If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Higurashi.

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I liked the stabbing part.
  • LOL, the anime exaggerated *everything* and you're angry about the stabbing part? I'm more angry about how they exaggerated the baseball bat stuff. As for the stabbing part, I have read that in the Visual Novel version of Meakashi-hen it's made clear that in Watanagashi-hen Rika did *not* commit suicide (which is why the start of episode 5 is just BADLY wrong) and thus was tortured to death. I can only presume that the experience was so bad that in Meakashi-hen, Rika decided "oh fuck no, not again" and when she didn't die immediately after the first stab she just kept doing it to end it sooner.

It also allows them to show Shion's *gradual* reaction that changes from disgust to just being weirded out to an impish smile to a flat out EVIL LAUGH that scared the shit out of me the first time I watched that.

Now as for why a BASEBALL BAT can draw so much blood, there really isn't an explanation. COME ON, DEEN! BATS DON'T WORK LIKE THAT!!!

Still, if not for the fact that the visual novels were just a lot better (although I was only ever able to read the first two, since they're insanely long and I almost never get the time to actually read them without being constantly interrupted) it would've been my favorite anime of all time, and if you don't compare it to the original visual novels, it still is.

The first season drew me in with its characters and mystery and the psychological aspects of horror and fear that they kept piling up. Yes, episode 21 may have been the goriest and bloodiest in the series but it was that "If you say sorry 1000 times" line that got me badly and made me shiver so much...

However, it was the really the second season, the epic story of Rika and Hanyuu that instantly promoted Higurashi's storyline to god-tier status for me. Objectively speaking, the second season has quite some pacing problems (the pacing is closer to the VN and then they drag stuff out so much that they STILL can't fit in everything properly) but then it didn't effin' matter to me. Rika for the win.

• edited 2011-08-06 02:59:03
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    which is why the start of episode 5 is just BADLY wrong

I don't think that an adaptation is "wrong" when it changes the details, just different.

I agree with you on just about everything else, though.
  • edited 2011-08-06 03:00:44
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^^agreed

^ edit: Not with you though. bad forzy.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    LOL, the anime exaggerated *everything* and you're angry about the stabbing part?

No, it was just a scene that was mentioned while I was trying to remember an example to offer.
    Also, little girls, especially Japanese ones, wouldn't be caught dead living in a house all by themselves with no weapons in a rural town. Little girls living in a house by themselves doesn't work that way.
  • @Cygan: oh. OK then. I do agree with you that those scenes could use some toning down in the anime, the scenes themselves have to be there and are plot-required and the story is worth it, but damn the scenes themselves were seriously unnecessarily exaggerated...

@Forzare: It's wrong because it pulls the scene into Watanagashi, in which it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It makes sense in Meakashi-hen *after* Watanagashi and the offscreen "tortured to death" scene happens, but not before.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yes, that is how I feel.
  • edited 2011-08-06 04:36:15
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Didn't Rika kill herself in Maekashi-hen too?  I could swear I remember that.

It's been a while since I watched the anime, and I'm only just now reading the VN.
  • She does. To go into detail, in the anime this is shown out of context in Watanagashi-hen with Rika simply stabbing herself and (apparently) Mion laughing afterwards. In Maekashi-hen it shows Rika being invited by Shion, then trying to inject her with the syringe, failing and then the stabbing scene.
  • Rika did kill herself in Meakashi-hen, (arc 5) the problem is that the ANIME version decided to show the scene out of context in the very beginning of Watanagashi-hen. (arc 2) Unfortunately, this implies that it happened in both arcs, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It happened in Meakashi-hen, and ONLY in Meakashi-hen. Which is why the start of Watanagashi-hen (episode 5) in the anime is flat-out wrong.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Why doesn't it make sense?  Rika's been in the time loop for hundreds of years, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine that that isn't the first time she's gone through Watanagashi-hen.
  • I just assumed Maekashi-hen was Watanagashi-hen from another point of view...
    Nah, they're two different loops.  But the events are pretty much exactly the same,  IIRC.
  • Yes, you can rationalize it away, but that doesn't change the fact that pointing it out properly (like people say the Meakashi-hen visual novel does) is better than just leaving it up in the air.

And yes, two different loops.

I'm not sure what's being left up in the air. It might not be directly stated, but once you know what's actually going on with Rika, it's not hard to understand.
  • Sorry Vorpy. It was the only example I could think of that properly fit the tone that worked with overkill.
    It's okay AHR.

In one of the timeloops though Shmion actually kills her before Satoko.
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3

?

from the editor's notes in the Eye Opening Arc (Shion Arc), apparently there were two different instances where Rika is unaware of Shion's intentions and willingly falls victim to her torment and kills her, and the second encounter where she eliminates herself right then and there so she doesn't have to see Satoko die before her, or allow Shion to get her mis-guided revenge on the Furude family.

Apparently Rika dies a lot and witnesses different endings each time, there just isn't chapters for them because some of them are a bit similar, with just different endings.

And then there's Bernkastel....
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Where did you get that arc translated? I've been searching for it everywhere
    The Massive Higurashi Image Collection.

I'll link it to you in a PM.
  • edited 2011-08-13 12:31:29
    So I've been reading a ton of Higurashi like a boss, and right now, I'm about halfway ( I think) through Tatarigoroshi-hen (right now, Keiichi is [retrieving Satoshi's metal bat to kill Teppei with]) and I'm definitely enjoying it more than the anime.  Which is saying something, because the anime is probably my second or third favorite.

My only real complaint is the music, mostly during the slice-of-life-ish scenes.  The creepier pieces are usually more effective, and every now and then I'll notice a bit of new music (like the pretty cool music that plays during Keiichi's last phone call with Shion in Watanagashi-hen that sounded like it was ripped from Doom, and the music that plays when Keiichi [decides that he's going to kill Teppei], but the other music is really repetitive, bland, and kind of annoying.  In fact, during the beginnings of each arc, before the creepy stuff starts, I've started to just turn off the music and listen to my own until stuff actually starts to happen.

I do think that the one advantage the anime has is that, well, it has voices.  So scenes like Keiichi slamming Rena's fingers in the door while screaming at her to get out, Mion tormenting Shion in Watanagashi-hen, and Satoko's breakdown partway through Tatarigoroshi-hen were even more effective.  I felt legitimately disturbed at those scenes in the anime in a way that the VN couldn't quite accomplish. 

tldr: I like Higurashi a lot.
    I like Higurashi more than you do.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    What this video is cool

Tomitake Flash!
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    It's weird because I don't remember him saying that anytime in the anime
  • Kichigai birthday!!

I'm whoring my account and no one can't stop me
    redistributors are always welcomed.