If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah...

• My arms are falling off!

That's what f.lux does; it's designed to reduce blue light at night, making the screen easier on the eyes and not keep one awake. It's also a subtle way to tell when the sun has set or risen, as the first thing it does is calculate sunrise and sunset times based on your geographical location so that the color temp changes in time with sunrise/set cycles.

If you are using Windows, and somehow manage to end up with a file whose filename ends with a space (it's rare but under certain circumstances it can happen), you may find it impossible to do anything with that file.  It can't be opened, moved, or deleted, because the file cannot be found.

Apparently, Windows natively dislikes filenames that end with a space, so it probably mistakes that file for one that has no trailing space.

The proper way to delete it (and similarly, probably also to do other operations to it) is to use the command line function del and feed it the 8-character DOS-style filename.  For example, a file named "Jail of Jewels (mix attempt C) (bad) " might have DOS-style name "JAILOF~3".

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, I'm using Opera, and I'm having a weird problem. Once in a while, it gets stuck. I can scroll (kinda) or change tabs, but not close them. It gets fixed only if I click on a flash video, or whatever it is that youtube uses. Then it lets go and all the changes I tried to do when stuck happen at once. Did that happen to any of you, or you know what's going on?

Perhaps a script is hanging and backing everything up.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Any kind of one-size-fits-all way to fix it? 

• edited 2014-11-02 23:54:38
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No real idea.  Try updating Adobe Flash Player?  If that's even possible.

In other news, it seems that my language bar hotkeys in Windows 8.1 are not working inside Waterfox.

They work in other programs, except Waterfox.  I don't have Firefox on here so I can't check whether the problem is there too.

The winkey+space shortcut still works, though.

This might be the problem:

Trying to replicate this problem and now I think I found the reason.
    The reason for this is Firefox and Facebook combination. Facebook installs key shortcuts
    to Alt + Shift + numbers. If you use these shortcuts when browsing Facebook with Firefox
    it will replace these shortcuts from Windows and Input shortcuts are lost.
    I don't know whos bug is this, Firefox or Windows to allow overwriting system shortcuts ?
    You can disable website shortcuts with Firefox from about:config.

source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/custom-hotkeys-to-change-input-language-disappear/66d1d89d-e5dc-41e1-a8b3-48d596ab8e11?page=2

• edited 2014-11-03 00:25:36

> Facebook help

> How can I get rid or the keyboard shortcuts on my laptop for Facebook.

> Related Questions

> How do i Get rid of StepDaughter/son off my profile?

> How can I get rid of my husband's FB?

> How can i get rid of the sponsored ads at the right o...

Very related, sure.

éáóíúñ

hey look, the solution posted in that thread -- on page 4 -- fixed it.  brilliant!

So I finally have a use for the Skype tray icon: Because the Skype taskbar icon doesn't reliably light up when I get new messages.

• Has Windows ever found a "solution to the problem" when a program crashes? The crash is annoying enough to have to close that window in laggy mode every single time.

• Has Windows ever found a "solution to the problem" when a program crashes? The crash is annoying enough to have to close that window in laggy mode every single time.

I miss the days when a program crashing just told you it "performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" and then you ran and hid behind the couch because you thought the police were coming to your house

...In my defense, I was 5 when Windows 95 came out

• a little muffled

I freaked the hell out when I was six or seven and got one of those on a school computer.

Has Windows ever found a "solution to the problem" when a program crashes? The crash is annoying enough to have to close that window in laggy mode every single time.

It's occasionally worked for me, for things that are caused by more common programs, such as Internet Explorer.

But most of these errors occur for me for things that Windows can't fix.  Such as Spelunky v0.99.9 crashing.

• edited 2014-11-08 07:20:54
    My arms are falling off!

The worst error messages I've seen is when it's a BSOD, but it's just two lines of text, and, as the message states, there's nothing I can do but reboot:

(description of error, usually a GPF). You need to restart your computer.

