If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM D&D game! (discussion)

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Is it bad that I'm writing up my character sheet already >_>

also the Half-Orc's expression in the core rulebook is priceless. "I still don't understand why I have to pose in a freaking thong!

• edited 2012-10-29 00:10:49
    Has friends besides tanks now

I swear that I did not steal your idea.

Haha. I'm not saying you did. I just couldn't help but draw a connection.

Bleak. bleeeeak

Ah.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Haha. I'm not saying you did. I just couldn't help but draw a connection.

Really, I just wanted an excuse to write:

And, raising his arms to the heavens, he spoke two words.

"I Wish-"

And the land split in twain.

It's a very silly reason to detail an entire setting, but eh. It works.

• edited 2012-10-29 00:23:28
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Name: Rede
    Race: Half-Elf
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Class: Sorcerer (Air Elemental Bloodline)
    Appearance: Short, white hair, green eyes, unusually round ears for someone with Elven heritage (the point is barely visible). Tends to wear dusty "commoner" outfits as opposed to robes. Usually wields a simple wooden scepter and a small "balancing stick" that, by her own admission, does not actually do anything.
    Personality: "Impish" is perhaps a good word to describe Rede. She rather resents the half-elf stereotype of possessing unearthly grace, and does her best to shatter such perceptions whenever she can. She's not a bad person, but she has a warped sense of humor that some might describe as sadistic. Her loyalty is first and foremost to herself, then to those few who she considers worthy of her friendship. Power is a very close third, and she loves collecting magic items and finding new ways to use her somewhat limited spell-pool. She's also a bit of a showoff (her hair is dyed, for instance, it's not naturally white), but knows when to keep that particular trait under wraps.
    If there's one thing she is not, it's arrogant. She detests judgmentalism and for this reason, tends not to get along with full-blooded elves, or even most other half-elves. Rede is lastly, something of a loudmouth, and tends to swear quite a bit.

wooo hoooo it's a mary suuuue doop a doopa doooo

Can't think of a good backstory. I want her to have been a street punk or something, but I cannot figure out how to work a justification for the Air Elemental bit in there.

Also I banged this out in like two minutes, so most of it is subject to change, or at least be better written in the future. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Gah, massive thread sprang up while I was at work.

I probably don't have the proper schedule for a D&D game right now, though I hope you manage to get it off the ground; IJBM RPs tend to not work.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I probably don't have the proper schedule for a D&D game right now, though I hope you manage to get it off the ground; IJBM RPs tend to not work.

Play by Post.

Oh, I might be able to do that.

Oh, I might be able to do that.

I would say that that would be cool. c:

I guess nobody else is volunteering to GM then?

Guess not.

Sorry Nova :c 

Okay. I guess it will be me then.

Do people want to just stick with the default Eberron setting, or do you want me to homebrew a setting/have you all offer suggestions on it?

I'm okay with Eberron.

Alternatively: Ghostwalk.

• edited 2012-10-29 01:10:17
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

You're the DM. Do you want to homebrew or would you like us to field you stuff?

I should note that I'm totally OK with Eberron if you are.

Ghostwalk.

eh? 

You're the DM. Do you want to homebrew or would you like us to field you stuff?

I want to know if people would prefer playing Eberron or a homebrewed setting.

Alternatively: Ghostwalk.

Ghostwalk is cool, but I would not like to plan a story out there, so... no, thank you.

Fair enough.

Ghostwalk is probably one of the coolest D&D settings, but I've never actually gotten to play in it because of that problem.

Well, I'll throw out my ideas for a homebrew setting anyway, and if you guys don't like any of them, Eberron it is.

The first idea is the city of Evermor. Evermor is a city that is constantly growing and expanding- and nobody quite knows why. People have a strange compulsion to come to the city and build it, expanding it, moving its walls ever outwards. Even people within the city have the same compulsion- they abandon their old houses and move to the outer suburbs, having new houses built, then settling in them for several years, before abandoning their new house in favour of a house being built on the new outer suburbs.

This campaign would probably be fairly short- it would probably take about two sessions to run IRL.

The second idea is... the setting I described earlier in the thread. It's set on an Island, split in twain by a mad sorceror. The Island is completely isolated from the outside world, and you cannot get in or out. War is brewing once again on the Island, and your participation could throw the balance in one direction or another. Nation versus nation, elf versus drow, dwarvenfolk versus Kobolds- you could choose what conflicts to throw your weight behind, and change the flow of power on the Island.

This one would probably be... very, very long, honestly. If you chose this one, you would be in it for the long haul.

The third setting idea I had was... it's set on a desert world, where there is a desperate lack of resources. The players involved would hail from different tribes, and would have to band together and form alliances and enmities to delve into dangerous dungeons in search of treasures that could help your tribes to survive.

This one is probably the most homebrewed one, and it would be... tricky to pull off. Your tribes would start off by having the bare minimum required to survive, and by delving into dungeons and conquering them, you would be able to bring back treasures that will help your tribe immensely- mining machines that will get your tribes precious metals, scrying spells that can search out reservoirs of water to help you survive, bags of seeds of crops that can be grown in the desert, and provide your tribes with food.

