If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the 2012 United States elections thread

Comments

• edited 2012-11-07 20:04:14

Also first dose of conservatears: http://uk.eonline.com/news/360904/donald-trump-vs-twitter-alec-baldwin-more-unload-after-obama-rant

I've already read Trumnp' tweets quoted there (or most of them) but I did not know Alec Baldwin doesn't watch The Apprentice. I guess you always learn something new.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I didn't know there were people who did watch The Apprentice.

-snerk-

• But you never had any to begin with.

People do in the UK, but then again, the UK version has a lack of Donald Trump.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Isn't it technically not going to be legal even after the law goes into effect? I mean, I'm fairly certain state law does not override federal law. Ever. So, I think there may not be much of a reason to celebrate beyond a symbolic victory anyway.

Lazuli: too be fair, one half of our party system is made up of lunatics. Ever look at what the neocons actually -believe- and -want-? I'd be pretty worried too if they were allowed within 5 miles of a nuclear weapon or the button to launch it.

This is true, but I've never been convinced that neo-conservatism is really the norm in this country, despite what some may think.

Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, I think there may not be much of a reason to celebrate beyond a symbolic victory anyway.

Anyone who has ever had weed is well aware that it is, in fact, its own celebration. 

Technically hailing from a place known almost entirely for its weed, I am honestly kind of sick of it, and have been of a long time, despite having never actually had it.

Aside from that, that's not what I meant, and you know what I meant. If you somehow didn't, I just meant that I don't think this actually changes anything in a practical sense. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Goddamn, getting high sounds wonderful right now. Like getting folks together and just getting stoned for a night and being a bunch of useless giggle shits.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

My essential problem with getting high is that my friends insist on going to a very specific place for it, which is a building under indefinitely postponed renovation. It's a super-duper cool clubhouse and everything, but it gets pretty damn cold. And as fun as it is to watch someone playing Slender on a projector while sitting next to a heater while toking it up, it's a fair amount of effort to go to for a joint or cone. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah, it shouldn't be a big production. Like just go over to anybody's place where there is a couch and tv available and things should sort themselves out.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Secondhand weed smoke is absolutely foul. :|

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Haven't ever tried or been around it. Wouldn't especially object if it weren't for the fact that my sinuses would almost certainly feel like I was pounding nails into them.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Several houses I've lived in in the past reeked of it.

Of course, that was because there was a drug abuser in the house, rather than regular drug users, but still. It was weed and it smelled horrible.

Yeah smoke in general makes me hate living, due to the way it reacts with my asthma.

• edited 2012-11-08 02:50:26
    Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

State officials won't go after you possessing weed anymore so it's not just a symbolic victory. People still have to watch out for the Feds though. But basically they just took half the problem out.

MJ smoke is okay. I do like the smell of cigarettes. I've always found it appealing. Not on people though.

• edited 2012-11-08 02:53:35
    Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

Also, I'm just gonna say I'm extremely irritated that my family thinks Obama is Muslim because my father's indoctrinated them so well. 

And I hate that I didn't say anything because I find proving people wrong embarrassing. 

Speak up ME! You wuss.

Did you ever try simply questioning whether Obama being a Muslim is true, in front of your family?

• 1)Order free Koran.

2)Hide it under daddy's pillow.

3)Watch drama unfold.

At this juncture, you should just have fun with it.

• name a famous Pole.

I thought about Marie Curie.

*back to lurking*

• edited 2012-11-08 09:32:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> name a famous Pole

Fryderyk Chopin

Karol Szymanowski

Ignacy Jan Paderewski

Maria Szymanowska

Artur Rubenstein

Oh, and Adam Mickiewicz.  And Wojtek the soldier bear.

• The Kazinski twins or however you spell it.

• edited 2012-11-08 10:02:17

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/03/vote-the-bums-out-the-eight-worst-congressmen.html

Scorecard:

Michelle Bachmann (R): re-elected by a razor-thin margin, defeating hotelier Jim Graves (D).

