If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Arguing with birthers

Comments

• edited 2011-04-21 20:56:29

-So how am I supposed to interpret "I wuv yew too." in any way other than "La la la, I'm not listening!"

-That's what the underlying implication is, especially when you respond to birth certificate evidence with "I wuv yew too", and also say "But every time the issue is brought up people just shout back 'don't be ridiculous you're just a conspiracy theorist who doesn't know anything.'", as if to say "Stop picking on me!".

• Way I see it the birth issue is closed attack the man's pollitics if you have an issue and stop witht he birth crap.
  • edited 2011-04-21 20:57:46
    I like turtles.
    ^^

I should mention again that I was responding not to the evidence, but to the claim that I am "fucking stupid."

I should also mention that before tonight, on every other site I've seen the issue brought up, that's all anyone has ever responded with.
  • edited 2011-04-21 21:01:16
    ^ I don't suppose you provided compelling evidence against Obama's citizenship in those forums? If you don't do that, and just spend your time distrusting evidence without any basis for said distrust, you really shouldn't be surprised if people think you're stupid.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "I should mention again that I was responding not to the evidence, but to the claim that I am 'fucking stupid.'"

But you could have simple not let that comment get to you and instead respond to the more pertinent part of the post. Letting that get to you is going to impede your ability to respond sensibly.

"I should also mention that before tonight, on every other site I've seen the issue brought up, that's all anyone has ever responded with."

Probably because they assumed that you had actually done a sufficient amount of research on the matter already, to form your stance.
  • I like turtles.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't assuming that your opponent does or does not know something bad practice in a debate?
  • edited 2011-04-21 21:38:23
    Has friends besides tanks now
    It goes back to how qualified you are to be identifying with one set of beliefs or another: in order to take my opponent seriously in a debate, I would have to assume that they have some independently-gained knowledge of the subject at hand. Checking the facts would fall under that independently-gained knowledge. Although this really doesn't count as a debatable subject, since it's an argument that can be decided with factual evidence.

I'm not actually a debater, so i can't give a definitive answer when it comes to etiquette, but I would imagine this holds true. Seems to just be a common sense thing.

And I'm pretty sure dancing around an opponent's claim and displaying a persecution complex is bad practice in a debate as well. Just throwing that out there.

I could also swear that you're evading the main point that's being made again.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hey everyone!  I have just found evidence that Mai-HiME contains a Kenyan-born character!

• ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    ^OMG~!
  • edited 2011-04-22 05:35:43
    Pony Sleuth
    Wow, Turtle... Thanks for giving me a chance to use this.

• What erm...what is a birther?
  • Someone who doubts that Obama was born in the U.S.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    What erm...what is a birther?

The idiots that think Barack Obama isn't a United States citizen.
  • Specifically, that he wasn't born in the United States and is thereby ineligible for the presidency.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Which is inconsequential, seeing as how his mother being from Kansas would automatically make him a U.S. citizen. 
  • .....OH.

I thought you guys were taking about pro-lifers....

I'm not a birther, I'm a pro-lifer...
  • .....OH.

I thought you guys were taking about pro-lifers....

I'm not a birther, I'm a pro-lifer...
  • GLORIOUSLeader: Actually, no, there's an extra requirement for the Presidency that you be a «natural born citizen», which presumably means «not naturalized».
  • Honestly  Chagen I'm sort of in the middle in a sort of reasonable "Ron Paul" sort of way.
  • Well that's just silly, I mean, if he wasn't an American Citizen I'm certain he wouldn't even have been able to RUN for Presidency, I'm sure someone'd have discovered it y'know? 
    ^We're dealing with a very discerning bunch, you see. They don't beleive in using their heads, they just need a reason to hate this person and will latch on to any little idocy they can use, evne if it doesn't makea  lick of sense.
  • Hell if they're going to hate him do it right. Hate him because he wants to increas taxes ands pending, hate him because of the new wars he's launched, I personally don't trust him for the reason that he's a carear pollitician.
    Hate him because he refuses to actually get much done. Jeez, there's compromising and then there's just pandering. 
  • not getting anything done? So much for change.
  • It seems to me that Birthers actually hate him because he is black, but they can't just say that, so they claim he's not a natural born citizen.
    ^ That's exactly the reason but if I brought it up it would look like I was "Pulling the race" car, but yeah, they need a reason to be asinine bigots and the "Birth" thing is the thing they go with. Anything to justify their unreasonable bigotry. Same with all the "Muslim" proclamation.

Gee, Make Islam look bad why don't ya.

God, this is so annoying, I hate this sort of thing.
  • What I find really strange is that most people either love or hate Obama because he is black, and very few people seem to be really fussed about his policies.
  • It doesn't mean shit that he's black his pollitics are all tha tshould matter here.
  • I suspect that this also arose from the standard Republican-affiliate smear tactic of "Spread around blatantly false allegations in an effort to sway the easily deluded from voting for the opponent." Something similar happened with McCain in the 2000 Republican primary against Bush, where in South Carolina rumors were spread that he had an illegitimate black baby. Also lol Swiftboat.

I think that this time, even the initiators were surprised at just how persistently this particular rumor has stuck around.

Wait, illegitimate black baby?

Holy shit! All those Colbert Report jokes suddenly make sense!