If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Higurashi.

edited 2011-08-03 07:21:13 in Media
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
I was not really sure where to put this, so I put it in the Webspace area. If it should be moved to Media or Liveblogging, tell me.

Anyway. Onto the purpose of this thread.

I watched Higurashi: When They Cry a while ago. It was before I turned seventeen, so over a year ago now. I think. I should keep track of the date better.

It scared me. I will admit that. The murders are brutal and sadistic, the characters rarely escape their fates, and worse, every time it's over again, everything resets, and everything is happy and cheery again, and you can't celebrate, because you know that if you keep watching those characters you are trying to feel sympathy have a ninety percent chance of dying and/or snapping and going on a murderous rampage.

However, the internet at large seems to disagree with me. Near everywhere I turn, I hear people talking about how great the show is.

So I decided to sit down and watch it again a few weeks ago. I came prepared this time, with a bottle of wine so I could drink myself into a stupor if I found it to be as bad as I remembered it.

It wasn't. It was fairly well-done, and the characters were more engaging than I remembered them being. Watching the second season through to its' conclusion made the mystery through it all make a lot more sense, and it seemed to be much smarter than I remembered it being. It wasn't as bad as I had previously thought of it.

However, there was one thing that did make it hard for me to watch it right through, and has resulted in me only watching it while fairly tipsy these days: The deaths.

This is the only case where I thought my recollection of it all was fairly accurate.

The deaths were brutal, sadistic and painful. There are scenes where I just wished for them to end already because there is no need for you to spend this long murdering them.

And this brings me to my point: Higurashi is often labeled as a Mystery/Horror game. However, I feel (This is just a personal thing though) that there is very little actual horror in the anime. While that is not to say that there is no horror in the show- there certainly is- much of what is often labelled as 'horror' would be more correctly labeled as 'violence' or 'gore'. I feel that the show would lose a lot of what defines it as Higurashi if the violence was less extreme, though.

In conclusion, Higurashi is a very good game and show if you like a show with a strong, complex mystery bent that takes a long time to unravel and requires you to think about everything, you will enjoy this show.

However, if you do not enjoy watching every character you have come to care about die again and again in needlessly brutal and sadistic ways, then this is not the show for you. If you do enjoy people dying in horrific ways, then you will enjoy this show.

Discuss.

(This is probably a bad idea for a thread, I should not make threads after drinking.)

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Moved it to Media.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't see what's wrong with a review.

Sadly, my lack of interest and knowledge of Higurashi makes me unable to post. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It's a stupid review written on my memories of a show that I only watched while drunk.
  • "If you do enjoy people dying in horrific ways, then you will enjoy this show."

Is this the only reason you could enjoy the show o_o
  • edited 2011-08-03 08:10:34
    You can change. You can.
    It's a stupid review written on my memories of a show that I only watched while drunk.

> Implying that Ebert has done differently.

Now, there're other places to troll...I must go

(I liked it, for whatever that's worth)

Sure it may just be abridged and the thread might as well be called "It bugs me that people mistake Gore for horror" (One I've been meaning to make...>_>), but the background, whys and wherefores were an interest read, imo
  • edited 2011-08-03 08:10:05
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    In conclusion, Higurashi is a very good game and show if you like a show with a strong, complex mystery bent that takes a long time to unravel and requires you to think about everything, you will enjoy this show.

It's not the only reason. But the violence is a large part of the show, and if you can't look past it, then you won't like the show.

^ It also bugs me that nobody ever  mentions this violence when stating why they don't like it. Does it like, bug nobody else?
    From what I've seen, it seems to be too ridiculous for me to take seriously. 

Then again, I've only watched two scenes, so...
    It's not really all that ridiculous.

I do have a problem with the death scenes, though. They're often so long. It's rarely ever like, someone sneaks up behind them and puts a cleaver through their back. No, they always have to club them over the head then tie them down and nail them to the table or whatever. I think I passed out at that point.

It's pointlessly violent. And while it's justified in-story, that doesn't make it good.

The story would be a lot easier to take seriously if the horror was better-placed and the violence was shorter and more intense.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    The manga is even worse.

This is my addition to the thread
  • edited 2011-08-03 08:49:03
    gtfo

(joking)
  • I do not think I will be watching this show. One Piece has spoiled me too much.
    How so?

Incidentally, I have found a perfect example of what I mean. There is a scene where... someone, is essentially planning to sadistically torture Rika to death.

Instead of allowing them to do so, Rika places a knife against a wall.

Then she slams her head onto the end of the knife, impaling her head on it.

Then she does it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Seven times.

