If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

13 volumes isn't that long.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Forty-five episodes.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Everest I know you are a One Piece fan but 13 volumes is way more than enough to tell a story.

• edited 2012-06-06 23:47:26
    There is love everywhere, I already know

^^^ Do you know how much thirteen volumes costs though?... Also, most manga don't even last 15 volumes.

And all the characters. Really? I don't want to have a databook next to me at all times so I can remember who the heck sword wielder number 89 is. It was also the beginning of the Uryu/Rukia/Chad/Orihime shafting in favor of people like Renji and such.

I was joking.

Though I never had any trouble keeping track of all the characters.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is Madoka like Cardcaptor Sakura + Happy Tree Friends?

Or is it like Cardcaptor Sakura + Happy Tree Friends + a sense of subtlety?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

It's more like an old fairy tale than anything when it comes to theme. It's basically a Magical Girl show where the mentor mascot has ulterior motives and 2/5ths the girls are as emotionally stable as Shinji Ikari.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's closer to Sailor Moon than Cardcaptor Sakura.

• edited 2012-06-07 01:29:00
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'd call it Faust, disguised as Sailor Moon.

Seriously, the premise is pretty much entirely lifted from Faust. If you decode the text in the title card thing for the first episode, it's the title of the first scene from Faust. And all the other weird coded text consists of various quotes from it.

@DYRE: Where have you been keeping Sengoku Collection? It's really fun so far!

Dropping Fate/zero for a while, I have enough shows to keep me busy.

• a little muffled

@fourteenwings:

Because there's a difference between 'some studios are better' and 'these guys are the gods of anime who will never be replaced'.
    Okay, but nobody said the latter.

The

'by virtue of being by'

kinda implies it.

• And all the other weird coded text consists of various quotes from it.

I don't think "mogu mogu" is a quote from Faust... >.>

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

While the Madoka manga, as mentioned, is an adaptation of the anime, it's actually based on an earlier draft. Not that it changes much, it's mostly just some small visual differences. I prefer Charlotte's manga appearance (of her second form) over the anime one, though. The "hey, look at me, I'm evil" way Kyubey is drawn later is totally stupid, though.

I read some of Kazumi and Oriko, but neither managed to keep my interest for long.

It's definitely worth a watch, but it'll help if you ignore the hype.

That's one should do with everything that's hyped so much. I love Madoka. Really, it's one of the best things I've ever seen. But still it can't live up to it's hype (which annoyed me back then too, which is why I waited for it's German release, until I gave it a try).

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> look up "mogu mogu" on Youtube

ggBn5ZHVL_s

-gesCKDIido

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6771/Mock_&_Sweet

Oh wow, this is actually a thing.

That actually looks somewhat interesting...

By the end of the year I will be poor, but hopefully after I acquire all 13 Eureka Seven AO BDs and other assorted merchandise.

• You can change. You can.

Madoka's a pretty sweet anime, short and well-presented. The plot is somewhat too relying on its emotionally meaningful moments at times rather than plot, but it's really about the characters. And really, is it never not?

• law of silence

This thread reminded me, I need to catch up on AKB0048.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ The same thing makes Evangelion work for me, even though the plot is so convoluted and cryptic that there's no way to get it without being told or reading external material. All too often, fictional works are filled with characters that are much too idealised in terms of behaviour to represent reality; Evangelion, for all its robot fights and alien shenanigans, probably has some of the most realistic characters in any media production I've experienced. It's much easier to get invested, because all the central characters have significant personal failings that actually reflect reality. 

By the end, I hadn't half a clue what was going on, but I didn't care because the conclusion was phrased as a character study. That's really the point for me, and the way the characters deal with their internal problems is more intrinsic to the show than how they beat up the alien invasion with their giant robots. I guess it's filled with my favourite kind of character -- the ones who have some of the most significant and disastrous failings, but also reconciles with those. In the context of awesome battles and stuff, but still.

