If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why I hate Anime, in a nutshell

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @ninjaclown: My sockpuppet.  The name's actually Nao; she's just Japanese.  She's a character from Mai-HiME.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't quite think that metaphor works, Dantes, but I see your point. 

Anyway, bluuh who cares about fandoms, really. I don't mind showing someone a work I love and its adaptations and making a judgment of their own. They don't have to obligatory agree with me. 

It's just that not everyone likes all mediums, which is a problem people seem to forget. I really dislike manga, I feel that the lack of color kills it stone cold dead for me. I know it's not a big reason, but I'm standing by it. So I don't see what's particularly wrong about watching an anime adapted from a manga series. --shrug--

It bears repeating that mangas and animes tend to differ in plots and all that, too. 
  • "K-ON! is god-tier. Lucky Star is only alright."

If fans made a fighting game out of My Little Pony....

• They're somethin' else.
    Since when did we confuse Dantes with Chagen, DYRE?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    K-ON! was so disappointing. I wanted the cleverness and groundedness of Beck with the humour of Haruhi. What I got was endless, pointless moe.
  • Beck was ridiculously boring and I couldn't make it past episode 2 any time I tried watching it.

Haruhi is good though.

Haruhi has just as much pointless moe as K-ON!, though.

why would you want the humor of haruhi is a question that baffles me.
    I never saw Haruhi as a moe show, though. It did cute things, but it never struck me as the point as much as K-ON! Between an anachronistic plot and having an inwardly-snarky male narrator, I always found the "moe" elements to be entirely secondary. With K-ON!, it's like the makers are constantly telling me how cute and endearing this all is. Instead of feeling it, I'm being told how to feel via being beaten over the head with the cute stick.

In short, I guess K-ON! is too transparent for me. I made it about seven episodes in and stopped, knowing that there wouldn't be the plot, cleverness or humour I was looking for.

Also, Haruhi was hilarious.
    Honestly, I always felt that Haruhi wouldn't work at all if it took Kyon away.

Yeah, I know that I'm playing obvious guy here, but my point is simply that when you're only enjoying two members in the whole cast, it's really hard to follow on and continue watching the show.
    Did you at least make it to the Phoenix Wright bit? Please tell me you did.
    The Phoenix Wright bit is the island where they investigate some dude's murder?
    Yes.
    Ah.

Last episode I watched. That's pretty much the bit where I realized I wasn't interested. --shrug--
    Aw boo.
    I still have it in the laptop and I'm willing to give it a second chance because I tend to do that a lot with the media I consume.
    As much as I think Haruhi is one of the best anime out there, if you didn't like it by then, you probably won't for the rest of the series. You're most of the way in at that point.
    Oh, mind, I did like it, I just didn't feel that I was particularly invested in it and started to withdraw out of apathy. Specially as the episodes seemed to be delving into formula by then. (Slice of Life bit -> anomaly caused by Haruhi being in a mood -> Anomaly is solved via awesomeness -> Kyon gives insight about his thoughts on the whole thing)

I admit that the whole island ep was actually good for actually not paying attention to the formula, but I still feel the ending is a bit of a cop out.
  • edited 2011-09-16 20:01:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    That reminds me of the fact that I've seen the first fifteen episodes of Mai-HiME.

...about two years ago.  I haven't watched further since.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    You should watch the rest, Glenn.
    But then, he'd watch the rest. D:
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    He stopped at Episode 15.

Episode 16 is... well, I don't want to spoil, so I'll just say that Episode 16 is about as important as Episode 8 :3
  • Poot dispenser here
    So, Edmond, you hate Anime because people recommend stuff to you?

Seems a tad extreme.
  • edited 2011-09-16 20:10:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Episode 16 is when Himelander begins.  I have never seen Highlander so I don't know what about it makes the -lander suffix refer to that, but...whatever.]

Unfortunately, I don't remember episode 8.  The only episode I remember by number is 4, which is the worst episode.
    i don't even wanna know.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's not dirty or anything.  Unless you don't like occasional lesbian subtext.  It's just [people fighting each other.]
    HIMElander refers to the revelation that, well, the HiME's have to kill each other. It reference's Highlander's "There can only be one!" thing, where they all go around killing each other.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    @Glenn: Almost everything you said, I already addressed in my posts. Next time, please read the entire post instead of just a few lines, and you'll see that. I'm aware of certain animes that differ from their comic origins. I even had Full Metal Jacket Alchemist in mind when I wrote that, because the only time I ever hear about that show is people bitching about how it didn't follow the comic or that the anime had a better story. I even pointed out that you don't need to point this out to me. The problem I was addressing is that if this happens, then "waiting for the next comic book issue" doesn't work as an excuse for filler.

Also, "music/sound/audio brings life to the comic!" I already addressed this too. If they're going to try and add "life" to a comic book, then they at least need to try and add life to the comic book. Music is one of the most important parts of doing so, but they always use the same 3 tracks, and when they don't, it's still not enough to distract me from the fact that they have like 20 seconds of a single image slowly sliding across the screen while an off-screen voiceover explains why they will win the ensuing duel. I already said, if they're not going to animate the damn thing, then all they're doing is making one of those "visual novels", which Japan already has a sizable market for. Basically what it boils down to, is Japan needs to either stop cutting corners on their animation, or consolidate their bullshit.

"animation.  movement.  How about the difference between seeing a set
    of photos of an event, and seeing a videotape of the event itself?"

Anime fails entirely in this regard, because they hardly animate anything, thus making it more of a slideshow than a motion picture.
    Music is one of the most important parts of doing so, but they always use the same 3 tracks,

Examples. 

I already said, if they're not going to animate the damn thing, then all they're doing is making one of those "visual novels", which Japan already has a sizable market for.

There's enough of a difference between the both of them for me to go on a limb and say that there's not much of a point for doing that.

I get that you don't like how the animation sucks. Hell, that was half the reason it took me so long to get into anime, but again, it's relatively superfluous. The animation accomplish what it sets out to do (Convey plot, differentiate characters, show action, etc etc) 

So I'd say that unless you have a really serious argument beyond "I don't like it", then I can't buy that the whole of anime sucks.
  • "Also, filler. Way too much filler."

Like...a FEW shows really have any filler.
  • a little muffled
    @Juan_Carlos:
    Honestly, I always felt that Haruhi wouldn't work at all if it took Kyon away.
    True, but Kyon is awesome enough that the series is still really good.

The main reason the novels are better is more snarky narration.