If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rottweiler got banned

edited 2011-04-22 21:36:01 in General
Now OT threads are going to be even more boring circlejerks than they already were.

Also, you feel the need to constantly bitch about him, but Tongpu gets off fine? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Comments

• I can't say that is entirely surprising...

Any guess as to what it is that did him in?
  • I like Rottweiler even though I disagreed with him on certain points.  Honestly though, he could be very patronizing at times, which is likely what did him in.
  • It's hard to not feel some schadenfreude when this happens to someone with views as infuriating as his, but I really have to wonder how level-headed and fair of a decision this was.
  • Is Rottweiler your new Hatecrush, Gelzo?
  • He never really broke the rules when I debated with him, always seemed pretty pleasant, I just don't see why he was banned.  
  • edited 2011-04-22 21:50:39
    Loser
    Myrmidon,
    I got the impression that On Topic Conversations tended to intimidate people who believed they were not smart or educated enough to contribute to the threads there (at least I remember a few people saying that at some point). I would guess that decreased the diversity of tropers (and thus viewpoints) expressed in those topics, but I am not sure about that since I am not a regular in those parts. Sorry if that is not quite relevant to what you said. I am a bit concerned that I may have misunderstood you.

On your second point, I think it is generally not a good idea to complain about tropers anyway. From what I can tell it rarely actually does anything aside from making people defensive or generating personal grudges that are unfounded and make it difficult to look at things post-by-post. I think such grudges can make it harder to benefit from conversations because one reads certain tropers' posts through one's own pre-conceived notions of those tropers rather than what is actually said in those posts.

That being said, I suppose some people respond to constructive criticism and suggestions and I do think that behavior that explicitly breaks the rules should be reported. I guess I might like to see clearer rules though.

• Silly. You're the one that has hatecrushes, remember?
  • Can someone tell me what actually happened?
  • Rottweiler got banned because people can't figure out how the ignore extension works.
  • So how long until all sane people with alternative viewpoints are banned from TvTropes? There can't be that many left...
  • Does anyone want to ask exactly what got him banned?  Would the mods get mad if we asked?
  • I'm guessing (if it can even be called that) that we'll be given no information at all, and Kwarizhmi will later come on here and say he has no idea why this happened.
  • edited 2011-04-22 22:04:43
    Because you never know what you might see.
    No, I know why it happened.  He got banned (temp banned, unless I'm very much mistaken) for rudeness.

Specifically, he was banned for dismissing gay history as the study of "Americans who liked anal sex".
  • Yeah, we can't have that. That would be like saying that all police officers should be killed or fanboying serial killers or something.
  • It's about what I thought.  Like I said, rottweiler could be downright mean during debates.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Oh, come off it, Myrm.  I don't like that he was banned, but surely you can see the difference between the expression of a controversial opinion and the use of provocative and inaccurate language to dismiss something like that?  He was being inflammatory.
  • And the aformentioned opinions are not inflammatory?
  • edited 2011-04-22 22:14:09
    But they're honest, civilly stated opinions, not outright insults.
  • So I should Holler at the mods the next time Savage Heathen says Gubbermint?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Probably, if he's using it to insult the intelligence of a group of people or something like that.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-26 22:34:39

[Comment deleted]
    [Reason: Shitpost(?)]

• edited 2011-04-22 22:24:17
    That's not an alternative viewpoint, it's a lie.

I don't actually remember you doing anything bannable.
  • You haven't been banned because you're awesome and everyone loves you, Middie.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-26 22:34:20

[Comment deleted]
    [Reason: Shitpost]

• Shut up Middie, you're the best!  -attempts to hug Middie-
  • Because Vorpy exists.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-22 22:27:49
    ^Point taken.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    *looks at this thread*

• This thread doesn't really have anywhere else to go until Rott comes to IJBM 3, so I hereby requesition this thread so that Bob and I can derail it!
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-22 22:50:48
    Eh...