I wasn't referring to anime in general with that comment, I was referring specifically to the Samurai Champloo example. I thought that was originally a cartoon.

Ah, okay. Sorry.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    Although that brings up an interesting point. Why not do your own thing with your anime instead of doing it exactly like the comic? It's not like movies based off books, where a majority of people have never read/heard of the book and it somewhat makes sense to do a completely faithful adaptation so that you can reach a lot of people who haven't read the book. From what I've observed of both the Japanese and American anime fanbase, most people who are watching the anime tend to follow the comic books. In that regard, I have to ask, what's the fucking point of just copying the comic onto the tv screen? Why not branch out and make your own storylines for the anime? You can still have your anime based on a comic book that's still being published, but you don't have to tie yourself down to it. Take a look at the American superhero cartoons. They're based off of actively serialized comic books but they usually follow their own continuities, and thus function independently from the comics. Why can't anime do this? It'd certainly cut down on the filler epidemic.

(And I am aware that some animes do branch off from their comic continuities. Feel free to not repeat this to me. The point is it doesn't happen nearly enough, and if it does, then fuck your excuse for why there's so much filler.)
    Eh, if I watch an anime, I generally don't read the manga.  But that's just me.
  • edited 2011-09-16 05:35:11
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Although that brings up an interesting point. Why not do your own thing with your anime instead of doing it exactly like the comic?

Because they're lazy/stupid/not very good writers/idiots.

Take your pick.
  • Technically speaking, there have been some animes to do these.

Also technically speaking, changing it just enough is gonna piss off fans of the comic, unless you want to lose money because you decided to be original.
    Though, to be honest, my favorite anime (the first Fullmetal Alchemist) went off and did a completely different thing from the manga.  That probably says something about something, but I dunno what.