If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I am not ready to quit TV Tropes yet

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    hence why I gave up earlier on the thread.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    And I remember why I gave up on TRS >:/
  • Poot dispenser here
    Dammit, Cygan, now I'm thinking of the XKCD strip about the competing standards.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Link?
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    The punchline is pretty sad,
    That made me laugh in a strangled way. 'coz it's true.
  • edited 2011-08-18 23:58:29
    Poot dispenser here
    How do you laugh in a strangled way?

Also, I'm tempted to post that in the thread, but I know that would most likely get thumped.
    Where you're trying not to sound sad.

I'm not replying to it at all.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    You're trying to rename "deconstruction"?

What do you think it should be?

I think it's fine right now, as a term for taking apart the pieces and premises of a story/setting and handling how they would work in a different (generally more realistic) context.
    Well, it turns out we have... pretty much the exact same trope under Reality Ensues.

The thing is, though, deconstruction has multiple different meanings, only one of which is related to this trope. And yes, most of these types of deconstructions are used in serious literary analysis.
    The problem is that it's like calling something X because the word sounds like it fits, without taking into consideration that the word doesn't really fit, yannow?

Deconstruction is the literary analysis method where the reader takes apart the premises of a story and see how they hold up against each other, in order to check if they're consistent. Whereas TvTropes definition doesn't check if they're consistent against each other. It takes the premises and moves them to a different context, without checking how they work in the context in which they were found.

As such, I believe a rename is needed. 
    A friend of mine has this to say about the site.

"It claims to be a tool for literary analysis, but if you actually want to use it in anything approaching that context (say, to help in report) it's not all that useful. I find it useful for identifying trends in casual viewings in forms of media, but it has a negative impact whenever it's in any relation to actual work."
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^I agree with that completely. Maybe we should say 'Tropes are toys' instead.
  • edited 2011-08-19 02:17:53
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

• Clean your room little Billy
    ^^^ Pretty much. I was (and still kind of am) happy to use it to find out interesting trivia or little details I hadn't picked up, but the real analysis is best left to more rigorously academic projects.
    There are a lot of tropers who disdain academia for literature and cite TV Tropes as some sort of inane proof for that, but I think it'd be unfair to blame the site for people who use it as an excuse to beat up on their surrogate english teachers.
  • edited 2011-08-19 02:26:20
    You can change. You can.
    ^^^^ Agreed as well. 

In fact, that's my main peeve with the site. The site claims to be something it's not, and in the long run, this affects both the community and how the site was perceived.

^The problem is that the site does provide a vehicle for them to do it and it implicitly condones it by allowing people to do so.
    Ok, let me rephrase that. I think it's unfair to blame the site's current basic concept for that. Execution, obviously, leaves much to be desired.
  • edited 2011-08-19 02:43:17
    ^ x 7

Pretty much exactly what I have to say on the subject.
  • edited 2011-08-19 07:26:20
    "It claims to be a tool for literary analysis"

Not that I'm doubting you, but where is this claimed on the wiki? The home page mentions cataloging, but no literary analysis.

The reason I ask is because I've seen this criticism a few times, but I've never seen anything on the wiki that indicates a focus on literary analysis. I've never been under the impression that it was for anything but cataloging in the couple of years that I've been actively contributing.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    So, OP, still not ready to quit TV Tropes?
    The reason I ask is because I've seen this criticism a few times, but I've never seen anything on the wiki that indicates a focus on literary analysis. I've never been under the impression that it was for anything but cataloging in the couple of years that I've been actively contributing.

That's based on quite a few comments by the staff.

I would look it up right now, but if you'll excuse me I have to get back to playing Eden now.
  • I would take any forum comments by moderators with a grain of salt, considering that 99% of all the sites viewers will never have seen those comments.
    Yes, but it is those people who decide and enforce site policy.

On a break, be back in a few minutes
  • edited 2011-08-19 07:42:34
    You can change. You can.
    OTOH, they still represent the purpose and mission of the place. 

^bad cygan. stop ninjaing me. >:(
  • I'll just have to reserve judgment until I see those comments.

• I can say that TVT has put me in a more analytical mood and has made me think about why a work works the way it works. It, however, hasn't taught me anything to better analyze works.
    Should I just link any posts I see that represent bad policy, etc on their posts from now on?
    I can say that TVT has put me in a more analytical mood and has made me think about why a work works the way it works. It, however, hasn't taught me anything to better analyze works.

Puhretty much.
This discussion has been closed.