The more resources you got for your tribe, the better you would be able to do for yourself- better armours and weapons, more food rations so you can search out tougher dungeons, more gold so you can barter with other tribes. However, there is a finite amount of resources available, so you guys would be pitted against each other, and have to try and ally with a couple of the others to survive- and worry about being stabbed in the back by your allies.

If none of those sound interesting to you guys, I can just read up on Eberron.

First one sounds pretty cool. The other two seem like too much work, tbh.

What would the first one be about? Other than the city, like what missions would we be running?

Plus if we finish that we could always carry the characters over. 

What would the first one be about? Other than the city, like what missions would we be running?

You would be stopping a nefarious plot, duh.

More seriously; in a normal, IRL session, this would be the sort of starting adventure you would use on a longer campaign. You're investigating reports of a cult in the depths of the city, and you have to go in and find out what's what. Now featuring two (TWO!!!) dungeons, treasure, monsters, and the possibility of going up up to two levels.

Now featuring two (TWO!!!) dungeons, treasure, monsters, and the possibility of going up up to two levels.

Working on your Kickstarter pitching?

As you can imagine, it is not going too well.

Sounds like a good start at the very least.

I am afraid that it would not be a start; I cannot think of a further plot beyond that one.

Hmm.

Maybe it is best to go with Eberron, or something sufficiently Eberronesque, then. 

Name: Useli Rede
    Race: Half-Elf
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Class: Sorcerer (Air Elemental Bloodline)
    Appearance: Short, white hair, green eyes, unusually round ears for someone with Elven heritage (the point is barely visible). Wears improvised "commoner" style outfits with many pockets for storing magical trinkets. Generally wields a simple wooden scepter with the words QUEEN OF THE STREET carved on the side in Common. The scepter is capped with a small ivory half-dome. This scepter is effectively, simply a club. Tends to also wield a "balancing stick" in the other hand, but this is not used for striking, though it acts as an area for her ray spells to shoot out of.
    Personality: "Impish" is perhaps a good word to describe Rede. She rather resents the half-elf stereotype of possessing unearthly grace, and does her best to shatter such perceptions whenever she can. She's not a bad person, but she has a warped sense of humor that some might describe as sadistic.
    Her loyalty is first and foremost to herself, then to those few who she considers worthy of her friendship. Power is a very close third, and she loves collecting magic items and finding new ways to use her somewhat limited spell-pool. She's also a bit of a showoff (her hair is dyed, for instance, it's not naturally white), but knows when to keep that particular trait under wraps.
    If there's one thing she is not, it's haughty. She detests judgmentalism and for this reason, tends not to get along with full-blooded elves, or even most other half-elves. Rede is lastly, something of a loudmouth, and tends to swear quite a bit.
    Backstory: Useli knows precious little about her parents. She assumes she was either abandoned by them, or stolen from them, and then for some reason left in the streets of [MAJOR SETTING CITY HERE]. There, she would befriend society's cast-offs. Rogues, the odd kind Kobold, and so on. It was here where her arcane abilities first awakened--she likes to tell stories of some event that set it off, such as being attacked by a dozen Quickfoot Halflings, but the stories change, so it's most likely that she's making them up. What is more likely is that she simply discovered them over time. She has an affinity for lightning spells that have made her wonder whether she might have a tinge of air elemental in her somewhere.

I updated my thing if any1curr. Next I need to do ability scores. Are we rolling or point-buying? 

Point-buying.

I'll wait for someone else to offer an opinion on the setting, first- majority rules and all.

• edited 2012-10-29 08:17:49
    Has friends besides tanks now

If the first campaign would be quicker to run, it might be a good test of how well we can commit to this game; if we complete it without any issue, we might then be able to move onto the second campaign (with allowances for Eberron being the setting, or partially the setting), or something.

That is... a point. Okay.

Well, so far, I think it's... Noimporta, Lazuli, Saturn, you, and Clockwork Universe that have expressed interest.

Alright, then, I guess. Can I ask everyone to write up a character sheet as soon as possible?

Use the 28-point-buy system for it. (It's not listed in the Pathfinder rulebook, but it's easy enough to find the information online.)

• edited 2012-10-29 15:19:21
    I'm a damn twisted person
    Guys even if you do PbP I can see the game grinding to a halt once combat springs up. Real life D&D games can stall for a long time when the fighting starts and everybody is right there in person. For a PbP game fighting a set of ten bandits could stretch on for months.

The weird thing is, our PbP Pokèmon game actually got through fights pretty well, but stalled and died when nobody was fighting.

Use the 28-point-buy system for it. (It's not listed in the Pathfinder rulebook, but it's easy enough to find the information online.)

OK. 

There's a thing for this. Be aware of the annoying pop-up though. 

• I find this to be useful for Char-gen.