My major issue with most game stories, as they stand, is how often they fail to provide this kind of character. In need not be the player avatar, but few characters in any games have failings that don't pertain to fighting or whatever. For all of its narrative hiccups, Dragon's Dogma actually approaches this; through some of the side quests (and sometimes main quests), you come to know a bit more about the characters that populate the world, and it's not always pretty. Sometimes it's quite primitive, but at other times, it's actually extremely effective at conveying a sense of character in the wider world, effectively crafting the illusion that things go on behind the player's back and that the world moves along at its own pace.

That's kind of a diversion from anime, I guess, but the point is that characters don't need to be particularly deep to pull this off -- they just need to be properly contextualised. A one-note character can be perfectly effective if they're only used in scenarios where that one note is relevant, an in those situations they give the illusion of being much deeper than they actually are. And if that successfully conveys an illusion that supports the overall experience, that's all a character needs to be. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

The

'by virtue of being by'

kinda implies it.

You seem to have missed "rather than Deen" after it. Considering Deen are terrible at what they do.

• Even Deen can do a good adaptation sometimes.  At the very least, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen is pretty extremely well-regarded.

• edited 2012-06-08 16:33:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

By the end, I hadn't half a clue what was going on, but I didn't care because the conclusion was phrased as a character study. That's really the point for me, and the way the characters deal with their internal problems is more intrinsic to the show than how they beat up the alien invasion with their giant robots.

I had the same experience with NGE.  The stuff about the Third Impact and whatnot only vaguely made sense, and the last two episodes were just a totally different tone, but somehow they nevertheless felt fitting.

I think they worked for two reasons:

(SPOILERS FOR LAST TWO EPISODES OF NEON GENESIS EVANGELION)

Spoiler:
    1. The Third Impact is supposed to connect everyone's consciousness/souls/whatever into one huge goop.  It would thus make sense that the characters would no longer be able to see each other in the real world.  Every character interaction would be reduced to thoughts shooting back and forth, in the dream-like state as shown there.  Shinji would be expected to be internally monologuing all the darn time...which is exactly what he was doing.

2. The show was a character study of the various characters and their very human failings and flaws.  Shinji was the center of focus, of course, but Misato and Asuka also got a lot of attention, and secondarily, so did Ritsuko and Gendo.  As such, it was fitting that the ending closed out the character study with the characters, especially Shinji, examining their flaws.  It was even more satisfying because Shinji actually made a character development breakthrough at the very end of episode 26, where in the last ten minutes he finally realized that he had self-worth and realized he could trust in himself rather than constantly looking to others for validation.

• edited 2012-06-08 19:33:22
    a little muffled

Just finished rewatching the first episode of RahXephon.  There really is a ton of subtle foreshadowing and such that you'd never get on a first viewing.

Watching it again actually knowing what the hell is going on it's like a completely different show.

Oh, hey, speaking of NGE, when is Asuka supposed to become likable, again? It's still a bit of a struggle.

Asuka becomes more likeable after the Arael episode. At least, I appreciated her after that and during End of Evangelion. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Asuka is one of those characters who I don't feel you are supposed to really like. She is pitiable and sympathetic, but she is still very cruel and harsh because of her problems. Or to put it another way, you can like her as a character, but as a person she is easy to sympathize with but hard to like. 

• Asuka had this scene, so if nothing else I liked her after episode 15.

I think I actually liked her from right when she was introduced though.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

She was an amusing foil to Shinji from the start, sure enough. 

Asuka is one of those characters who I don't feel you are supposed to really like. She is pitiable and sympathetic, but she is still very cruel and harsh because of her problems. Or to put it another way, you can like her as a character, but as a person she is easy to sympathize with but hard to like.

That's pretty much the same level on which every NGE character operates, actually.

• edited 2012-06-09 10:38:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, just replace "cruel and harsh" with each character's trademark flawed way of coping.