Steve King (R): re-elected by a small margin, defeating literacy advocate and former Iowa first lady Christie Vilsack (R).

Laura Richardson (D): defeated in a D-vs.-D match with Rep. Janice Hahn (D).

Louie Gohmert (R): re-elected by a wide margin, defeating some Dem candidate I don't know.

Scott DeJarlais (R): re-elected by a wide margin, defeating TN State Senator Eric Stewart (D).

Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D): re-elected by a wide margin, defeating some Repub candidate I don't know.

Joe Walsh (R): defeated by Iraq War veteran and former Assistant Secretary of Veterans Affairs Tammy Duckworth (D).

Alan Grayson (D) (not currently in Congress): elected by a wide margin, defeating Todd Long (R) (who I think is an attorney but can't find other info about).

Well, this is gonna be interesting.

Note that Bachmann was running in a somewhat-Republican district (the most R-leaning in Minnesota, actually), King was running in a slightly R-leaning district, Gohmert and DeJarlais were both running in strongly R-leaning districts, and Walsh and Grayson were both running in D-leaning districts.

So the results are more reflections of their political leans.

Recent years, with the polarization of the United States electorate, have seen the number of representatives successfully-elected on "hostile" turf decrease dramatically.  Moderate and liberal Republicans have been defeated by more conservative primary-election challengers or defeated in the general by an Democrat the moderate/liberal electorate prefers for representation in Congress, while conservative Democrats have generally been defeated in their general elections by conservative Republicans.

• Judging by her outlandish attire she's some sort of free-thinking anarchist

Wait, there was a chance to name a famous Pole and I didn't notice? 

North and South. 

(And Marie Walenska for legality. :P)

• edited 2012-11-08 12:54:05

When watching election returns, it is common to have Republican-leaning areas coming in first.  This is because rural areas in the United States, on par, tend to be more Republican-leaning, and they count their votes faster because they have lower population densities, while urban areas, with higher population densities and slower counts, tend to be more Democratic-leaning.

This, however, may not apply to individual states.  For example, much of rural Wisconsin is actually lightly Dem-leaning while the populous suburban ring surrounding Milwaukee is filled with Republicans.  I think Montana is another exception; it's mostly rural but I haven't yet gotten a good read on what areas report first (it seems a bit random).

At the national level, time zones and swing states also have a disproportionately Republican lean early in the vote-counting evening.  So-called "red" states, mostly of moderate size, are concentrated in the southeastern United States, and are generally reliably red, so tend to get called early by pundits, only to be balanced by a few generally-smaller "blue" states in the northeast.  Furthermore, the mid-to-larger states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all tend to be light blue and pundits are hesitant to call them early on.  Furthermore, Ohio, Florida, and Virginia are all swing states located in the eastern time zone.

The Great Plains in the middle of the U.S., as well as the mountainous and desert west, tend to be sparsely-populated red states, but the much more populated west coast (which reports even later) tends to completely counterbalance this and then some.

After that, no one gives a crap about Hawaii and Alaska at the presidential level.  (Though Hawaii was actually a blueish swing state not too long ago.)

Now, once enough calls have been made to put one presidential candidate over 270 electoral votes, the party disperses and no one gives a shit about Senate and House races.

And then no one gives even half a shit about state legislature races.  Even though that's where...well, laws tend to get passed that affect everyone locally.

Full results for state legislature composition changes, courtesy of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At9k6QrlThx6dG5ac083eXdUMUNUMVU5dGRHX3p1QkE

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Marie Curie

My bad, I expected everyone thinks she's French.

• edited 2012-11-08 18:46:40
    Tech support

Apparently the Romney campaign was more incompetent that I realized. There should have been people to prevent this.

In better news the opponents of same sex marriage in Washington state have conceded. Now referendum 74 will pass and same sex marriage will be legal, barring the incredibly unlikely chance that all the votes that still need to be counted are no votes.