If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Because if I cited C-pop, someone could point out the existence of the term "Canto-pop", which would weaken my stance of using a one-letter abbreviation for a country name.

Then again, "Canto" refers to a language, not a country.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Brit-pop was a thing, but current British pop music isn't the same thing. And in a different vein, the dubstep of Alex Clare's "Too Close" is certainly not the dubstep of Shackleton's "Blood On My Hands".

Genre labels are tricky, aren't they?

• edited 2013-01-13 07:53:44
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Brit-pop was a thing

Younha's latest album is basically britpop (with weird synth guitar instead of real guitar for some reason) and ballads.

Then again I'm not sure if a Korean artist doing Britpop is the same thing as Britpop.

New Brit-pop... all I can think of is Diana Vickers and her ilk.

Okay... simple question, what are certain genres really? Exactly what's the difference between a pop-rock song and a rock song and an alternative rock song?

• edited 2013-01-13 08:05:17

Pop-rock has simple structures and melodies and focus on having memorable choruses and emphasize the singer more than instrumentalists and is made to be catchy and marketable or basically is just, like, pop but with a rock band set up (electric guitar riffs, electric guitar and bass guitar and a drum kit for the rhythm section, and maybe a synth/keyboard).  Alternative rock is basically any rock music derived from 80s indie rock, so it includes a very wide range of styles and basically comes down to any rock music that isn't classic rock (or trying to sound like classic rock) or metal (except even then there are a lot of artists that mix alt-rock styles with metal).

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Thanks.

• You can change. You can.

Isn't alt-rock mostly derivative from nineties stuff like grunge or pop punk, though?

• edited 2013-01-13 10:43:08

Grunge and stuff like that is itself considered alternative rock, and grunge originated in the 80s anyway, even if it wasn't popular until the 90s.

But yeah I guess when you think "alt-rock" you usually think "90s."

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

80s alt-rock would probably be things like Echo & The Bunnymen or The Church.

Also altpop sorta came into its own then too, see The Blue Nile.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The term "alternative rock" dates back to the early '80s and for a while just referred to any rock music released independently or popular on college radio charts. There was a decent degree of overlap with "indie rock," but that term, at least by the early '90s had developed a very specific connotation—think Beat Happening, if you know who they are, or The Rain Parade—so "alternative" was a bit more expansive. It could refer to anything from the aforementioned Echo & The Bunnymen to R.E.M. to The Happy Mondays (no, really).

In that respect, the Pixies were a game changer: They inadvertently codified an entire genre of music that was, up to that point, just a placeholder term, for better or worse.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So would "pop-rock" basically describe a large variety of J-pop these days?

Also, what the heck is the difference between rock, hard rock, and metal?

• You can change. You can.
    Also, what the heck is the difference between rock, hard rock, and metal?

This is mostly based on what I remember of modern American music history:

Rock: Term referring to music that evolved from Rock N' Roll in the sixties while evading the faster twelve-bar style that permeated the original and trying to bring the instrumentation from that genre into different musical conceptions and prospects. It's mostly lost this sort of meaning these days if only becomes it has become a catch-all term for "Electric guitar music". (Rock doesn't necessarily use an electric guitar but whatever). I normally use The Doors (as in the album rather than the band) as an example of what people referred to as Rock (as opposed to Rock N' Roll) back in the sixties. 

Hard Rock: Mostly refers to one of the variations of the above where the emphasis was put on faster tempo and virtuoso style playing as well as over the top singing. Bands like Led Zeppelin or the Jimi Hendrix Experience are a classic example of this.

Metal: Metal really started as a form of Hard Rock but at a much slower, blues-based tempo and pitch. The reason for this was that Tony Iommi, Black Sabbath's guitar player, lost two of his fingertips in a factory accident. As such, he tuned his guitar to a lower pitch in order to be able to play with his prothesis. Metal evolved from Black Sabbath's sound (Which has much more in common with Hard Rock than actual Metal) by fastening the tempo of the songs while maintaining the basic blues composition style and upping the distortion-based sound. 

• edited 2013-01-14 07:52:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

h/t to @fourteenwings for showing me this song.

Hikaru Utada - "Goodbye Happiness"

I don't think the music video makes much sense so I didn't watch it (as I usually don't), and I don't understand any of the lyrics (except possibly the title, which means nothing to me without context), but the music definitely has both (1) an open, pure, "fresh air" feel to it, and (2) a sense of bittersweetness.

• edited 2013-01-14 11:13:33

a sense of bittersweetness.

That's cause the entire song is about how much growing up sucks, yet is awesome at the same time.

