If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Higurashi.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That's how I feel about a lot of the other horror-y stuff, but the violence was a bit... harder?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    The only bad animation I noticed was the Shmion ladder incident, and...basically anything Shion is involved with in Higurashi, I liked the demented emotions the faces had, it's just when they were moving around, the eyes and the mouth never looked right.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    As someone who loves Higurashi, I agree with Vorpy.  It really hammers in the gravity of the situation to know that Rika would take a knife to the seven times rather than be captured by Shion, especially when you realize that she's probably gone through that scenario dozens of times.  And when the characters got closer and closer to surviving the loop in Kai, I think it's all the more impactful because we know how horrible the alternative is.

The animation wasn't... good, but I never felt is was bad enough to be distracting.  Apart from the ladder scene.

Except on the OVAs.  The pool one wasn't bad, but I thought they were just... unnecessary.  And not very entertaining.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It really hammers in the gravity of the situation to know that Rika would take a knife to the seven times rather than be captured by Shion

It really hammers in the gravity of the situation to know that Rika would rather impale herself in the head with a knife than let Shion capture her.

I'm not disputing that.

I'm disputing that it was necessary to show her doing it seven times. Once would have served their purpose, and been just as awesome. Doing it twice would have strained my credibility, but okay.

Doing it seven times is just... why? You were pretty clearly going to die extremely soon after the first impaling. You made your point- you'd rather impale yourself than let Shion get you.

So why do it seven times, other than to show off the amount of blood flying around?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Because she didn't break the skull the first six times. She's not exactly a bodybuilder, after all.
  • edited 2011-08-03 20:45:21
    Remind me which that was?

The one in which [Keiichi kills Satoko's uncle.]

Pretty sure it was supposed to.

How so? Maybe they're not in the same order in the VNs, I wouldn't know, but after that there's Shion and Rena's arcs.

Edit: Duh, color tags.
    ^It's been awhile; where in the series was it? Because I'm pretty sure the series is supposed to be gradually less scary in the second half.
    ^Because she didn't break the skull the first six times. She's not exactly a bodybuilder, after all.

She certainly did impale herself, if all the blood and everything flying everywhere was any indication.

Besides that, even if there is a justification for it, once again, that doesn't make it good. In the end, after all, the result was that they showed her repeatedly impaling herself when once would have got the job done.
    Head wounds do bleed a lot.

But yeah, I think it was overexaggerated.
    They do bleed a lot.

But that's not the point. The point was that there was no reason for them to show it that many times. One single impaling would have carried the exact same message. Instead, they had her impale herself seven times because that's more shocking.
  • I guess it depends if shock is a good thing or not. Take Snape's death in the DH movie. That's a good use of shock.
    I do agree that it was overexaggerated.
  • there was no reason

because that's more shocking.

So... there was a reason?
    I should have said there was no good reason.

It's y purpose in making the thread, besides reviewing/whatever. Everyone keeps going on about how great Higurashi is.

Bu the violence is often just so... gratuitous.
  • Maybe the people who say it's great like gratuitous violence?

Most of the things I've heard about Higurashi are just that the visual novels had shit-tacular art, and that the animation in the anime is also terrible.
    Maybe the people who say it's great like gratuitous violence?
    I don't.
  • ^It's been awhile; where in the series was it? Because I'm pretty sure
    the series is supposed to be gradually less scary in the second half.

That's the third one from non-kai, after the ones where [apparently Rena and Mion are trying to kill Keiichi, so he kills them] and where [Mion apparently kidnaps/kills side characters, Satoko, and apparently kills Keiichi at the end.]
    Maybe the people who say it's great like gratuitous violence?

The two reasons I usually hear are "It's got a really great mystery arc!" and "It's such a great horror show!"
  • edited 2011-08-03 20:52:01
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Oh. For some reason I thought you were talking about something in kai...

^I like it for the sense of dread it builds up. The anime prefers putting blood everywhere.
    And thus my problem with the show.
  • The two reasons I usually hear are "It's got a really great mystery arc!" and "It's such a great horror show!"

Well, yeah, I imagine.  I doubt people are going to be saying "It's really bloody!  You should watch it for that reason!"

I just mean that maybe a lot of its fanbase is able to accept extreme (and probably unnecessary) amounts of violence, to a greater degree than you can.

I mean, perhaps it's not really necessary, but other people just probably don't see it as as much of a flaw as you make it out to be.  I don't think that excessive violence should necessarily prevent a show from being a good horror series, is all.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-03 21:00:12
    I mean, perhaps it's not really necessary, but other people just probably don't see it as as much of a flaw as you make it out to be.

So? Let them defend the merits of gore then. Cygan can criticize the gore angle if she wants to, even if others are fine with it. 

To me, too much blood just makes it narmy.

If you want to argue the merits of it, then argue it. Don't just say "some people like it BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION"

Argue it. Debate it. Discuss it.
  • Argue it. Debate it. Discuss it.

Well, I could, but I haven't watched Higurashi.

Anyway, it's just that I thought Cygan was coming across as saying that Higurashi doesn't count as horror specifically because the violence in it is so extreme and Cygan doesn't like that and somehow that stops it from counting as a horror series.

Though, rereading, it looks like I misinterpreted her, so... I dunno.  Disregard me?
  • edited 2011-08-03 21:05:02
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I just mean that maybe a lot of its fanbase is able to accept extreme (and probably unnecessary) amounts of violence, to a greater degree than you can.

As I mentioned.

However, if you do not enjoy watching every character you have come to care about die again and again in needlessly brutal and sadistic ways, then this is not the show for you. If you do enjoy people dying in horrific ways, then you will enjoy this show.

^ No, my point is that the violence is often counted as part of the horror.
  • edited 2011-08-03 21:14:21
    No, my point is that the violence is often counted as part of the horror.
    Well... fair enough, I guess.  They're not really wrong though.  Generally, things that focus on extreme graphic violence are still considered to be horror, even if the label seems a bit inappropriate.

I do agree though that people praising the horror aspects of the show would be pretty misleading though.
    The label is inappropriate though. Violence isn't horror. Violence can cause horror, but it isn't horror- and in Higurashi, it's the circumstances around the murders causing the horror, not the violent murders themselves.
    Take Snape's death in the DH movie.

FUCK. FUCK. FUCKING FUCK.

GOD. DAMN. IT.

I wasn't supposed to know that yet, and that came out of nowhere.
  • You can change. You can.
    Really, Vorpy?

Where have you the last two years and how did you evade spoilers?

Also, teach me?
    Where have you the last two years and how did you evade spoilers?

In the same way I avoided the Eragon, Animorphs, Final Fantasy VII, Goldeneye, NGE, Homestuck and Dr Who spoilers. I ran the fuck away from them. Far away. I normally don't discuss things about series I haven't finished but are interested in, and I tend to never go into the threads or meet the fandom until I actually finish or catch up with the series.

It's just, I'm not angry. Well, I kind of am. I wasn't expecting to find out Snape dies in a thread about Higurashi.

Also, teach me?
    If you find out about something you like, don't get too involved with the fandom, or wait until people have either forgotten about it or the hype has died down enough for you to not notice anything that would spoil it, like references, fancomics or memes.
  • You can change. You can.
    hmm, agreed. Tis sad really how many people don't care to cover spoilers because they think it's common knowledge.

Ah, so nothing more than I do.