If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I'll stop editing or trying to improve the wiki in anyway. I'll probably still post on the forums due to sheer inertia. I'll consider joining SA more than I am now. And most importantly, I'll stop defending the site.
  • You can change. You can.
    Meh, I'll stay, but I've had many reasons to leave beyond TT's existence. This isn't just the same place that I used to love and hang out with. It may be because I was blind or whatever, but wherever I look, I see more and more people passive aggresively attacking each other, moderation jumping down on jokes and the like, not to mention that now, it seems that everything can be miscontrued into a personal attack these days.

Discussion is barely happening, and there're no places to discuss with people without turning it into a srs bsness deal. And YF has become nothing but mega threads to me (Which is not bad as I like said mega threads, although not all of 'em)

Overall, the reason I'm staying by now is because there're some users I like and some threads I'm rather fond of, but I'm willing to throw 'em away if I find, say, a way to stay in contact with most of said users and preserve the mega thread environment. Such as chatrooms. Sadly, not everyone logs on in #yackfest.

TL;DR: I really want to leave, but I can't find a reason to do so.
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    I'd join SA too, but, uh, 10 dollar fee.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Why would you people want to join SA?
    Because of the Magic thread, in my case.
    They look like some cool folks.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    @SA

What is the policy on threadshitting?
  • edited 2011-08-10 17:02:59
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ Well, YMMV there pretty strongly, I guess; I don't find pointlessly mocking things to be particularly amusing, even if the people doing it are without a doubt quite intelligent people.

With the possible exception of Retsupurae.
    Yeah, a good number of the people there are idiots, but in the TV Tropes thread alone they bring up some legitimate and thought-provoking criticisms of the site and how it's run.

I've also seen the SA people themselves say that they've mellowed out some what.
    I wouldn't mind at all if they joined TVT, or for that matter, this site.

That said I still don't think that their forum environment is particularly newbie-friendly, and I tend to not like that atmosphere.

That said, I've never been there so I don't know firsthand.  However, $10 doesn't seem like a useful investment for me to make to find out.  YMMV obviously.
    The forum's big enough to have multiple sub-communities, so I guess some are better than others and you just find the one in which you fit in.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    ^^ I just the get the impression it's very much anti lolicon.
  • Only somewhat here
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Goons with Spoons has covered the ten bucks on its own.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Having taken a look at it the other day, I'm willing to believe that.
    I honestly don't understand what's the advantage of using GWS and posting above lurking.

EXPLAIN.
  • edited 2011-08-10 19:23:11
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    SA guy in the TV Tropes thread:

We are not here to fix their problems. We are here for this:

[Insert collection of Troper Tales]

I'm sorry you think that, sir. Frankly, I think the discussion of TVT's problems and how to fix them is the most interesting thing about the thread, but maybe that's just me.

EDIT: Then again, the thread does exist mainly to pick out TT gems for the amusement of the general public.
  • > I wouldn't mind at all if they joined TVT, or for that matter, this site.

A lot of goons, especially the ones in their thread on TV Tropes, would not be caught dead on the wiki as it is. Not to mention, if more than one of them joined up, it would look like a raid.

@vacasama: Now what could have possibly given you that impression? :p
    We have had many join here, like Vicas, Shlapintogan and Miijhal.
  • edited 2011-08-10 19:26:14
    Shlap and Miijhal don't quite count, given that they only recently joined SA/quit TV Tropes. And I think Vicas just made that one post and left.
  • edited 2011-08-10 19:30:43
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Well, polymphus (SurreptitiousMuffin at SA) also has an account here, though I don't know if he posted; we had a PM discussion, though, on whether or not it was okay for him and the other SA dudes to be posting here like they were, and ensuring me that he'd bring SA moderation in if people acted up from there to here.
  • edited 2011-08-10 19:29:45
    Woki mit deim Popo.
    ^^ I guess it would be constant use of smug smileys.
    @AnneBeeche: I definitely agree that they're smart people with interesting ideas about how to improve TV Tropes.  That said, as you noted, the thread is pretty much intentionally about pointing out the worst of the wiki community for mockery purposes.

If they actually joined the wiki/forum or this forum, with the actual intention of improving TV Tropes, I'd be fine with that.
  • Except that if they did that, it would constitute a raid, and their thread on us would be shut down...
  • edited 2011-08-10 20:20:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Or they could not be silly, and avoid joining en masse, and just have their people start posting in relevant threads by suggesting good ideas and helping to implement them?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    There's still a good chance that the very second they announce they're from SA, some people on TVTropes will flip out. 
  • edited 2011-08-10 20:23:12
    @GMH: No, even that would count, according to their mods.

@GLORIOUSLeader: :(
  • edited 2011-08-10 20:44:26
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    I think the best bet is for a small amount of people from TV Tropes to join SA and talk to them on their turf (it will result in the least drama), but unfortunately not everybody's prepared to fork out 10 dollars.
  • Our defenders on the thread are Guy In White and Morven.

So really, we only have one defender, but at least it's a mod.
    ...wait, GuyInWhite is a goon SA member?
  • I think he just joined to defend TvTropes, even though they banned him like, four times.

In other circumstances that might be heartwarming, but Guy In White is not high on the intellectual totem pole and it's just embarrassing and occasionally irritating.