Warning: Iffy Translation:

So goodbye loneliness
    Humming the song of love to myself,
    My smiling face reflecting in your eyes.
    So goodbye happiness
    I never knew anything so energetic and free.
    That time can't come back again, right?
    Even so, that's okay.  Love me

The passing days
    Listening to gentle songs,
    Until now, do you remember the feelings you had when we first met?
    So goodbye innocence
    I never knew anything so energetic and free. 
    We can't ever return to that time, right?
    It's your fault!  Kiss me

Which I think fits the video's view on the modern kid and their delusions of fame, and there's always that entire "you can't do stuff like this anymore cause it's not socially acceptable when you're old" thing I get from it.

Though it always makes me really sad anyways.

• edited 2013-01-14 14:20:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well I can't translate Japanese, but I can tell that bittersweet longing by that Fmaj7, Emin7 Amin7 progression. It's like a longing, at the sunset, for when the sun was bright and glorious in one's past days. So yeah, I guess.

• So! I listened to Pinkerton by Weezer and I don't get what the big deal was. Maybe I should listen again sometime.

I also listened to The Gold Experience by Prince, and it made me want to listen to more Prince, so there's that.

• edited 2013-01-21 03:52:44

So Crystal Kay has a new project with three members of surprisingly non-Johnny's R&B supergroup EXILE (I think one of them is also in J-Soul Brothers), so it's an explosion of J-pop that sounds like A-pop.

Their group is called DANCE EARTH PARTY (Don't ask me who names these things) and they've released one single... it was...

The kind of Crystal Kay music I like? I guess, not Delicious na Kinyoubi, more Forever. The problem I guess is that it was sort of a lot of Forever, but a duet with the one guy (NESCAFE or something) and it was still Crystal Kay music, which is... not good in any sense of the word.

I guess I shouldn't have expected more. Noteable things include the music video being a tad exploitative (Or maybe they just happened to be in the in sub-Saharan Africa doing aid work and the idea to shoot it just happened to come to them?) and NESCAFE's Engrish (Engslosh, more like it) skills, which are not adorable in the slightest (they actually take away from his innate adorableness as exhibited in his schoolgirl moe pose in the promo pic), please, let Crystal do the English parts (and it was just him repeating "Do it", imagine if he got to say other things).

And Crystal Kay's terrible fashion sense is spreading (On the topic of aesthetics, change your logo people >_> ).

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

By "epic" do you mean like the literary genre? 

So, what I mean by "epic" when it comes to describing metal. The word has been used quite a lot, and to describe quite different genres. What I mean here, is that the piece of music I describe as "epic" isn't about raw anger, nekrogrim kvlt-ness, or technical mastery, but these elements take the back seat to the... hmmm... sense of grandeur. Operatic-ness. How it makes you feel. These sorts of things. If we're to talk about specific genres, then in this way often operate power metal and its various relatives. In terms of music, you can often (but not always) expect it to slow down, contain choruses... you know. Epic. In terms of lyrics they're serious in general; at the moment I can think of one band that is aiming for this kind of "epic" but is non-serious, they're explicitly parodistic (Nanowar). Mhm. What else.

• So in this context you mean operatic metal.

•  like Therion? 

• I thought he specifically meant music about characters that get used in Fate/stay night-related media.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Seems like I explain it poorly. Hmph, can't say I didn't expect it. Therion could count. I mean, perhaps let's try examples. High Water Mark by Iced Earth. I'd say this is the kind of "epic" I meant. Musically, it's nothing like Rhapsody or whatever. It's also different in... mhm... let's call it mood, to stuff like thrash. I mean, this kind of music creates a certain, for lack of a better word, spirit. Mood. You as much listen to it, as you feel it, if that makes sense. Mhm. Whatever. I'm bad at explaining.

• edited 2013-01-20 12:26:34

^irdgck some melodic or symphonic black metal bands can epic like that.

• edited 2013-01-20 12:19:10
    Tech support

^^I think I understand what you are getting at and yet I also have issues explaining it well as well.

^ Same, I can listen to black metal all day but beyond a few technical death metal albums I cannot seem to get into death metal.

• edited 2013-01-21 10:04:56

@delta534 the only death metal album i tried was fleshgod apocalypse and cannabis corpse.

i also like drone metal too alot and dark ambient and noise.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

@dronepeanut: You ought to like this thing.

• @Ironweaver:that was awesome.it reminded me of sunn 0))) a bit.

While we're at it, what do you think about songs you don't understand the lyrics of? While my English is generally decent, in music I tend to experience it as a part of the melody. Kind of as if yet another instrument. Sometimes it works well (especially if I later check the lyrics and don't like them), sometimes to the detriment of the song. In that last case, growling has a special place. Consider Skálmöld's Kvaðning (I had to copypaste these two), in which the singing is a crude growl, or Eluveitie's Inis Mona, where again we've got growl distracting us from the melody of the song. BTW Skalmold's Baldur is another decent example of that epic-ness I spoke of.

• edited 2013-01-21 04:01:28

also expermental metal?

• See, now you're talking about the effects the music has on you instead of a quality or trait one can actually clearly find in the music.