If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Now on its own site in a more readable format - Infinite Tree

Comments

• edited 2011-09-05 21:44:46
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Alan decides to ask what's going to happen to him, then ask what's going to happen to the crewmembers of the Yggdrasil if he refuses.

Well, actually, Alan already knows what's going to happen to him. He's been recruited for a post on the Ring, the most advanced research facility on the planet. The precise details of what he'll be doing are top-secret until he starts the job, naturally, but it's a career opportunity like no other.

"So...what do you do with the captain here if I refuse?"

Mr. Powers keeps his cold stare fixed for a moment, then, to Alan's surprise, laughs. "What, do you think I'm so harsh that I'd detain or kill an old man just because you backed out of a job? I mean, I know I'm strict and all, but I'm not that overzealous. Really, that sort of thing would just makes people curious. We get way too much of that sort of publicity already."

Alan...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    then, in contrast with his appearance, he actually laughs.

That sentence needs to be redone.
  • No rainbow star
    Search memories. What would you be giving up if you took the job?
  • edited 2011-09-05 01:54:05
    ^^Yeah, I know. I've gone through two or three versions (one of which ninja'd you) but it's still not quite right.

Thanks for pointing it out, though. How's the latest version?
  • You can change. You can.
    > Apologize to Mr Powers for the silly question

> Ask: why exactly was he summoned
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It's a lot better.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Thanks.

I just realized it's 2 AM...I'll update in the morning.
  • edited 2011-09-05 15:14:01

Alan reflects on what he'd be giving up if he took the job.

Not much, really. He's been so focused on work throughout his thirty-five-year life that he doesn't really have any friends to speak of. Even the phone was mostly for browsing the internet. That's probably why he was offered the job in the first place.

He's already sold his small condo, since he was expecting to move into the Ring for the next five years, so if he declines the job, he has no idea where to go.

Alan...

> Take the job

> Shake Mr Powers hand

> Joke a little.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ What he said. Seems like a logical course of action if you have more to lose by not accepting than by accepting
  • edited 2011-09-06 20:16:09

Alan decides to take the job.

"Well, I suppose I could hop in the water and dive after my phone, but I'm not much of a swimmer and it looks a bit chilly, so I guess I'm in."

He extends his hand. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Powers."

Powers shakes Alan's hand and helps him onto the boat.

As the boat approaches the Ring, Alan gets a clearer look at it. Four large white observation towers extend from the sea, connected by transportation tubes supported by pillars. The facility has a radius of ten miles; constructing it must have taken years and cost billions.

Powers docks the boat at a small pier extending from the West Tower. Alan notices that there are no other boats docked and wonders if this one is the only way off the Ring. Powers gestures to a white door set almost seamlessly into the surface of the tower.

Alan...

> Memory: Specifics on terms of available resources (Food, internet, etc etc)

> Ask: What's Powers' position in all this
  • No rainbow star
    >Action for segment where you decide whether to join: Decline and go back home (I want to see if I understand this right or not, so better to try this early on in case if I mess up how you do it)
  • edited 2011-09-24 13:16:47

Alan wonders what Powers does and considers available resources.

People live here, so presumably there's food and water. He has no idea, though, whether they're flown in or grown here or what.

No contact with the outside world is allowed, so there's no internet access.

It occurs to Alan that he's not exactly sure what Powers does. "So, you said you're head of security? What exactly do you do?"

Powers looks out to the sea. "Well, for the most part, I monitor comings and goings, such as yours. A facility like this can't be entirely self-sufficient, of course, so I have to check on things like food shipments to make sure we don't have a journalist hiding in a crate of light bulbs or anything. I'm also in charge of the rest of the security staff, so if one of them fails to do their daily sweep, I'm the one who yells at them for awhile. That about answer your question?"

Alan...

• No rainbow star
    (So did I do an action to an older segment wrong?)
  • edited 2011-09-05 14:17:11
    (from here)

Alan decides to decline the job.

"You know what? I don't think I will take the job. Sorry for wasting your time."

Powers nods, then calmly draws his sidearm and shoots Alan in the head.

END OF PATH
  • edited 2011-09-05 14:18:04
    ^^No, you just need to wait for me to type it out ;P

EDIT: Note that if Alan dies, that branch will end, as there's nothing for you to control.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Oh XD Then sorry

And huh. This format reminds me of a choose your own adventure book, but with far more options
    Yeah, it kind of is.

I should note that Alan dying because he didn't take a specific route won't be the norm. I should also note that just because there only appear to be two outcomes to this initial "arrival" bit, that doesn't mean there aren't lots of little variables that will be important later.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I can think of another one. Apparently, fear of/worry about Powers isn't out of character, so back to the segment where you could choose to take the offer or decline, before asking Powers if he would do something like kill you:

Jump off the ship/Run to cover (not sure if jumping would be out of character, so choose the one that is least out of character if either are in character enough)
  • edited 2011-09-05 15:28:03

Alan flees.

Something about this Powers guy is scaring him. He runs to the edge of the boat and jumps as far as he can, hits the water and tries to swim away.

Powers wasn't expecting this, so it takes him a moment to react. He draws his sidearm and attempts to shoot Alan, but at this distance and with the water providing a bit of cover, he's unsuccessful.

Of course, Alan's still several hours by boat away from the nearest shore in Nova Scotia, and the water is quite chilly...

Alan...

If anyone actually thinks of a way to get him out of that alive, leading to a set of branches where he's not even working on the Ring, I will be highly impressed.
  • edited 2011-09-05 15:20:05
    Before I type any of those up, I'd like to note that I initially made an error in terms of what this segment was meant to follow. It now correctly comes immediately after the first segment. This is highly significant in terms of Alan's chances of survival.
    For the record, the link at the top doesn't link to any posts.
    It links to the top of the thread, i.e. the OP. I don't think you can actually link to the OP any better than that. Vanilla is weird that way.
    Ah. I just thought it would link to Icalasari's > Flee post.
    Ah, no. Each (from here) links to the segment of story before it for easy reference.
  • edited 2011-09-05 15:52:39

Alan attempts to swim back to the Yggdrasil in order to hide behind it.

Unfortunately, good eyesight is what got Powers his job, so he sees Alan. Out of bullets, he jumps in after Alan, quickly swims over to him, grabs him by the shoulders and pushes his head below the surface. Alan manages to retain a lungful of air, but he's going to have to act fast if he wants another.

Alan...

> Push Powers against the Yggdrasil and smash his head against the hull