If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Spanish is a much cooler language than a lot of people give it credit for.

I thought people already considered it cool.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^^ Again, I meant sonically speaking, not literally. Although there are plenty of situations wherein two distinct languages may share a great deal of basic vocabulary and syntax...

^^ Yup. Or the Black Country. Housen.

^ It really, really depends.

• You can change. You can.

I dunno. It just kind of bugs me, I guess? Because like...I have yet to meet an Argentinian pronounce "Rivera" as "ree-FEH-uh."

• edited 2013-02-04 17:57:07
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The Afterman: Descension comes out tomorrow and Fall Out Boy just announced that they're back together and that there's a new album in May.

I'm in a good mood.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Talking about Argentine, I once discovered an Argentinian Celtic folk metal band. Quite decent, it was. Skiltron IIRC. And there was that Peruvian power metal, Yawarhiem IIRC. But music that was actually sung in Spanish, it's either one song by Therion, or some song I remember neither title nor band, or "summer" pop. 

• edited 2013-02-05 00:02:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What's summer pop?  For some reason the first thing I thin of is this:

• edited 2013-02-05 05:44:42
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

If you thought "the kind of cheesy, cheery pop that springs up during summer holidays, can be heard everywhere for their duration, and is pretty much forgotten afterwards", then it's pretty much this. As they tend to be one-hit-wonders I hardly even can think of any band name, save for O-Zone, and that's mostly because they got parodied hundreds of times.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Gunther is a great parody example of "summer pop".

And O-Zone are the Numa Numa guys, you've definitely heard of them.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Because like...I have yet to meet an Argentinian pronounce "Rivera" as "ree-FEH-uh."

It's really hard to convey that soft v sound when writing English phonetics, and I couldn't figure out another word to properly demonstrate final r-dropping without adding a redundant sentence. I also forgot the whole "disappearing s" thing...

Also, while the tapped r sound in Castilian does have a d-like quality (more "addle" than "damage," though), and the v is often fairly w-like (albeit not so much as Dutch), I still feel like I overdid those. Sorry, people of Spain. I made you sound stupid because I'm terrible at explaining anything.

The problem with being really into linguistics is that the ideas are really simple to sound out but a bitch to write about without either sounding like total gibberish or screwing something up epically. I did the latter.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, stuff like this?

More energetic, I'd say. Something that gets your feet tappin' when you hear it played on a beachside disco.

• Has friends besides tanks now

So, uh, I'm listening to Jeff Buckley's Grace right now, and I feel pretty silly for not doing it before. Though I recognize "Lilac Wine" (and obviously "Hallelujah") and I can't remember who linked me to it the first time.

• edited 2013-02-27 17:02:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

R.I.P. Harvey Lavan "Van" Cliburn, Jr.

1934-2013

"The Texan Who Conquered Russia" by winning the very first International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition with Tchaikovsky's 1st and Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerti, deep in the thick of the Cold War.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think these are complete uploads of both of those pieces.  Not the competition performances, but I'm not sure they were ever recorded.  But here's Van Cliburn as soloist playing them.

• edited 2013-02-27 21:36:34
    Has friends besides tanks now

Decided to listen to stuff off of Kamelot's The Black Halo again (don't know how I ever let this album slip off my radar), and I have to admit that I like this a lot more than what I've heard of Blind Guardian. Don't kill me Forz.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Decided to listen to stuff off of Kamelot's The Black Halo again

I don't know for sure, but this is probably the first time in months that music I'm familiar with has been mentioned on this site.

Not much else to add. Just felt like mentioning it.

• edited 2013-02-28 00:35:21

I always did wonder what your music taste was generally like. I figured prog/power metaller, but I wouldn't ahve guessed which bands. What else do you listen to?

• edited 2013-02-28 00:37:54
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Really, my taste in music is "stuff I hear and like." I'm don't actually seek music out as much as I could.

I do probably own more metal than anything else, but that's more because my Pandora-using phase came right after I got exposed to a bunch of metal.

• edited 2013-02-28 00:45:43

Hmm. Which kinds of metal? More classic, or extreme? Like, I dunno, power metal, prog, death, melodeath, techdeath, black, blackened death, deathgrind, deathcore (please not this one), etc? I'm guessing you would lean more towards cleaner metal, but that's less fun for me. +_+

• edited 2013-02-28 00:47:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

?_?

Um...Kamelot, Epica, and some similar stuff?

• edited 2013-02-28 00:49:34

In that case, I can recommend Dragonforce (yes, really), Symphony X, and Blind Guardian, and others here would probably recommend Blind Guardian in addition to whatever other bands they listen to within power/prog metal.

Haha, those were all under "similar stuff," though I haven't listened to any of them nearly as much as Kamelot/Epica, so I guess I'll listen to some more at some point.

Ah. Actually, I just had a thought. >:3

What do you think of this?

Not really a fan of the growling thing. I know Kamelot and Epica have both done it to various extents, but still.

Fair enough. (It's kind of an acquired taste. Lord knows I hated them at first)

Weirdly, I don't mind it for the most part in Epica, nor the one time Kamelot did it, so there's clearly more to it than just the growling.

• edited 2013-02-28 01:22:01

The other bands use them primarily as backing vocals, no? In those cases, it's probably more of just an atmospheric thing, or a reference to lyrical matter. For instance, I read that in "March of Mephisto," that's meant to be Mephisto speaking. With extreme metal, the general effect is supposed to be brutish (or even demonic) and percussive, with the lyrics rarely mattering. Of course, there's still such a thing as a shitty harsh vocalist, but it's probably tougher to distinguish good/bad vocals if you're not used to the genre.

That makes sense.

• edited 2013-02-28 02:25:17
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Don't kill me Forz.

I'm not that big a Blind Guardian fan. I've only ever even listened to like two of their albums.
  • a little muffled
    Epica were the band that made me able to tolerate growly vocals. I used to hate them, now half the music I listen to uses them exclusively.