If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the 2012 United States elections thread

edited 2012-11-13 00:56:03 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

(This thread was previously titled with a reminder that U.S. citizens among this forum's members should vote on Nov. 6th, 2012.)

Because if you don't...I'll...I'll...split up this stack of napkins into five piles just to take up more space on my desk!...or something.  (reposted from Heapers' Hangout)

Seriously, though, you should vote.  And not just in the presidential race--there are lots of highly-competitive U.S. Senate, U.S. House, and state senate and state house/assembly and municipal elections going on, and many of them are located outside the so-called "swing states", yet it's these swing seats at are going to be really determining the balance of power in the Senate and House.

And why is this important?
* The U.S. Senate and U.S. House are important because that's where major changes to legislation--such as new laws or revisions to existing ones--happen.  No one else can change national policy wholesale; the president can only slightly tweak how the current laws are implemented.
* The state legislatures and municipal governments are all about local policies--stuff that's happening in your own neighborhood.  Plus, they're the places where up-and-coming politicians usually get their start--you can expect to see some of them in high positions of power several years down the road, so they're where cool new people often show up...or where dastardly new jerks come on the scene.

As for who to vote for, I'm going to suggest voting for Democratic candidates (i.e. members of the Democratic Party, a.k.a. Democrats).  I mean, take a look at this chart from xkcd...and you'll see just how skewed the Republicans (especially those in the U.S. House of Representatives) are, toward far-right members (compare to how few far-left Democrats are).  They're seriously nuts.  Especially when claiming things like how there's a thing called "legitimate" rape that never produces pregnancy.

Also, I can't figure out Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's positions on anything; he keeps changing them.

But anyway, you should vote.  If you haven't already done so.

Edit: Thread renamed since tomorrow is no longer election day.

Comments

• One of the nice things about living in Washington state is vote by mail. Also on a more local note both WA referendum 74 and initiative 502 both need to pass. Same sex marriage needs to be legal, and I want to see how the feds react when a state legalizes weed and plans to tax it. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

I would have, but I apparently didn't leave myself enough time to sort out the ballots I have as a Maine resident and as someone currently residing in Pennsylvania, or whatever. :/

• >That feel when Murkans have more progressive pot policies than Holland

Dammit, we have a pedoparty, why can't we have a pot party participating in the elections?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'd say that pot in general being pseudo-legal is more progressive than America.

Though I don't actually care about weed, so hell if I know. 

• It will still be illegal on the federal level if I 502 passes but without state help the federal laws looses some of its bite. The tax part of the law and the income made from selling weed will be a different matter. 

• a little muffled
    Even Canada has a marijuana party.

Not that they, you know, do anything. Except smoke weed, I imagine.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Mailed out my ballet a few weeks ago.

Hells yeah.

• edited 2012-11-05 14:19:50
    smote
    Weed's on the ballot here in Oregon too. Should be entertaining.

Point of interest, I'm actually posting from the ballot sorting room here, on a break while we wait for the machine to process some stuff. Tomorrow's going to be a very long day.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Voting tomorrow. 

Not telling you who I shall vote for.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

WHY NOT?

Because the ballots are secret.

Not a very good secret if I tell you, is it?

I don't understand the secrecy of votes.

It's to prevent pressure, bullying, or coercion to vote for a certain candidate.

• You can change. You can.

We all know you're a Romney supporter fan. And it's ok, Malk. I'd vote for Reed Richards were I presented with the opportunity myself.

I'd vote for Lex Luthor were I presented with the opportunity myself.

FTFY 

• You can change. You can.

No, I'm pretty sure I would vote for Reed Richards.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I would have, but I apparently didn't leave myself enough time to sort out the ballots I have as a Maine resident and as someone currently residing in Pennsylvania, or whatever. :/

Sigh, I really need to start in mid-September.

Or bother people in the downtime.

Just go anyway.

I can almost guarantee you that as long as you have some kind of ID they will not stop you from voting. 

I am now wondering what would happen if Steve Rogers ran for presidency.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    He is president thanks to public write ins in Ultimate Marvel.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I already said this, and I will repeat myself.

RAPLH NADER POTUS 4 LYFE.

Since he isn't running, Jill Stein. But she can't win, and I'm not even American, so what the hell.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

RAPLH NADER POTUS 4 LYFE.

Heh heh, "president for life".

• Saw a post on Tumblr where someone said they had filled out their grandmother's ballot form for her, and deliberately voted for Obama even though her Grandmother wanted to vote for Romney. (No I will not link you to it). I tend to avoid American politics, but this made me genuinely angry.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Yeah, that pissed me off pretty bad too.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There was a joke a couple of years ago here: the Hide Your Granny's ID movement, to loosely translate.

Saw a post on Tumblr where someone said they had filled out their grandmother's ballot form for her, and deliberately voted for Obama even though her Grandmother wanted to vote for Romney. (No I will not link you to it). I tend to avoid American politics, but this made me genuinely angry.

Wow. :|

I mean, I hate Romney too.

But just

wow. :| 

• Judging by her outlandish attire she's some sort of free-thinking anarchist

I am looking forward to an orderly election, which will eliminate the need for a violent bloodbath. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    See my worry is some Internet savvy Republican is going to use this idiot as proof of the "rampant" voter fraud republicans insist is going on. And then create a big stink.

But really this is just stupid. If you are going to commit a crime DON'T TALK ABOUT IT ON THE INTERNET!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Dick Dastardly Stops To Announce How He's Cheating

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Not going to vote. I'm Alabamian, so my presidential vote would mean absolutely nothing either way, and I haven't had time to read up on any local stuff so I'd be going in blind, which is about the worst thing you can do on election day.