If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why I hate Anime, in a nutshell

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    The reason why manga are adapted into anime is because people are more likely to watch something on TV than go out and buy something in a bookstore or something. Keep in mind, manga has more-or-less the same niche as western comics, they're primarily read by kids and nerds. By making it into an anime and putting it on TV you then widen the range of people that will see it.
  • You can change. You can.
    Keep in mind, manga has more-or-less the same niche as western comics, they're primarily read by kids and nerds

I hope you don't mean "The same niche in Japan that western comics have here"...
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Keep in mind, manga has more-or-less the same niche as western comics, they're primarily read by kids and nerds

Actually no. In Japan, manga is read by everyone--to them reading manga is no different from reading a book, and a lot of manga are aimed at an adult audience (Golgo 13, which has been running since the sixties, is a particularly noteworthy example). Manga in fact makes up 1/3rd of all the published books in Japan.

Anime, on the other hand, is pretty much as you described.
  • a little muffled
    Yeah, that's what I've heard too. Manga is a lot more mainstream, and most anime that don't air on noitaminA are aimed at teenagers or otaku.
    Yeah, hence why Urasawa's work is as reknown as it is.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Which reminds me, I need to get back to reading Monster.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^If you haven't, read Twentieth Century Boys first. I found it much better.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm already six or seven volumes in, so I might as well finish.

And I guess, this way, I won't be disappointed, because I'll be going from really good to even better, instead of the other way around.
    ...is...that...even possible

being better than monster, i mean

i haven't read either, but i'm told by many that they are god's gift to the yellow man.

said many are also mildly racist.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Pluto is the best Urasawa manga. /facts.
  • a little muffled
    ^If you haven't, read Twentieth Century Boys first. I found it much better.
    It's a good thing kashchei is banned.
  • edited 2011-09-16 23:07:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    @Juan: It's been awhile since I read Monster, but yeah, 20CB is the best manga I've read to date. It has a great soundtrack, too.

@Malk:I wouldn't know. I haven't read it. I probably should.

@Nyktos:Why?
    READ IT! IT IS AMAZING.

Also, Juan. You read it. It's been compared to All-Star Superman.
    Kaschei loves monster.
  • a little muffled
    @INUH: She was...a bit obsessed with Monster, yeah? I remember her posting a rather angry rant about people saying Twentieth Century Boys is better at one point.
    Ah.

Doesn't really surprise me.
    > Was.

She still goes by "Johann" in IRC. 

Just sayin'
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    She's not that mad, she just loves his work.
    All I'm saing is that she still likes it. Don't think that's particularly bad. And it'd be hypocritical of me to criticize someone for posting long posts about stuff I like.
  • edited 2011-09-16 23:22:26
    Anyway, back to Monster and 20CB, I felt like the fact that Johann, for the purposes of the story, had to be as evil as a character can be led him to be a bit unrealistic, suspension-of-disbelief-wise. Friend, meanwhile, is much more credible despite his larger-scale threat, since he's basically a child throwing a temper tantrum, which is fairly easy to buy.
    Also, I still go by Shizuo and Sebastian in IRC, haven't seen those works in a while
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I've been meaning to get into 20th Century Boys, having loved Monster and all, but the description kind of put me off. Is the protagonist being a wannabe rockstar bum more interesting than it sounds?
  • edited 2011-09-16 23:25:22
    Yes. Big time. Though early on, he's probably one of the less-interesting characters in the series; it's got a massive cast, and there's really only one named character who doesn't wind up with a rather impressive depth.
    And it's been at least 5 months since I've read a DCU comic, and yet I still bring it up all the time.

Your point?
  • edited 2011-09-16 23:27:22
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    It might be my whole 'jobless, searching for a purpose post-collegeness' talking but I found the protagonist very compelling.

^READ JEFF LEMIRE'S ANIMAL MAN!
    My point was the Johann nick irc thing, DCU stuff has nothing to do with my point because you don't use DC character nicks.
    ^^Oh, I find him quite compelling. But he isn't compelling right from the start, and there are a lot of characters who are even better.
    I've used Marcus Driver quite a bit, actually.

Mostly when you were gone.
    ^^Not disagreeing.

Also, I find it hilarious that Urasawa says the character he relates the most to in the series is Shogun.
    That's...kinda sad, considering Shogun's backstory.

Though at the time, he was doing Monster and 20CB simultaneously, so I guess that makes sense...