System halted.

Imagine getting that at 2 AM with everyone else in the residence (if any) asleep and the lights off.

So Twitter for Android will load all of a particular account's direct messages, yet the Twitter Web Client will load a limited number for some reason.

• edited 2014-12-05 05:55:16
    My arms are falling off!

Now I remember part of why I stopped using Jabber:

Aside from the tendency of any open tools that aren't Linux or Firefox to fail hard: Because it keeps routing messages to the wrong fucking device (e.g. my smartphone's IM client when I'm on my PC, or my PC's client when I'm on my phone).

THIS IS WHY NOBODY USES YOUR STUPID ~*OPEN STANDARDS*~ FOR INSTANT MESSAGING. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE USE LINE (which is kind of better anyway) AND FUCKING SKYPE.

• edited 2014-12-05 17:59:54

IRC is the best, honestly.

Tox seems like an up-and-coming advancement to that, having voice chat features.

Both of them are platforms that have multiple clients, and can support multiple service providers.  No need to stick to one official client, or use one official server.

• edited 2014-12-16 02:24:49

My computer does not seem to be turning off its screen automatically, when on wall power.

As in, I leave it sitting there for hours, and it's supposed to turn off its screen after 30 minutes, but hours later its screen is still on.

Google Earth does not seem to allow installation to a custom directory anymore.

Looks like I'll have to resort to registry fun.

• Why on Earth (pun intended) do you need to change the installation directory?

Because I don't like installing things to Program Files.

• edited 2014-12-21 04:31:31

I install every program to its own custom directory.

1. This way, anything in Program Files is stuff I didn't put there.  Slightly easier to find out if malware ends up there.

2. Program Files tends to have some issues regarding file write permissions sometimes.  By creating my own directories, I generally avoid this.

3. Malware and scams and other things that depend on things being in Program Files have a chance of not working properly.

4. I often do portable installs.  Not everything can fit in Start Menu and Quick Launch shortcuts.  It's easier to type a shorter path if I need to get to that program.

5. Also easier to navigate to if I use that program's directory to save and open the files it creates and works with, or if I need to modify its accompanying files.

5'. In case I need to use that program via command line, "Program Files" has a space in it so it'll force me to use an abbreviated name or use quotation marks.  Avoiding that is nice.  Getting a folder name within 8 characters is even nicer.

6. I have special directories for certain programs.  For example, I have a dedicated gaming directory in which I put Steam.

7. I still like the Windows 3.1 way of unzipping a zip file, dumping the contents into a subfolder or C:\, and double-clicking the executable.

• a little muffled

glenns gonna glenn

• I'm just kinda confused as to why one would choose to use Windows if one is so opposed to the way it's designed like that
  • edited 2014-12-21 18:46:00

Well I've been using Windows since 3.1 so I know my way around it.

or because I don't know how to use MacOS or Linux

That said, why do you think letting stuff default-install to Program Files is better?

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-12-21 19:13:27

^ It tends to be more stable because so many programs hardcode Program Files paths when looking for resources -- especially when looking for things like Java etc.  It's dumb as hell and they're not supposed to do it, but they do.

So, fun IE fail of the day.

IE9 supports media query CSS (to compress elements for small screens, etc), but not in a particularly stable way.  If you have a page, and a same-origin frame inside the page, and both of them use the same stylesheet, it'll freak the fuck out because it tries to apply the width value for the frame to the upper page as well.  But not consistently.

This has been a message from Bee to upgrade your fucking browser so devs can spend their time stabilizing the product instead of holding your outdated browser's hand.

• 2. Program Files tends to have some issues regarding file write permissions sometimes.  By creating my own directories, I generally avoid this.

That's intentional. In Windows XP and earlier, ANYONE could write to Program Files, but that made it easier for malware to install itself without user's knowledge, so they changed it to require admin access to write there. That's why installing something to Program Files pops up that little "approve this?" dialog.