What purpose does this serve, beyond forcing symbolism in there in order to allow them to show more violence? Is there any practical reason for her to slam her head onto the knife more than once, at which point it was pretty clear she would die?
  • I have begun to hate character deaths on principle.
    Ah.
    Whedon wearing down on you, AHR? xD
    This comment from beneath an AMV sums it up.

Higurashi doesn't settle for murder. Only BRUTAL VIOLENT TORTURING murder. And it's characters don't turn crazy. They turn HORRIBLY VIOLENTLY MURDEROUSLY insane.
  • JC: Yep. Although having an immediate Do-not-want reaction to the Hunger Game's premise (and having Battle Royale flashbacks) was an early indicator.
    Yes, such shows and stories tend to turn me off.

I am fine with Anyone Can Die. I am not fine with Everyone Will Die. I am especially not fine with Everyone Will Die Multiple Times In Various Horrific Ways.
    What do you think of "Everyone will die and end up in a happier universe"?

Just as a bit of a random question.
  • ...uhm...you mean...like they don't really die?
  • Although still thrilling, the horror died for me sometime after Satoko's ark.
    Remind me which that was?
    ...uhm...you mean...like they don't really die?

They die, but their death brings them to another universe. But it is not the afterlife. 
  • Oh. That's fine.
  • edited 2011-08-03 10:24:34
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    How so?

Incidentally, I have found a perfect example of what I mean. There is a scene where... someone, is essentially planning to sadistically torture Rika to death.

Instead of allowing them to do so, Rika places a knife against a wall.

Then she slams her head onto the end of the knife, impaling her head on it.

Then she does it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Seven times.

What purpose does this serve, beyond forcing symbolism in there in order to allow them to show more violence? Is there any practical reason for her to slam her head onto the knife more than once, at which point it was pretty clear she would die?
    It's the first hint we get that [Rika is the one who remembers the cycles.]
    Although still thrilling, the horror died for me sometime after Satoko's ark.
    Pretty sure it was supposed to.
    Yeah, it's the first hint we get. But it's also pointlessly violent. They could have established everything they did there without having her impale herself seven times.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Fair point. You might have liked the VNs better.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    The manga is even worse.

No it's not....well...from what I read (up to chapter 12), and the murders are usually confined to maybe 2 pages, depending on what's happening.

In general I have seen almost no worthwhile anime that goes through so many methods of putting emphasis on "bad ending", and not bad ending as in horrible, I mean bad ending like "game over", where if you don't successfully get the good ending, things go beyond horrible for everyone.

I would still enjoy it even if the deaths were not over-the-top, albeit they would kind of be something to skim over if they were toned down too much since most of the time, it was thinking about those horrible deaths which made the struggle to succeed even more intense. Considering Rika Furude has to relive these moments constantly and remember around 500 years of them, it makes it very emotional to have a moment where everyone doesn't die gruesome deaths, even for at least one moment. Eventually they try harder and harder, and end up avoiding meeting their horrible ends, and that fear that everything will go wrong again is what made the series so emotional for me.

Knowing that if even ONE person in that story failed or was captured by the enemies, that it would lead to a horrible death, made everything have more weight than the regular shows I watched, where you never see them fail and have the world and others absolutely destroy them. In Higurashi, you know what will happen if they fail, and you actually do see them fail, so when they strive to succeed there is always that thought in the back of your head reminding them that there is no absolute certainty that they will succeed because they are the main characters. You've seen them all bleed and get dismembered many times, and wonder will this be the day they all come out alive?

I got attached to the characters very closely in Kai, and watching them fail was very sad, but as the show progressed and they got more closer and attempted to break free from the "destined" fates that would happen to them. Eventually, they all survived, and I felt teary eyed and warm inside when all of that hard work in trying to avoid an eternal death payed off. Even though in the games, Hanyuu actually dies in order to protect Rika from being shot, in the anime that does not occur. This is not a bad thing though in some manners the story would have emotional sting either way.

And while the OVAs may lack the horror, death and mystery that the main series have, and feel a little perverse and pointlessly fanservicey, I am always reminded of all of the brutal shit they had to actually go through to come to a day where they could hang out at a swimming pool with the people that killed them a couple hundred times in the past, and nothing would have gone wrong. They earned their good ending, and to see them subjected to all of that bloody slaughter and despair once again would make that feeling I had at the end of the show feel wasted.
    Fair point. You might have liked the VNs better.

I would not know. I only watched the anime originally because I had a sadistic girlfriend who knew that I did not like violence.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    As brutal as the murders were, I couldn't bring myself to be creeped out by the show at all because of how poorly animated it was.

I might play the VN at some point. I might read the manga at some point. But I have other stuff I want to do first, so for now my impression of the series is that which the anime has left me with.

dealwithit.jpg