If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Improving and expanding IJBM

edited 2011-06-11 15:54:07 in IJBM meta
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
Not a complaint or a joke thread!

I like this forum, I would like to see it gain more people and more community.
The question is how.

My only idea is since the IJBM is no longer associated with Tvtropes, we get ourselves a real front page/splash page with a description about what IJBM is about (Somewhere to complain but also fun).
However I have no idea how doable that is.

Thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    Start by getting rid of the random bitching.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    That's far too intertwined to get rid of effectively. 
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    There you go.
  • Find consistent usernames from elsewhere on the Internet.... and then make a whole thread where everyone takes the piss out of them.

... What? I'm living proof it works.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Pimp IJBM on other forum?

I'd do this except I'm not really on any other forums.
  • You can change. You can.
    Start putting ads everywhere.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Pimp IJBM on other forum?

I'd do this except I'm not really on any other forums."

Same. I'll try it once I've lurked over at other forums enough. I'm considering Giant in the Playground. It looks pretty good, as far as forums go.
  • edited 2011-06-11 16:18:02
    Cue-bey
    Insults drama queens

aquire cachet
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ Hehe at cachet.

However good attention would be better than going around causing fuss by insulting people.

The advertising on other forums sounds good.
    I think that liinking to threads here would be useful as well. I mean, I got hooked up here because Cygan kept linking me here.
  • edited 2011-06-11 20:21:10
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Yeah that should be good.

I still feel a nice front page with an explanation would help more.
    (Unless you give a comprehensive explanation in your link.)
  • edited 2011-06-11 21:00:12
    Loser
    I am not sure if this would work, but maybe we could have a place here for liveblogs. I think that could certainly receive more attention here than they might on TV Tropes if they had a separate category. I also feel like they would help the site seem less negative. I am not sure about this though and I wonder if they would be best suited to be placed somewhere besides just another category.

I am thinking that adding another category for IJBMer joint activities might be a good idea. I think that in such a category people could set up schedules for playing online games together, work jointly on other projects, or organize things like writing contests and the such. Again, I think that having such a category would probably only make sense if people actually posted there. Obviously, I imagine that other people need to express a willingness to have that category before it could be justified.

I have heard some people talk about RPs as well and I think having RPs here might be something to consider though I lack expertise in that area.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That second one is a good idea, actually.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    I also feel like they would help the site seem less negative.

Considering the subject of mine, I don't think that would help. 
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    @Louie ;
    It would be good to have these categories/sections ready but it would help if we had a larger community as well, as then you'd have a lot more participation.
    I like the idea of liveblogs, actually.

As for the other one...I'm not sure...It involved all of us having lots of resources we might or might not have (A console, for example)
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Liveblogs may not work in thread format, though. And it would look weird to have them in among the other threads.
  • They worked fine on TVTropes.

Saying that, I LOVE the new system over there.
    Liveblogs may not work in thread format, though. And it would look weird to have them in among the other threads.

I prefer them in thread form, actually, but that's just me. And most importantly, we can create a new category for them. And we have a wide array of topics. Everything looks weird with everything, if you ask me.

We can create a category for them, but they're still buried among the other threads.
  • edited 2011-06-11 21:29:48
    Liveblogs not only were originally in thread format, but they still are on Something Awful (well, Let's Play's, but same thing), and it works out fine there.

^ This is true though.

And the search function here is horrible.
    We can create a category for them, but they're still buried among the other threads.

You can keep them alive if that's the problem. I normally tend to seek discussion as much as I look for posting my opinions/musings of a show.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You know, you can click on a category to view just it.
    It's more like, liveblogs always worked because they were in a seperate category to everything else. The liveblog namespace, liveblogs, the LP space...
  • You know, you can click on a category to view just it.
    Mine wasn't. Mine worked. 
    Yes, but most people here won't filter out one category when they're not looking for the liveblogs.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Would we have enough liveblogs that they would clog up the thread list enough to be a problem, though?
    I do not know.
    I don't know either. 

How many people here would actually make liveblogs if we were given the option?