If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    I knew there was something familiar about his username.
  • I can see why goons with spoons would be worth the ten dollars alone. God damned college expenses using up what little funds I have.
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    Would somebody care to elaborate on this "goons with spoons"?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    A bunch of recipes, I think.
  • I think it's a forum for sharing recipes and cooking tips.
  • It is a subforum of SA focusing on food and drink. There are threads on things like cheese, tea, beer, mead, cake, steak etc. There are numerous recipies that pop up. It is a foodie heaven.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    Bought my SA account today. I should've gotten an avatar instead of ad-free ;_;
  • You can change. You can.
    Honestly, I just use adblock and I don't have to worry about ads.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Honestly, I just use adblock and I don't have to worry about ads."
    Eh. If I like a site enough, I'll click on an ad occasionally to generate revenue.

That's how it works, right? 
  • edited 2011-08-10 23:24:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Not if you're paying for it.

Also, clicking on ads you're uninterested in for the purpose of generating revenue is a felony.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Also, clicking on ads you're uninterested in for the purpose of generating revenue is a felony."

Wait, seriously?
  • Also, clicking on ads you're uninterested in for the purpose of generating revenue is a felony.
    That's bullshit. How do they "prove" whether or not you're interested?
  • edited 2011-08-10 23:27:45
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Yep. It's called clickfraud.

^It's mostly unenforced, but if you're clicking on the same ad over and over or something...that's not good.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ...how would that be monitored?
    Well, then the solution is simple. I shall never click on another ad again!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Click fraud is a type of Internet crime that occurs in pay per click online advertising when a person, automated script or computer program imitates a legitimate user of a web browser clicking on an ad, for the purpose of generating a charge per click without having actual interest in the target of the ad's link.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I clicked on the 3D Pokedex ad I've been seeing, and I've tried to keep a bit of an open mind about other ones on TV Tropes ever since The Google Incident.
  • edited 2011-08-10 23:31:16
    Has friends besides tanks now
    @INUH: Oh, I don't doubt that it's a crime, but a felony? How much revenue does each click generate that such a classification is justified? And there's also the matter of how can they even track down singular incidents? Seems really hard to enforce for an Internet crime.
    It's more a matter of people who do it often doing it a lot.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I think it's something like a cent or two.

But it's done on such a large scale...
  • I do not click on ads ever, as a general rule, but I have always thought the idea of click fraud is bullshit. As long I am clicking on your fucking ads, you have no right to tell me that the reason I have done so is not valid.
    ^But if you're not looking at whatever it's leading to, then you're not providing them with any value.
  • They're not entitled to value. It's my computer and I should be able to click on what I want for any reason I want.

But whatever, I'm about to lapse into angry-at-no-one-in-particular mode again and I don't like that.
  • @The Something Awful thread: Scrye, don't be a dick, Fawriel is a nice person.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    ^Bite my shiny metal ass. Just because someone's a nice person doesn't mean they contribute anything of importance to anything, and in this case, he dropped the ball on trope-tan. He might be a swell guy to hang around. He might have some good ideas here and there. He might be funny when he's not trying, and he might be the kinda guy to help you move, but that doesn't change trope-tan from being a mental abortion in jpeg form.
  • That is a really, really, really, really, really petty reason to dislike someone.

Well aware of the hypocrisy, thank you.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    Plus why are you reading the SA thread if you totally don't care?
  • I do care what they have to say, though.
  • That is a really, really, really, really, really petty reason to dislike someone.

I'll second that. Seriously, hating somebody for creating a mascot for a website he likes?